SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stealthecrumbs

a very bad furniture experience- BEWARE

stealthecrumbs
17 years ago

Hey ya'll. I just wanted to share a recent experience as well as some of the information I've gleaned through the post-trauma research. I recently purchased a sofa through Calico Corners. I have many cherished pieces from Lee, Southwood, Highland House and Hickory Chair and even a good piece from Harden, but this was my first (AND LAST) encounter with Calico Corners. I know many of you have had good experiences with CC and I know some of you have had negative experiences, especially in terms of delivery and follow-up...I read all the posts before purchasing. I also researched the manufacturer of my sofa, Michael Thomas. (They also use Vangard.) My own research about the manufacturer satisfied my concerns and the sofa was a VERY good price due to a sale. However, it has been a nightmare from day one. I have been given incorrect, and often just plain false, information from the associates, most of whom were unable to answer my very basic questions about cushion construction, warranty, fabric cleaning codes and other matters. (I am now dealing directly with the regional district manager and she has been much more helpful and understanding.) The sofa arrived damaged and rather than return it to the manufacturer for repair, they determined to use their own local workroom to fix the damage. I am not comfortable with this, but even so, they have yet to to collect the piece or make repairs... and I have been waiting for over a month. I explained that I would need to approve any additional fabric used in the repair as dye lots CAN vary and was told that they "do not worry about such things." Folks, I was in this business for years. I have an MFA in Interior Design. Dye lots vary. Period.

Mostly, I just want you all to do as much research as possible before making decisions about furniture. My most recent discovery has been that the quality of the products sold under the Calico Corners name is markedly different than those purchased through a Michael Thomas dealer. This is sometimes the case- If you order a Crate and Barrel sofa made by Lee, it is different than one you would order directly; but the difference is not as great and more to the point, every Crate and Barrel associate with whom I have spoken has been very honest and up front about the differences- THEY HAVE ALL VOLUNTEERED THIS INFORMATION! Morevover, you can order Lee custom furniture through Crate and Barrel. Calico Corners does not volunteer this information; I doubt most of their associates even know. At least in my local showroom, they seem more like a retail sales associate at a women's clothing store than design associates educated about their products!

Calico Corners advertises their spring down cushion as top of the line. This is what really threw me for a loop. Industry standard for down to feather in spring down or blend down cushions is 25/75 (down to feather)- Michael Thomas uses a 10/90. I was told by a MT rep that the ratio in a spring down cushion is as follows: springdown seats: 65% polyurethane and spring, 35% down and feathers (10% down/90%feathers); back cushions:75% polyester fibers, 25% down and feathers (10/90). The ratio on the product made for CC: spring down: 60% spring, 30% polyurethane foam, 5% fiber, 5% down/ feather (at a 10/90 raio); my back cushions are approximately the same ratio quoted by MT. This is not the top of the line and it does not make for a very comfortable seat! (It is quite firm, so this may work well for some of you, but I prefer something softer. And I was certainly NOT expecting quite so much foam!) As previous posts have noted, Avery Boardman (someone linked to them) suggests a higher down/ lower feather ratio for greater softness and suggests adjusting this for individual preference.

Thanks ya'll for listening... and thank you ALL for being such a great resource. I learn so much from reading your posts. If anyone is interested in Lee or shopping for Lee, they are having an annual sale- I have worked with a wonderful sales associate on several projects and I would be glad to pass along his contact information! Just drop me a line.

Also, please share your experiences with Calico Corners- good and bad. I would love to pass along the feedback to the district manager.

Belle

Comments (8)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES