SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindac_gw

Oy! What have I agreed to do....!

lindac
15 years ago

Seems that a friend's brother it head of the music department of a college in waaaaay southern kansas. And in May he will take the chorus on a tour, and they were looking for an over night stop where they could essentially "sing for their supper". They will come to town Saturday and set up and rehearse in our church give a concert Saturday night and sing at our Sunday service and be on their way....they have a long trip to "way south" before they sleep.

The thing is dinner Saturday night....my friend asked, and I said yes...expecting about 70 chorus members plus peripherals, might make it 90 to 100.

This will be a "charity" thing in that they are literally singing for their supper.

Needs to be cheap.....and good and appealing to college kids.

I have considered a light BBQ turkey and ham in sandwiches with big fresh fruit salad and veggies with ranch ( isn't it all about RANCH with kids?) And a baked cavatelli or Ziti dish....even thought meat loaf...but I don't think kids like meat loaf much, also thought of chicken salad sandwiches and sliced ham...

Already decited to do a huge fresh fruit salad...

But suggestions....that could be done reasonably easily for about 100.....and that would appeal to college kids?

I've learned a lot about what old people like, but not much about kids.....except that they all want a bottle of water in their hand!

Linda C

Comments (67)

• jimster
    15 years ago

"...if you have 2 choices you will need almost twice as much..."

That's true. However, I think it is more apt to happen when the choices are more different, not a choice of two kinds of the same thing. For instance, if you had a casserole and chicken wings, most people would definitely take some of each. With two kinds of cavatelli I was thinking they would generally take only the one they preferred. But I could be wrong.

Anyway, I think you have a good handle on this. With your extensive experience with this sort of thing it's bound to be a success.

Jim

• TACHE
    15 years ago

A nonmeat chili. a meat chili. or baked beans and mac and cheese. lots of trays of veggies and, as you say, ranch dressing. My experience with college age vegetarians is that they mainly eat pasta but no vegetables unless they are set in front of them with,of course ranch dressing. I think you have the right mind set for this. Hope you are well rewarded by a great concert.

• Related Discussions

Oy.. Can I use Murphy's Oil as part Of Insecticidal Soap

Q

Comments (6)
    The simplest, quickest, easiest way to get rid of Aphids is a sharp stream of water to knock the wee buggers off the plant. A hand held spray bottle does work really well for this because your garden hose pressure could wreak havoc to the plant. If an Insectidical Soap is desired, and it is not really as effective as simply knocking the buggers off the plant, you need a real soap and none of the "dish soaps" are soaps. The "dish soaps" are detergents which can cause serious harm to plants. Murphy's Oil Soap is a real soap and can be used just as an of the other real soaps. Mix 1 teaspoon of that soap in 1 quart of water. More often than not when spraying the IS on Aphids you knock the wee buggers off the plant anyway so adding the soap to the water is not all that more effective. Spaying with the IS after you clean that generation of Aphids off the plant may help control the future generations that will be moving in. The best, most effective means of control of Aphids is to be sure the soil your plants are growing in is a good, healthy soil that will grow strong and healthy plants that will be less attractive to insect pests such as Aphids.
    ...See More

I don't think I agree with him entirely.....do you?

