SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Igloochic - more gastric ?s

2ajsmama
13 years ago

Not to hijack your kindergarten thread any more, DS apparently had some problems when he got home from Scouts, unless that was DD's evidence on the toilet seat (sorry). She usually calls for me to help her when she has problems though.

So, both kids were breastfed, we started them on whole cow's milk around 1 yr and both had problems. Switched to Lactaid and they were fine, kept them on that til they could go to low-fat milk (2-3yrs old?). DS was very young, probably no more than 5, when we noticed the fat/sugar connection (he really didn't eat sugar til then - I was very health-conscious then and had a fit when I found my mom took him to McD's). His 1st bday cake was whole wheat carrot cake if that tells you anything and he didn't like ice cream when he first tried it at 18mos (prob. b/c it was cold and he has sensory issues though the feeding issues aren't as bad as DD's).

DS has low muscle tone, had fine and gross motor delays. Could the low muscle tone be affecting his bowels? He gets just as much exercise any any kid his age (not saying much) who isn't into sports. He's been doing a fair amount of hiking with DH and the Scouts, so while he's not muscular he's not fat and not skin and bone either. He's "normal" weight for his age, was a little tall of 50% but is falling back to average there too. His "normal" weight could actually be underweight if he inherited DH's heavy bones though (DH is considered obese by his BMI but if you look at him he barely has a lovehandle, not 6-pack abs but no beerbelly either, has size 9 feet, 15.5 neck, 34 waist but huge thighs, big chest/shoulders, hands, wrists - buying clothes is fun). Of course even if DS got more exercise I don't know if that would improve his "internal" muscle tone?

DH and I were discussing his problem and the upcoming pizza party for last day of school. We do have to have him drink diet soda, I don't like to give him artificial sweeteners but if the only choices are fruit punch, lemonade, or soda the diet soda may be the least of the evils. At home he sticks to OJ and 1% milk, water, occasional herbal tea in winter, occasional decaf iced tea, Gatorade, lemonade in summer. Since he has problems with the milk we let him order gingerale or rootbeer if a restaurant doesn't have lowfat milk - just never clicked that those have too much sugar so we'll switch him to diet.

It seems to me that his gastric problems are getting worse lately, but it's hard to tell since he's so private. I hope he doesn't have problems at week-long Scout camp. I'm sure we're not going to be able to get dr's appt this month, he leaves on 4th of July.

So what should I keep track of for the next week or so that he's home to tell the dr? Food/poop diary? DO I try to go gluten-free next week or just keep "normal" diet but watch his fat/sugar? Or just not pay any special attention to diet and just have him keep the log? I'll give dr the history of milk/fat/sugar sensitivity as best I can (brief history above) but is there anything you can think of that might be relevant that I didn't mention (but you suspect, and I didn't think of)?

Thanks for your help. I agree he's been living with this too long, it's just not going to be fun to be a teen with this problem and I hadn't thought about long-term damage (just thought this would be a life-long sensitivity, but never thought of chronic irritation actually creating more problems).

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022