SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theroselvr

Bion Laden is dead

theroselvr
13 years ago

Al-Qaeda founder and leader Osama Bin Laden is dead, according to US media reports citing officials.

The US is in possession of Bin Laden's body, the reports say. President Barack Obama is due to make a statement shortly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Al-Qaeda leader Bin Laden 'dead'

Comments (59)

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Very true, Bumblebeez. Many have been waiting in the wings, chomping at the bit to carry on Bin Laden's mission! This is more of a symbolic event than a substantial victory over terrorism. In fact, for a while we will be on extremely high alert due to the potential of retaliation.

At best it does send a message to terrorists that the U.S. does not give up the pursuit of those who attack us.

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

I agree with bumblebeez and stinky. This is indeed symbolic, but there are countless more ready, willing and unfortunately, able, to take Bin Laden's place.

• Related Discussions

Revised & Ready for further input

Q

Comments (4)
    I don't think of it as quite complete yet I have not addressed the bugs we encounter. So anyone else that wants to see something not present in it please let me know. The final version I will post as FAQ in the sugject heading.
    ...See More

FAQ version 1.0

Q

Comments (15)
    Up, up and not away!
    ...See More

FAQ Version 3.0

Q

Comments (7)
    Jodik says: The coir might look dry on top, but down in the center of the pot, it could be quite moisture-laden! I have found it helpful to insert little wooden skewers carefully into the soil to about root level, and leave them there... I take them out and press them against my cheek to test for dampness... if they feel at all damp, I wait to water... but if the skewer comes out dry, it's time to water. My coir is 4" deep in a closed pot. I put the skewer to the bottom of the pot. When I take it out how many inches of bone dry top "soil" should there be before it's time to water again? Is it 1", 2" or 4"? I just went 10 days without water and only 1" of the top was dry so am I supposed to water this direct sun pot once every two weeks or so to avoid over watering, really? And how much water for my 6" closed pot? I had been watering 1 1/2 cup or so once a week and my plant was fine but I'm now worried that was too much so I'm re-evaluating. I know what conventional wisdom says (water deep, not shallow) but that advice doesn't seem to apply to my situation. Also how long should it be before I see new leaf growth in the summer time (first season outside)? My 18 month old Red Lion so far has only grown new leaves once a year. At potting and at dormancy end.
    ...See More

Osama Bin Laden DEAD

Q

Comments (34)
    "I'm not saying that he isn't dead. I believe he is...I'm saying, with video everywhere of various insignificant celebrities walking across the street, why isn't there video of such a momentous occasion as the disposal of this terrorist's body?" And how would you know whether there is one or not? I'm sure the government is very careful in looking into what document can be released safely and what cannot. Not so much for their reputation but perhaps, for the safety of the people. I'm sure the government will satisfy the public and will release some sort of proof. This was also one of the reason they didn't carry out plan A. Plan A was to just bomb the base of Bin Laden operation and his living quarter. But in doing so, nothing would have left to show proof of his death. So, they used plan B which would put the Navy Seals more at risk. Fortunately, it was a success without any casualty for our troop.
    ...See More
  • Faron79
    13 years ago

HOORAY!

DLM2000-
    Your post would be exactly mine!!

God bless Seal-Team 6 and all the other "hidden" people who made this happen. It was a "Kill" operation, thank goodness. No pissin' around with capture, etc.

Sure, other "Vermin" will pop out of their holes.
    We'll always have more bullets/hero's to eliminate them.
    Let the extermination of those who will do us harm continue!

Sorry if this offends some....but on THIS issue, I DON'T REALLY CARE!

Faron

• flyingflower
    13 years ago

There won't be other Osamas poppin up to take his place, that's what's what makes this news all the sweeter...because he was a charasmatic figure that devotees swore their allegiance to. They didn't swear allegiance to Al Qaeda they swore it to Bin Laden. They don't feel the same way for #2 in line.

I am not in the least bit sorry that a human being has been killed. Imagine anyone stating they're "conflicted" that Hitler was gone. Jeeeez! May they both rot in hell!

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

Agree Faron.
    OBL was quoted by MSNBC early this morning, to paraphrase his line of thought, you push the US hard enough, they back off. Well he was wrong. Our military didn't quit till the job was done, and sent a loud, clear message last night. And I for one am thrilled at the message sent.