Q

Comments (19)
    1. "Whatever is worth growing at all is worth growing well. True. Growing well and growing perfectly are not synonymous. We aim for excellence, not perfection. I've removed many a rose that makes me look bad. 2. Study soil and exposure, and cultivate no more space than can be maintained in perfect order. Trans.: Don't bite off more than you can chew. See #1 on perfection. 3. Plant thickly; it is easier and more profitable to raise flowers than weeds. They didn't mulch. They applied manure in winter. The advice, brought up to date, is good. Open soil is an invitation to weeds. 4. Avoid stiffness and exact balancing; garden vases and garden flowers need not necessarily be used in pairs. True. 5. A flower is essentially feminine and demands attention as the price of its smiles. Nah. You can plant fussy plants or easy plants. Fussy plants are worth the trouble to some gardeners. Personally, I think it gets old. 6. Let there be harmony and beauty of colour. Magenta in any form is a discord that should never jar. Some like harmony, others like contrast. I like harmony, tho I don't have any issues with magenta in our bright sun. It's a problem for 5 minutes. 7. In studying colour objects, do not overlook white as a foil; white is the lens of the garden's eye. I suppose this works for some. White paint is a black hole for the gardener's time. I prefer natural wood. 8. Think twice and then still think before placing a tree, shrub, or plant in position. Think thrice before removing a specimen tree. Absolutely true. Know your plants. Trees add lots of value to homes unless they are 50 feet tall and within 20 feet of the house, in which case they are a big liability. Anyone priced tree removal of a 40 foot tree next to a house. 9. Grow an abundance of flowers for cutting; the bees and butterflies are not entitled to all the spoils. A matter of personal preference. I don't keep house plants, either. Keep on good terms with your neighbour; you may wish a large garden favour of him, some day. Always good advice. Love a flower in advance and plant something every year. Not a problem. Perennials by definition do no live very long. If they are long-lived, they are called shrubs. Show me a well-ordered garden and I will show you a genial home." A well-maintained garden is inviting. True enough.
    ...See More

what kind of mums do I have & what do I do with them?

Q

Comments (2)
    I think most mums that they sell around here are hardy. They have been forced to bloom early to be in the store. When I've planted them, the blooms turn brown and I shear them off. If they are hardy, they will stay green all summer and come back next year and bloom.
    ...See More

I agree with Lotodig, what would we do without you folks!

Q

Comments (6)
    No problem Casi, totally understand. Yes I know Corrine, she is a great lady, her skills are very impressive, she donates a lot of her time on the numerous forums providing help. The entire team on LzD is quite impressive actually. I have been there a few years now and really like it. Many of us are on other forums together too. You can move WOT to a different line, I use firefox so will give the directions on how to do it there. Go to the top bar and in a clear spot right click and select customize, or View>toolbars>customize that will unlock the bars, then use your cursor and grab the WOT icon and drag it to which ever bar you want and at what ever location you want it. Once you are done go to the customize box that opened and click on done. For IE you would need to tell us which IE you are using, this link may give you some help. I no longer use IE, but I am sure someone can jump in and help with it. Customize the Internet Explorer toolbars How to Customize the Internet Explorer Toolbar
    ...See More
  • dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Well if it was me and I have fed college kids and I agree that they just love "homemade" ANYTHING I would do a BIG Soup Party along with bread and salads.

Do three or four different types of soup along with homemade bread, a couple of different salads and fruit (that you said above that you are already planning on). Soup made in large quantity is very inexpensive as well as homemade bread.

Some cookies and brownies for dessert and I think they would be happy.

• lindac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This party will be May 16th...I think the season for soup will be over. And all I can think of for that time of the year is chicken salad sandwiches and a big bowl of fruit...except for burgers on the grill and I'm not going to do that! Although we have done it....get a couple of guys to put their grills in the back of their pick up and tote it to the church....cook from the bed of the truck!
    But not this time!

• arlinek
    15 years ago

Just a small comment: fruit salad is VERY expensive and labor intensive.

arline

• lindac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That time of the year? Nope. Watermelon will be in as well as strawberries and grapes, always grapes....then I buy a couple of bags that frozen mixed fruit....think its' a little less than $8 for a 3 pound bag of melons and peaches etc....then add watermelon and some canned pineapples maybe some more strawberries give it stir and for about $30 I will have made a huge bowl of fruit.
    True more expensive than lettuce...and frankly, I'm not sure it goes with baked ziti, but served with the desserts I think it will cut down on the need for a zillion brownies.
    Donno....still can't get my brain around baked ziti and spring flowers....but...unless something hops off the "reduced for quick sale" rack...I think that's what it'll be!
    Linda C

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

These 3 recipes have become a favorite of a friend of mine's daughter and her roommates.

