SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
perqqderqq

Just bought 1200 sf of hardwood from Brazilian Direct online

Jim Peschke
15 years ago

After researching locally and on the Internet I decided to buy my hardwood from Brazilian Direct. I'm reporting on my experience for the benefit of others.

I was certainly concerned about making a large purchase of a material like hardwood flooring over the Internet. I have used the BBB records to help me eliminate the bad companies before and it worked again here. Brazilian Direct has been in business since 2002, had 1 complaint in 3 years and 0 compaints in the last 12 months. Internet Lumber Company, another online retailer I looked closely at, had a lot more complaints though it looked like they made every effort to resolve them.

(I chose Brazilian Teak (aka Cumaru))

I tried to buy locally, but I could not find:

* plank lengths of 1'-7' (avg. 3'2") - Most exotics available are 1'-4'

* clear grade

* 3/4" solid wood

* milled in Brazil

* finished in South Carolina

For $5.25 sq. ft.

Shipping for 1200 sq. ft. was $400. The promised delivery within 5-7 days. I ordered it on a Thursday and had it in my living room the following Thursday. I could have had it on Wednesday, but I wasn't ready.

Multiple bodies are needed to unload the truck. That service is not included with delivery. We're talking about over 4,900 lbs. in my case. It took my contractor's two men about an hour to unload it and bring it into the house.

Was there some damage? Yes there was. It was pretty minor and still way cheaper. I may have been tempted to buy locally even if it was more expensive, but I couldn't even find 1'-7' length, clear grade planks.

The floor hasn't been installed yet, but I love what I see and so far so good...

If you're not looking for an exotic though it won't help. They only sell the exotics. I looked closely at the exotics on Hosking hardwood and they were all the 4' length, made in China variety (and/or way too expensive).

- Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Brazilian Direct hardwood flooring

Comments (23)