• Faron79
    13 years ago

This sorta reminds me of the cool Harrison Ford movie, "Air-force One".
    The first scenes were that helo-raid on a palace.

I'm pretty sure this real-life operation looked a lot like that. Too bad we had to lose a chopper tho...

We "Reached out and touched" someone yesterday...courtesy of Uncle-Sam!!! They had no long-distance service there I hear...;-) Welllll....we delivered it.

Faron

• theroselvr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I hear the DNA was confirmed before Obama spoke. They used Bin Laden's sisters brain DNA; apparently she recently passed; they had her brain. He's already been disposed of at sea.

I also heard about the wedding connection.

What ticks me off is that Celebrity Apprentice had 10 minutes left; the show was stopped; waiting on word from Obama which didn't come for 45 minutes. So; was it done because Obama & trump are having a lil tiff?

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Yes, Rose, I heard that BL's sister's brain was being "held onto" in Boston when she died for this purpose. We certainly struck gold with that, as gruesome as it may sound, but thank goodness we had such an excellent source of DNA to test the body with.

I'm sure the powers that be confirmed this 50 times before the news was released. It would have been a major embarassment if the story was released and BL showed up somewhere! We'd be hearing about it decades later!

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

roselvr I was thinking the same thing last night - what a way to trump Trump! You know..... he can't fire Nene or Star - they're too good for ratings and he is ALL about ratings. I'm certain Hope is gone.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

What ticks me off is that Celebrity Apprentice had 10 minutes left; the show was stopped; waiting on word from Obama which didn't come for 45 minutes. So; was it done because Obama & trump are having a lil tiff?

Seriously????
    Do you think that Trump's show was the only one pre-empted?? I was watching 60 Minutes on CBS and they broke into it and The Amazing Race. Every network's shows were pre-empted.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

You're kidding yourself if you don't think someone else take his place. Maybe not immediately, but there will be a new, and just as deadly threat to the U.S.

I am never happy to hear the loss of human life, but in this case I do feel justice was served. This sums up my feelings - "I do not rejoice in the death of a person, but I rejoice in victory over evil." I am very thankful for our military personnel, who have stuck with this and would not give up - even over a decade.

tina

• natal
    13 years ago

This wasn't a human anymore than Hitler was. Another monster who got what he deserved.

• theroselvr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Terriks; Trump & Obama are on the East coast; so what ever was playing at 10 got cut short. I guess the West coast also had shows cut into.. it's just funny with Trump & Obama going tit for tat.

What I saw in the dentists office was that one of his son's was killed too; I haven't had time to watch or read anything today. I think I fell asleep waiting for Obama to talk because I don't remember seeing it.

My worry is that his people/family will retaliate. I was living by a base (McGuire/Ft Dix) during 9/11; my hub was working in Port Jersey.. I was getting injections to my back. I remember feeling so helpless because I couldn't drive for 30 minutes; I just wanted to get my kids out of their schools that were next to the base. We didn't know what was going to get hit next.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

Personally, for me, the sooner that fame whore Trump is off the air the better. But to ascribe the pre-emption of his show to a fued between Trump and Obama is just pure silliness, not unlike most of the statments that clown makes.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

This is part of the statement issued today by the Pope:

"In the face of a man's death, a Christian never rejoices, but reflects on the serious responsibilities of each person before God and before men, and hopes and works so that every event may be the occasion for the further growth of peace and not of hatred."

So we hope, and work (and pray) that the absence of this man from the planet does indeed lead to further growth in peace around the globe. We can also use this event to soberly reflect on how we each can be an instrument of God's peace.

• HIWTHI
    13 years ago

I was watching CSI Miami and the Apprentice, switching back and forth between them. The news people did not have to cut off the last 10 minutes of broadcasted shows. The President didn't come out till 30 minutes later. All the news people were doing was trying to beat the competition with the story and didn't give a darn about viewers trying to catch the ending of a show they were watching. Just cutting in and saying he was dead was enough and the rest could have waited for when the pres spoke.

Yes, I think it was Hope who got the ax last night. The first time I tune in and can't get to see the best part. Figures. LOL

• theroselvr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I meant to post about Apprentice- yes- Hope was canned. Thankfully the show is online; not sure if we can fast forward through it to see the end.
    Not sure if anyone missed it but LaToya came back to the mens team.

• sable_ca
    13 years ago

Although there will no doubt be more terror attacks here and there in the world - and probably at least attempts in the US - there actually is no one who can replace Osama Bin Laden. He was unique in his charisma, power, and ability to induce intense loyalty, not to mention his money. In a sense, he was like Fidel Castro. With all due respect, there are no "hundreds" to take his place. There is no one with the name or symbolism to step into his shoes. His second-in-command, however, Ayman al-Zawahiri., is a very dangerous man, and is the brains and thinker behind Al Qaida. We need to get him next.

There is one man, Sheikh Anwar al-Awlaki, in Yemen, whom we also badly want. He is that crummy little American imam who, via emails and cell phones, encouraged the Ft. Hood murderer, and the Christmas Day and Times Square bombers to do their deeds. The next target for the SEALs!

Terriks - You were watching 60 minutes? So was I. Did you see the report by Lara Logan about her assault and near-death at the hands of that Egyptian mob in Cairo? That was horrific. For anyone else who remembers Logan and her terrifying ordeal, I've linked to Wikipedia, which has details of her appearance last night and describes what happened to her.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lara's story

• natal
    13 years ago

Caught Lara Logan's interview too. It's on the 60 Minutes site. Can't imagine returning to foreign reporting after what she went through.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Natal, I agree. It's hard to imagine doing much of anything after what she went through! She's an utterly amazing, resilient person. As Sable said, her ordeal was horrific, but words are really inadequate to describe how awful it must have been for her. I will pray for her continued physical and emotional healing.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

I was fixing dinner and tuned into 60 Minutes late and missed the Lara Logan story. I will have to check and see if I can watch it online.

• riosamba
    13 years ago

This death is justice. This death is war. The bin Ladens and Hitlers of the world leave us no alternative but war. War isn't a cool movie bursting with jingoism. It is a terrible necessity bursting with non-Hollywood heroism and death in all its pungent, violent reality.

Innocent American civilians died in a horrifying attack. Terrorists murdered thousands- I still shudder contemplating what it was like for the men, women, and CHILDREN on those planes and in the twin towers. Terrorists intended to attack OUR PRESIDENT in OUR CAPITOL. Nothing can undo any of that. Nothing can make families whole, nothing can restore our collective innocence. But for me, there is a somber, humbling comfort in justice.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

Ahhhh, Roselvr, warn us next time before you post a spoiler!

The Lara Logan story was hard to listen to. She is one brave woman!

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

The "Celebrity Apprentice"/Trump connection in all of this just boggles the mind. That man is a joke!

• golddust
    13 years ago

I agree, Aunt Jen. Trump is a Narcissistic joke of a man.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Back to Bin Laden, I haven't seen the latest, but I really don't think they got rid of the body that quickly. I bet they will keep it to study.

• HIWTHI
    13 years ago

bumblebeez, I was thinking they most probably cut off his head to keep. They had the head of his sister from what I hear and that's how they tested the DNA.

I smile when I think about sharks feasting, but then worry that could result in sick sharks though.

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

I always thought I'd be happy when he was killed, but for some odd reason, when we captured Saddam, and then he was killed by the Iraqi's, something got weird for me. Now, don't get me wrong, I believe in justice, and I think what we did to binLaden was just. I am finding myself conflicted about the joyous celebrations about the news. I suppose if he'd died of natural causes, I'd be celebrating...I think it's just something about the celebrating the killing of a human being that bothers me.

He was a horrific person, and I will never forget what he caused to happen to our nation, and to the world. I am glad he's dead, but I am bothered by the celebrations.

As to the disposal of his body, I've read that it's Islamic custom to wash the body, then bury it quickly. They couldn't cut off his head, as that would fly in the face of the Islamic law.

Disposal at sea was chosen so that there would be no spot that could be considered 'sacred' by his followers. And it was also chosen because no one would claim his body. I think that what we did was tactful in light of the Islamic culture, but I'm sure that it will no doubt lead to loads of conspiracy theories!

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Indeed, Pesky. Well said. I feel the same way that you do about the situation.

I also agree with your comments about the burial. I am proud that we (the U.S.) took Islamic traditions into account when disposing of the body. I heard on ABC news that a Muslim person was part of the team, and was there to take care of matters like the washing of the body. While I'm sure that it wasn't a perfect burial in accordance with the faith, we could have done a lot worse!

I am proud that to the extent that circumstances would allow, the U.S. behaved in a dignified, respectful manner. We are supposed to be an example to the world of what is fair and just and right. I think these efforts offer the world a worthy example.