One is vegan, one is a pure vegetarian and one is vegetarian but will eat dairy and fish.

2 work for all 3 and one works for 1. all can be multiplied for any number.

CUCUMBER AND WATERMELON SALAD.

3 cups european cucumber peeled and cut into bite size chunks

3 cups watermelon cut into bite size chunks

3 tablespoons fresh lime juice

salt and pepper to taste.

Mix watermelon, cucumbers, lime juice and pepper. keep chilled until serving.

Just before serving add salt if desired and stir.

This is wonderful as is and if warm is especially wonderful served over a scoop of lime sherbet

TOMATO, CUCUMBER AND LETTUCE SALAD, MAKES IT'S OWN DRESSING.

As much lettuce as desired, torn into pieces.

As much cucumber as desired, peeled and cut into bite size pieces

As much tomato as desired cut into bit size pieces.

Toss lettuce, cucumber and tomato in large bowl.

Sprinkle with pepper and small amount of salt. Toss again.

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 2 hours. Tossing the salad at least once or twice during the 2 hours.

Lettuce will wilt and juices of tomato, cucumber and lettuce will blend to form a slightly salty liquid that makes a perfect salad dressing.

MACARONI AND SHRIMP SALAD.

As much pasta as desired, regular, whole wheat, or mixture of both. chilled.

As many cans of tiny shrimp as desired, drained.

As much red or green pepper finely diced as desired. can use a mix of both.

As much mayo as desired.

Mix all ingredients in proportions desired. add pepper to taste and salt if desired.

Chill several hours for flavors to blend.

Fran

• obxgina
    15 years ago

Linda, how about lasagna? You could make it a head of time, freeze it and have salad and bread! By the way that's an awfully nice thing you are doing!! Gina

• lindac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The last funeral lunch I did, we made lasagna for 100, it was wonderful, erveyone loved it, in fact someone was taking to me the other day and mentioned how good the lasagna was.....but it was a PIA to make. We fried the meat....with onions garlic tomatoes and herbs....then I made as auce....then I mixed up the ricotta, egg parsley parm stuff.....then we lined up 10 casseroles and started the assembly line....then covered with foil...refrigerated etc etc...
    PIA! LOL!

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

Yes, making lasagna is a pain in the patoot! A easy shortcut is to use ravioli if you can find a good deal on a big bunch of frozen cheese ravioli. Linked is a method. This one is meatless but it wouldn't be hard to make a meaty variation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shortcut lasagna.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    15 years ago

We have a local golf course that does "all inclusive" golf. I LOVE to go there because lunch is included with the golf. I have never been disappointed with what they serve. They serve over 200 people who drift in and out.

There is always a huge green salad bar with choices of dressings, and toppings. Sometimes I just opt for a huge salad and a roll for my lunch. Sometimes........

There is always a pan of steamed veggies. Main dishes range from lasagna, spaghetti, buritos, BBQ ribs, baked chicken in some kind of gravy over rice, fried chicken and mashed potatoes. They have rolls and butter, and 3 or 4 kinds of cookies.

Sounds like you have many great ideas here in this thread! Let us know how it turns out!
    Suzi

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

As to your meatloaf question...My kids love it..it's one of the "meat" meals they will all eat..of course if you've got Veggie's or vegans in the group it won't appeal..

And I will agree with everyone who mentioned comfort foods. Of course one persons comfort food is another's Not..LOL

I'd definately go with baked pastas on this one.

• brenda55
    15 years ago

Linda, DD was in such a choir for the UMC and they toured various churches and got fed before performances. They got really tired of pizza, because they got it alot on tour. Some of the favorites she remembers were spaghetti, which they could plate thmselves with a couple of different choices of sauces, bowl of parmesan cheese, salad and brownies, ice cream or cookies. Mexican stack was another favorite. These kids were all from TX so they loved barbecue, lol.

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

Brenda, I think the spaghetti feed is a great idea.

