SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
razorback_rn

Wood/wood like flooring choices: Please help us decide on a plan

razorback_rn
18 years ago

Sorry if this is repititious but we need help!

We have been kicking around flooring choices for what seems like forever.

We considered laminate but are not fond of the hollow sound or the fake looking veneer/pictureish quality: even on the so called high quality laminates. "If" we go w/ laminate (which I hope that we don't) we wont go high end simply b/c the goal would be to upgrade at some point in the future. The upside to laminate is that we have DIY installed it before at two of my sister's houses and it can be purchased for less than $2/sq ft at some places.

We considered engineered hardwood flooring: the glue down and floating type. We ruled out the floating type b/c it comes in widths like laminate and we prefer a look that closely resembles actual HW flooring and b/c the flooring people told us that it will still have the hollow sound that a floating laminate floor has. So we are considering a glue down installation. HD has a Bruce glue down engineered wood product that comes in single slats like real HW flooring for $5.99/sq ft but we aren't sure about installing ourselves although I think we could figure it out (or at least I hope so). The things that we are weary about are: The flooring guys at a couple of different places told us that engineered HW flooring cannot be refinished EVER . . . although I read online that they can be refinished up to three times. We are also a bit worried about putting glue onto our cement slab: in case we ever wanted/had to replace the flooring. How much pain would it be to do this?

We have also looked at actual HW flooring which is actually our favorite option w/ the exception of a couple of drawbacks. The flooring place that most of my family uses has a 3/4 inch sight finished oak floor that can be installed for $6.50/sq ft (est): not counting the plywood base that would have to be installed. The problem is that it is a nail down floor that must be installed on 3/4" plywood b/c we are on slab. The floor would then end up being 1.5 inches thick. It's not a problem w/ our doors b/c the framer left plenty of room for our flooring choices. It would be a problem w/ the transitions between the HW floor and the kitchen tile. We are DIYing the tile and don't want to put down any backer board or what have you just to raise the floor up. We also need to look ahead and know that our house will be free of tripping haazards for the our safety as well as that of our guests.

Finally I know there are wood look vinyl plank type products out there but we don't live in a major metro area and have had difficulty finding any wood type vinyl products. We don't know what they cost or what they look like: though we would consider them. I'm guessing that this option is out for us. Sheet vinyl is also out b/c we simply don't want our foyer, study, dining and family rooms to look like a kitchen. We currently have wood look sheet vinyl in this house's foyer and we've hated it since it was installed.

Can someone help us decipher this maze?

Comments (19)

• boxers
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Laminate and prefinish flooring have an aluminum oxide finish that is extremely durable. Laminates can't be refinished at all. Engineered can be recoated multiple times without SANDING. Aluminum oxide can't be applied outside of a factory so you would never ever want to sand it all off as there is no way to refinish it, however you can recoat it very easily. To recoat you use a chemical that abrates the top surface allowing new material to adhere to the old. When your floors get scratched or start showing some 'wear' you can recoat them for a few $$ a sf without any dust or problems. I would not expect a floating engineered floor to have the same hollow sound as a laminate though I share your opinion on the the 3 strip on a plank look. Lowes had an Armstrong Laminate that cane in single strips and looked very well. I worked for Bruce and any single strip flooring is pretty easy to install with a nail gun. Glue gets a little trickier but not hard.

• razorback_rn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for your input.

We aren't able to do a nail down installation w/out first using 3/4 inch plywood over the slab which would raise our wood floors a good bit higher than the tile floors: unless we use some sort of underlayment under the tile which we don't want to do.

I think we will consider the single strip glue down/engineered flooring by Bruce. We have plenty of handy people in our family that I think we could figure it out.

If we go w/ engineered wood floors we would have to use some sort of vapor barrier. Right? What do we use?

We've read about a paste/glue type troweled on vapor barrier. Is it also a glue? Or is it troweled on; allowed to dry then the glue/engineered floor installed?

If it takes two separate processes then a floating engineered floor may be our most feasible option b/c the vapor barrier is more of a roll out type stuff.

• Related Discussions

PLEASE help us find good looking engineered wood flooring!

Q

Comments (10)
    Definately Owens for several reasons. Very thick wear layer and much longer lengths. In fact if you wanted all lengths over four foot you could add an extra 15% on the order to cull out the two and three footers. Lenths up to eight feet, which is extremely rare in engineered. It's also not easy to find those kind of lengths in common solids as well. Owens is an unfinished product. People will be in awe when they see the final result. Pictured is a white oak select.
    ...See More

Need help deciding on wood flooring

Q

Comments (3)
    Thank you for your feedback! Yes, I agree that darker floors will be more maintenance. We thought that something like Brazilian cherry fell into the "not too dark" category and would be less maintenance. : ) PlanationHF- thank you for posting the picture! What brand are the floors - they appear "handscraped" .. are they? What's your experience been with the upkeep?
    ...See More

Help with wood flooring choice

Q

Comments (1)
    I would stick with something tight grained and light in tone so it doesn't compete with your other choices -- both the cherry and the granite you mentioned will have strong character and movement and will be quite dark. IMO, by going light and neutral it will set off your other choices and showcase them better. Natural maple or non-carmelized bamboo, for example.
    ...See More

Wood floor, tile floor, I just can't decide! Help?