I am proud that we were relentless in the pursuit of Bin Laden, and understand that we had to take his life, but I am equally impressed that steps were taken to adhere to another culture's burial customs, even for a man regarded as "public enemy #1."

Even a man who was so deeply despised was treated with some dignity by our military men. Surely Bin Laden would not have done the same if the shoe had been on the other foot, but we adhered to our principles of decency and took the higher road.

• busybee3
    13 years ago

lol..sick sharks...he probably WOULD cause some serious indigestion!!

when i was young, i was terribly opposed to the death penalty, but as i have gotten older, i do support it in certain circumstances- this is definitely one of them!

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

I personally feel that the taking of any human life diminishes us all. As Ghandi so thoughtfully said, "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

• natal
    13 years ago

Busybee, I had similar feelings when I was young, but my views have changed. There are many monsters who walk among us. IMO, they aren't really human.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Good point, Auntjen. When do we stop the madness? Reminds me of a prayer from one of my favorite nuns:

PRAYER FOR WORLD PEACE
    By Joan D. Chittister, OSB (Order of Saint Benedict)

Great God, who has told us "Vengeance is Mine,"
    Save us from ourselves,
    Save us from the vengeance in our hearts
    And the acid in our souls.

Save us from our desire to hurt as we have been hurt,
    To punish as we have been punished,
    To terrorize as we have been terrorized.

We ask, O God, for the grace
    To be our best selves.
    We ask for the vision to be builders of the human community
    Rather than its destroyers.
    We ask for the humility as a people
    To understand the fears and hopes of other peoples.
    We ask for the love it takes
    To bequeath to the children of the world to come
    More than the failures of our own making.
    We ask for the heart it takes to care for all the peoples
    Of Afghanistan and Iraq, of Palestine and Israel
    As well as for ourselves.

For You, O God, have been merciful to us.
    For You, O God, have been patient with us.
    For You, O God, have been gracious to us.

And so, may we be merciful
    And patient
    And gracious
    And trusting
    With these others who You also love.

This we ask through Jesus,
    The One without vengeance in his heart.
    This we ask forever and ever. Amen

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

I'm just hoping we cut off the funds to Pakistan until we get some answers!

As far a Trump goes we may all need to put our personal feelings about him aside and at least listen to what he has to say "if" he ever decides to announce his presidential running bid. As much as people think they knew their candidate in the past, well the fact if none of us really do, we only know the public persona they have created. I just hope that we get some candidates in the future who have some proven big business experience because that's what's needed. I'm not a member of any party so please don't take me the wrong way on my views. However, the worst thing we can do is treat the next election as a popularity contest. If you owned a big corporation were billions were at stake and the future of the company was at stake would you hire the person who had a proven record of big business success or someone who never even held an executive managerial job? Would you base your hire ability standards on a hair style? These are the things we need to start asking ourselves.
    Sadly though, the good ones often don't make it till the end.

• natal
    13 years ago

Speaking of The Donald ... did anyone catch Jimmy Fallon's skit last night?

Here is a link that might be useful: a message from Donald Trump

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Funny! However, it would have been a lot funnier if they carried on the exaggeration with more of an exaggeration to that sweepy thing he does with his hair in the front.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

That is hilarious! Thanks for the laughs, Natal!

• HIWTHI
    13 years ago

I've heard that true Muslims did not look at him as one of them and were offended he was given a Muslim burial. He's brought great pain onto the Muslims by his actions. People around the world hate Muslims because many think all Muslims are like him. His own place of birth, "Saudi" refused his body.

I see killing him as an act of self defense even though others don't. I think protecting the world from this monster was a good thing.

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

HIWTHI, it is a shame that some people including other countries think all Muslims are bad because of Bin. It's a big circle isn't it? Some in other countries think all Americans are bad.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I haven't read all the replies, but I agree with Pesky, the Pope, and Ghandi! lol

I am so proud of the Seals, and what they sacrificed for us. Wow!

I am ashamed at one thing though. I'm not pointing any fingers here, I'm pointing them at my friends "in real life" but I haven't said anything to them, nor will I.

I'm a Republican, (I don't vote straight party line though) but I'm ashamed to call myself a Repulican right now. For the record, I was a Democrat until about 15 years ago. I got a wild hair at the time, don't ask. lol.