• lindac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Brenda...it's looking more and more like pasta....but the mere thoughts of trying to keep a pot of noodles hot for a buffet line of about 100 makes me hyperventilate!
    But salad we will have and brownies! and likely a pasta casserole, ground beef or chicken, maybe some of each in different casseroles, tomato sauce ( home made of canned tomatoes) lots of cheese and perhaps some veggies.

• jimster
    15 years ago

I like Linda's original idea of cavatelli, or one of the other less commonly used pasta shapes, just for the fun of it. Campanelle is another good one, although it's maybe not the best for a baked dish.

Jim

• lindac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's pretty much gonna depend on what kind of pasta I can find on special!
    They had some penne rigata today at the $$ store but I think I woulkd like something larger.
    In 3 months, I'll find something.
    Linda C

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

I guess you are going with pasta and I know sandwiches are not at the top of the list...but. Why not use some of that good IA pork. BBQ pork on a bun, baked beans, coleslaw, and or potato salad. If you know someone with a smoker I'd smoke them. If not low and slow in the over or even a crock pot and add some good bbq sauce. I'd use canned beans and doctor them up with some bacon, onions, mustard, and a little brown sugar. Slaw is easy and cheap. You could do the the pork a couple days ahead and reheat in the oven or one of those big roaster things...same for the beans. Boston Butte goes on sale down here all the time so I'd think you would have time to get it on sale. Just another idea to ponder...I know what ever y'all do it will be great.

David

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

David I had exactly the same idea as you (after posting about the soup party). Pulled pork BBQ and Pulled BBQ Chicken would be great but sandwiches were kind of thrown out. I also thought that with baked beans, coleslaw and potato salad it would be a great meal. Along with the fruit salad and dessert that would be excellent in my book.

I guess the issue would be for veges. but with the sides, they would be just fine.

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

Linda, will you be in Chicago for anytime in the next month or so>? I can grab bags of elbow for $2.79 for a 3 or 4 pound bag. But i wouldn need to know soon.

Cooking for 70 to 100 with helpers to feed too is no fun, so pulled pork or lasgana would not be on the list as good as that sounds. You need some cook, toss and dump into serving warmers with sterno underneath.

Email me at work, I think you have the company addy.

• partst
    15 years ago

LOL At least you agreed to it. The 14th is out small towns annual Whiskey Flats Days. Most years 50 or 60 thousand people show up. Parking is miserable you canÂt get to the market or anywhere. We can walk to the parade so itÂs a fun day. ItÂs also my dadÂs 88th birthday and my DD invited about 25 of my family, we donÂt always get along, to my house after the parade for chili and cake.

She is bringing the cake!

She lives 2 hours away so DH and I made chili today have garlic bread made up and put everything in the freezer. The good news is when he ask how I was going to go to the parade and heat up the chili I showed him the All Clad slow cooker and he is going to pick one up for me tomorrow at the new WS store that recently opened in Bakersfield. I also made a list for him for Trader JoeÂs and Costco. Now all I have to do is make some dips and?? I donÂt know yet.

OH she is forwarding all the RSVPÂs to me and so far it looks like everyone is coming. IÂm really OK with it my dad will be happy to have all his kids, grand and great grandÂs in the same place at the same time. The weather folks are now calling for light snow next Saturday so we may be eating chili for the rest of the winter.LOL

Claudia

• jojoco
    15 years ago

Lasagna is a pain, but the date is months away. Make two a week (or so) now and freeze. I often do team dinners for hockey players and lasagna was always popular. Less work and equally popular would be spaghetti and meatballs. For a crowd, I bought the meatballs from BJS.

Jo

• bejay9_10
    15 years ago

My thought -

Large ham and cheese platter, mixed vegetable salad bowl with blue cheese or ranch dressing, potato salad, lime jello with pears in a flat pan for easy removal, sour dough garlic/cheese bread, maybe add grated carrot, pineapple, raisin salad with mayo.

