SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snappyinbrooklyn

Leveling a plywood subfloor

14 years ago

Hello everyone! I am new to GardenWeb. I ran a search but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for - so please forgive me if my post is repetitious of previous ones. I've been living in a rental apartment for 10 years now that has carpet on the bedroom and living room floors. I want to convince my landlord to allow me to remove it. I read the posts regarding Novalis and Allure/Konectco vinyl plank floors that look like wood. I think my landlord may be willing to pay for this flooring because it is so cheap (I'd need about 300 sq. ft. including the 'just to be safe' overages.) I never wear shoes in my apartment, never move the furniture about and my cat is declawed so I would expect either flooring option to hold up well over time. I would like to further save him money by installing it myself. The problem is that the subfloor is too uneven to attempt installing vinyl floors. There are even a few spots with noticeable dips. I don't want to ignore them and floor over it only to have the vinyl peel up on me. In my efforts to save the landlord money, I am curious to find out if I can level the subfloor myself. If it would take too much effort beyond a beginner's abilities, then my next question would be whether or not it would be feasible for me to sand and stain the plywood subfloor myself and simply walk on that. I peeled back a corner of the carpet in a few spots to check out the sub and realized that the wood is very splintery in some spots. Is that normal? Thank you all in advance for your help :)

Comments (3)