Of course there are going to be more terrorist attacks, but the world IS a safer place without Osama, he was just too powerful & no one can take his place, IMO. And it WAS Obama who made the final call on what to do with the options given to him by the armed forces. My hat's off to Obama!

What I'm ashamed of are my friends not compartmentalizing (sp) this specific event. Instead they are saying, "but what about the budget, world hunger...", ANYTHING to take credit away from Obama.

Why does everything have to be politicized? Okay, off my soap box. :)

• sable_ca
    13 years ago

"Why does everything have to be politicized?" Few events have the political power of the ordered assassination of the most wanted man in the world by the leader of the most powerful country in the world, who happens to be standing for re-election in 1 1/2 years.

I don't know what kind of Republicans you know, Oakley, but I know a lot, and no one has had anything but praise for this action. None of my Rep relatives or friends, nor anyone who might be considered "conservative" in the media has made any comments about the budget (other than that perhaps now we will be able to leave Afghanistan) or "world hunger" or anything else for that matter. This was something that needed to be done and thank goodness it finally happened.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Unfortunately, everything is political and this is a key feather in Obama's reelection hat.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

Someone on Hot Topics is cynical and partisan enough to think that Obama did this only to improve his re-election choices.

• natal
    13 years ago

Terriks, I think that person already posted here. ;)

• golddust
    13 years ago

Yep, Natal. And we've been well behaved.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Sable, you're lucky then. I haven't talked to all of my Repub. friends, but the one's I have talked to just won't give the man credit.

And last night just for the heck of it I watched a few hours of Fox News, and boy were they nitpicking every single action to death and DYING to find out something that went wrong. I was sitting here LOL at them! I used to watch the evening shows on Fox News a few years ago but they've seriously changed.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Oakley, I agree with your observations. There's a viral e-mail going around that is circulating bogus info about Obama's health care bill. A friend sent it to me. I googled it, and came up with link after link describing it as "bogus, viral, urban legend, rumor," etc. There doesn't appear to be a grain of truth to it.

This was the jist of it:

> Did you know that if you sell your house after 2012 you will pay a 3.8% sales tax on it?
    > That's $3,800 on a $100,000 home etc.
    > When did this happen? It's in the health care bill.
    > Just thought you should know.
    > SALES TAX TO GO INTO EFFECT 2013 (Part of HC Bill)
    > So, this is "change you can believe in"?

Nice!

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

I did notice that Hannity (Fox) was really making sure the Obama did not get credit. I try and stay neutral and open minded and do not care for extreme views from the left or right. I wouldn't say Fox news on a whole is like that though but it seems that Hannity who I used to watch and like occasionally is getting pretty far out there. I do always find it interesting when people bash Fox news as a whole though; I mean you can't really stay informed without covering a lot of political angles. This isn't about who's right or wrong it's about what would be best over all for our country. To stay informed you can't just follow news that sticks to your exact political views.

• sable_ca
    13 years ago

I always laugh when it finally boils down to Fox News, when there are so many other channels, stations, websites out there. I rarely watch Hannity, those kinds of pundits don't interest me, but if you want his counterpoint, try Chris Matthews on MSNBC, who habitually lies like a rug. Nothing fair and balanced about him or his cohorts!

My favorite news sources are CNN, from 2 - 6 pm PST starting with Wolf Blitzer, Washington Journal on Cspan, from 4-7 am PST, and KGO, San Francisco's big gorilla of a radio station, which is resolutely left-wing. ALL of those sources have hammered away at every conceivable aspect of the OBL case pro and con. It is now day five since OBL's demise and they are all still discussing whether or not to show the pictures, whether or not he should have been killed (as opposed to "bringing him to justice" here in the States), what the precise circumstances of his death were, how large was the role played by the previous administration in tracking him down, did Pakistan know, etc., etc., ad infinitum.

I agree totally agree with Jterrilynn: "This isn't about who's right or wrong it's about what would be best over all for our country. To stay informed you can't just follow news that sticks to your exact political views." If one only follows the sources that agree with a particular point of view and LOL at everything else, instead of considering whether valid points are being made, then IMO one is not completely well-informed.

• HIWTHI
    13 years ago

The problem with the news is if you want "all" the news you have to watch all the channels. That's why I can never remember where I heard what from because I switch back and forth trying to get all the details of events, etc. Same goes for my local stations. I wish they could report on all the same things, but they don't, they pick and chose and I suppose that is to compete with each other, but it makes me batty.