Let us know how it turns out.

Bejay

• User
    15 years ago

My first thought was the same as David's pulled pork, baked beans and slaw but that means a whole other thing for the vegetarians.......and you can't trust those carnivores to leave the veggie choice alone!

I'd go with the pasta casseroles. Cheap, easy meets both needs and it's real food. Some nice rolls, a salad and dessert .....it'll be a hit.

• marymd7
    15 years ago

I think you'll find in a group of that size and age that more are vegetarian than you realize. One or two meatless casseroles will not cut it -- if you're doing ziti or lasagna or whatever, I would make at least 1/3 to 1/2 of them meatless. Seriously. Vegans are much scarcer and used to making do, but vegetarians, particularly in that demographic, are increasingly common.

• lindac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmmmm....
    I guess if thec asseroles are cheesy enough even non vegitatians will enjoy.
    Just for kicks, out of a group of 85 in the chorus....how many would yous ay would be vegitarian?
    I was figuring on 9 or 10 8 by 12 dishes and onew ith no meat...
    How many should we do no meat?\
    I have 7 grand kids ranging from 13 to 23 and I don't know any of them nor any of their friends who are veggies.
    But I do know a college chorus came once before and the vegitarians were a huge consideration....but these were vegans. We served cookies and had to carefully labelw hich were egg less, butter less and milk less.
    Maybe we ought to have one vegan caserrole too? Think so? Just noodles, veggies, olive oil garlic and oregano?
    Think I will do that....make just a cold salad.
    Thanks....

• User
    15 years ago

"I guess if thec asseroles are cheesy enough" .....no way to talk about vegetarians!!!!

Linda you need to get that keyboard fixed......ROTFLMAO

• jimster
    15 years ago

Linda! Sharon! Stop that!

You've got me laughing so hard I almost choked.

Jim

• lindac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Afraid it's not the keyboard...it's my fingers.....
    And my brain that I didn't catch it.....that's what comes from watching jepordy and postinga t the same time! LOL!

• dgkritch
    15 years ago

What about just a huge salad bar?
    Plenty of greens, then a bunch of toppings to choose.
    Cheese, beans, seeds or nuts, other veggies, raisins, bacon, eggs, shredded pork, beef or chicken (cooked and cooled in advance).
    And nice homemade breads (also done in advance).

Easy, cheap(er), not much cooking/warming during the serving time.
    When my kids were all at home, the stuff they like best was anything they could build themselves.
    Vegetarians/vegans are covered with beans, cheese, eggs, etc.
    At least for me (definite carnivore), a mostly vegetarian meal is fine. Not so the other way around.
    If folks don't like greens, they can still make a pile of shredded meat, bean, cheese and some bread. It's just one meal, doesn't have to be perfectly balanced! :+)

Cookies/brownies are always a winner. Easy to have 2 or 3 choices all done ahead.

Deanna

• lindac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Deanna, the issue is economics, and leftovers. Our church is doing this as a "favor" asking no reimbursement. I always ALWAYS want to have enough of everything. It pains me when I offer 2 choices and one is gone. I want to have some everything offered left at the end....so I know people took all they wanted. And with all the choices that would mean lots of leftovers.
    At my house for 25....I know they would love it and would be all over that.....and serve buns so they could make sandwiches.
    But this is someone else's money.....and I will be making food for 100.

Linda C

• patti43
    15 years ago

I like your original idea--turkey and ham sandwiches, a pasta dish, veggies with dip and fruit salad. Well balanced and plenty for vegans or non. It sounds yummy to me.

• lindac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Those who are "with the kids" have said they would prefer "a dinner" rather than sandwiches....I say beggers can't be choosers....but pasta and salad and garlic bread is cheaper....so that's what I'll do.
    But in listening....I think I may need to buy more cheese, less meat and have a bowl of pasta and veggies with a simple vinaigrette dressing.
    Linda C

• Marigene
    15 years ago

Is there a reason your friend couldn't find out how many vegans and vegetarians there are in the group, seeing her brother is head of the music department? With that information you could better plan your menu. Why agonize over something that could probably be answered with a phone call.

• lindac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am quite sure that the head of the music department would have no earthly idea how many vegans there are in then chorus....and I am also pretty sure that at this time they don't really know who will be on the travelling team, or chorus...
    I did send my friend an email aasking for an estimate and if she thought there might be a significant munber of variuse sorts of "veggie people".

• Cloud Swift
    15 years ago

College kids aren't really kids either. I think they would probably prefer the "dinner" over cold sandwiches like they are probably having in lunches too.

I was going to suggest the same thing as marigene to help you determine what is needed.

If there are some vegans, it would be nice to add something like peas or kidney beans to the bowl of pasta and veggies to add some protein.

I once had to host a business meeting for about a dozen colleagues and get breakfast and lunch back in the early days of low carb diets. A couple of guys were sticking very tightly to extreme low carb and there were a few of vegetarians with one eating no eggs. Getting something from the caterer with some build it yourself for lunch that satisfied wasn't too bad but breakfast to satisfy everyone was impossible given the caterer's offerings. Sometimes you just have to draw the line.

Where do you get produce when you do the meals for funerals and things like this? When my husband was involved with preparing lunches for Shabbat after services at our Synagogue, they were able to order from the local produce distributor instead of a grocery store to get stuff at a better price. I'm not sure if quantities for the size things you do would be large enough to make that work but it might be worth checking out.

• Cloud Swift
    15 years ago

Between now and May, they may be able to find out roughly how many vegans and veggie people there are. Going the with the kind of pasta menu your considering, you could still do most of your purchasing but decide toward the end how many pans to make meatless and what to do regarding a vegan pasta salad.

Or if they have done this kind of trip before, the trip leader may have an idea of the usual distribution for this college.

• Terrapots
    15 years ago

Linda, I have lots of kids that age and they pretty much eat anything you put in front of them. The vegetarians are usually the problem. I found what works best and is fast, easy and cheap is almost like a taco bar. Cook a lot of beans, pinto, and mash them w or wo fat, I always add garlic and dry red peppers when I cook them, not too much peppers and they do give the beans a small bite if overdone. I purchase these flat "tostadas" made from corn tortillas. They are like a large flat tortilla chip. You put it on a plate, add beans, meat, cooked hamburger or shredded beef, chicken, even seafood if preferred, or both, top with shredded or chopped lettuce, tomato, onions, salsa, parmesan and/or any shredded cheese. It's kind of like a taco salad on a flat shell with lots of beans, which of course can be left out.

Something else they go for is cheese fondues and chips, hot wings or meat balls in a crock pot. And brownies, brownies, brownies. Linda, you're incredible. Where do you find all that energy and dedication. You amaze me.

• brenda55
    15 years ago

Linda, I forgot on my previous post that DD said to tell you that it was very nice of you and your church to do that; she remembered how welcomed the dinners were compared to Jack, Mac or the Bell.

It is very nice of you, I agree.

Brenda

• alucy
    15 years ago

Sounds like fun. Saturday is a casual night, and I'd prefer to serve them a hot meal, so I'd probably do either

1. Baked chicken with a vegetarian spaghetti or baked pasta side (main dish for the vegetarians); or

2. A chili bar. One large pot meatless, one with turkey or ground beef, large trays of cornbread (w/ jalapeno/cheese/corn as budget permits), bowls of chopped onion and cheese (or melted velveeta) and a simple lettuce salad. If you want to change it up you could substitute tortilla chips for the cornbread and add trays of hot dogs and buns so people could make chili dogs. You'd have to have both bowls and plates, which adds to the expense, but I bet you could get it done for under $100 and most everything could be made ahead.

• stacy3
    15 years ago

Sorry! I have to hijack - am I too sleepy still or can I really not start a new thread? It says "post a new message" but there is nowhere to post! And I have issues!

• User
    15 years ago

You're not still asleep the text box for posting new threads is gone.......

Linda will let you use her thread but I worry some may not see it...what's your issue darlin'?

• stacy3
    15 years ago

oh Sharon - you can definitely help! I am making the Silver Palate stroganoff recipe provided by you - for valentine's day Friday night - 6 adults. a couple big eaters. But I don't see how many it serves and I can't remember. Do you think it's fine the way it is?

Also, I plan to make a beer cheddar fondue for us to nibble on in the kitchen for a bit. is that too much creaminess? ick, now that I think about it, we are having chocolatini's before dinner too. So I may need to rethink an appetizer.

I don't want a huge amount of food, and am thinking of a small and easy first course at the table - salad or soup - before the entree - but I did french onion soup for these folks last year.

We are having mini brownies dipped in ganache and gardenguru's Love Berries for dessert (strawberries, raspberries topped with mascarpone, white chocolate, cream combo)

You are the queen of the organized courses and can help me with what will go together, will you?

Thanks!
    Stacy

• stacy3
    15 years ago

oh and I was going to serve teh stroganoff with a snow pea/asparagus dish from Ina.

• User
    15 years ago

I just checked the book and it doesn't show number of servings but all the other "stew" recipes call for 3 pounds of meat and indicate 6 servings.

If you have a couple of big eaters I'd do 1/2 again...ie 1 1/2 times the recipe.

I think the fondue , I wouldn't mind it with the stroganoff but it isn't working for me with the cocktails! LOL

As for a first course I'd go with a soup becasue I like soup better than salad! I usually do my roasted red pepper soup with the stroganoff...I am such a creature of habit!

Are you serving noodles with the stroganoff ?

• stacy3
    15 years ago

oh yes, noodles, too. Do I need bread too?

I was kind of thinking of your roasted red pepper but can't find it.

What would go with chocolatini's? Last year I served your stuffed mushrooms and they loved them, but was hoping to do something different.

I need some new friends - I keep wanting to serve these ones the same things - lol!

• lindac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeasch....not serving stroganoff to those kids!
    I also like the fondue for nibbles.....and also would find chocolate tinis with that to be...ugh! Try apple tinis or Gin-tinis...my fave.
    AND....with the fondue and stroganoff....I would prefer a salad...
    So there!
    What's with the GW today?
    Linda C

• stacy3
    15 years ago

oh no, Linda - LOL - the kids will get pizza. My Will would eat it - but I doubt the 5 others that are coming would. But you've got a point. The kids visiting like salad, I think. So maybe that would make more sense?

I can't stray from the chocolatini's - they were infamous last year and we've all been talking about them since. :-)

kind of like you saying - "this year there will be no wine charms hanging from the nose..." wouldn't go over too well.

I know! They have to pick the day that I'm having a crisis...sigh. sorry about your thread.

• User
    15 years ago

If you are serving noodles I'd skip the bread. Still prefer soup to salad this time of year. I also think it's more
    "romantic" ...but like I say I'm not huge on salads especially in February!

Good idea to lose the fondue but you could do tempura veggies and tempura shrimp if you want to do a group cook thing but you need a fondue pot that can handle hot oil, not ceramic. Joe's Tempura recipe is excellent.

If the Tempura doesn;t do it for you I think something savory and "bready" would work well as an appetizer. Cheddar Parmesan Crackers, Gougeres with Chives and Cheddar, Parmesan Bread Twists, Annie's Rosemary Blue Cheese Ice Box Cookies. I think you could also serve my Stacked Pizza with the Chocotini's

Got all the recipes if you want any of them (except for the Parmesan Bread Twists but someone will have it, it's just puff pastry strips , melted butter and parmesan) Let me know and I'll email them to you so we can return this thread to Linda.

PS: THink Lind meant the kids she is feeding that started this thread not your kids......I think

• lindac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yep....that's what I meant...
    And Sharon, you are not against salads this time of the year....you just want them deep fried!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!