Q

Comments (22)
    We had a similar dilemma when replacing floors in kitchen/family room. Both rooms connect to where we have or will shortly have hardwood floors, so no laminate or vinyl wood-looking tile was even considered. We ended up with Downs luxury vinyl tile (LVT). It is a floating floor that clicks together very, very tightly. You really have to see it in person to appreciate the difference between it and other vinyl---definitely a huge step up from sheet vinyl. It's not tile or slate, but I am happy with the looks and easy maintenance of our floor. If you've had tile before and are happy with that option, that might be your preference. I have had tile floors before and didn't want them again, so the LVT provided the correct option for us.
    ...See More
  • free_at_last
    18 years ago

We're going through the same decision process for the same reasons-- I wish there was a perfect, simple answer. We've bumped around between laminate and engineered wood for months now (having ruled out solid wood for the reason you mentioned.)

I do know there are solid wood products available that are thinner. The ones I've run across are all prefinished, but ran around 1/3 of an inch thick which might bring the height of the floor down enough to work in your situation.Its been a while since I looked at them, but I believe Bruce has quite a few to chose from.

We've finally (or at least finally as of this week--maybe it'll change *next* week :-) decided to go with a strand woven bamboo that can be glued down to a concrete slab. I'm a pretty traditional sorta gal and didn't think I'd like it in our country home, but after getting the samples and seeig them in person, have changed my mind. Its very solid, durable and has a hefty feel that appeals to DH and me.

This is the color we're considering. It only comes in two-- natural and carbonized. There are other types of bamboo products (vertical and horizontal) but we ruled those out because of chipping issues on our test pieces. Plus, to us this looks more traditional.

{{gwi:1532038}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Yanchi strand woven bamboo

• boxers
    18 years ago

Bostiks best and several others are urethane glues that do act as a moisture barrier as well as the glue. Look at Bruce's Natural reflection. Its a solid but thinner so that might help the height issue. It can be glued or stapled and comes in single strips like you want.

• chinchette
    18 years ago

I have used two floors that are really great engineered woods that can be sanded up to three times. One was Lauzon, and the other was Mirage. If you glue it down, it is going to be permanent and its an important decision. There are nicer products than Bruce in that price range. I ordered off the net.

You can get a fantasic education on a website called Hardwoodfloorinstaller.com

• razorback_rn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info. I still don't know what we will do.

We contacted a flooring company that is going to come out and give us a quote to do our flooring. I'm bracing myself b/c I just know the price is going to be very high but we are thinking that it might not be better to DIY this floor.

Still considering the other options though. We just really don't want the floor to be 1.5 inches high where there is wood floor and the rest of the house lower.

• arielitas_mom
    18 years ago

We are in a single story home on a concrete slab and grappled with this very issue.

We decided to use a solid wood floating floor by Junckers - a Scandinavian company - that comes in both a 9/16 inch and a 7/8 inch thickness and is floated over a thin vapor barrier/felt pad. They are attached to each other with a special "clip" system. (they can also be glued or nailed down to plywood sustrates.

We went with the 7/8 inch thick beech version. The 7/8 inch floors can be sanded up to 7 or 8 times (it can also be "screened" without sanding - i.e., the process that boxers described above). You wouldn't need the expense or the height of the plywood subfloor (although they will be higher than tile floors. Rather than put transistions, we had our tile installer raise the height of the bathroom floors (we were remodeling them anyway). He added concrete to the existing slab in the bathrooms to raise the height, but he could've used hardibacker if he wanted to.

One of nice things about Junckers floors is that you can remove parts of them or add to them if necessary (they claim that you can take them with you when you move, but obviously no one's gonna want to do that). We were able to lay the floors in two phases - the main living areas were laid over a year ago. We recently remodeled and expanded the bedrooms. We then laid floors down that integrated seemlessly with the existing floors in the main living areas.

I *love* these floors - they are sturdy and solid, and have all of the beauty and durability of solid wood. They're comfortable to walk on and don't sound hollow in the same way that thin laminates or other floating floors do.

Here is a link that might be useful: junckers floors

• dream_home
    18 years ago

arielitas_mom,
    where and how do you order from Junckers Floors ? Do you have them deliver ?

• skeeterbug
    18 years ago

Sound like you want real wood! Why would you buy something that you don't really want just because you may stub your toe? I would raise the other floor, and go with what you want. I am not experienced in buying things I don't want so I can't help you.
    From where I sit I can see a vinyl floor -wood strip-laminate floor -wood strip- carpet floor - wood strip to hardwood floors, not to mention the foyer that steps down to vinyl tiles. Oh Well.

• razorback_rn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Skeeter: We do want real wood but the reality is that we are on a budget and are trying to look ahead some.

We could do real wood and have a 1.5 inch height difference w/out raising the other floor height but that wouldn't work well over all: we don't think it would work right and if we ever move in either of our aging parents then it becomes a tripping haazard.

We could raise the level of the other floors but again that isn't really cost efficient unless tile can be raised that much using thinset mortar which I don't think can.

Engineered wood floors seem like our best option. I like the look: some of the better ones look no different than solid wood. I've read that they wear well, too. But again we would not be able to use the nail down type or we will end up in the same situation that the solid wood floors would pose.

We are going to have to find a good quality glue down or floating engineered floor.

• tonbiak
    18 years ago

razorback, HD has a 20% off sale right now on all special order flooring. With the sale you can get the engineered down to less than the stock laminate.

• razorback_rn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info Ton. I'll look into it.

• arielitas_mom
    18 years ago

Dreamhome - There are dozens of retailers in my area that sell Junckers. I got a killer deal on Junckers overruns from my flooring guy (who walks on water, IMHO) - it was less than 50% off the usual price for the 7/8" Classic (highest grade) Beech. He delivered and installed it - also quite reasonably. We actually over-ordered because we knew we were going to do an addition, but ended up doing a much smaller addition than we had planned, so I have a bunch left over. What area are you in?

• flooring_rosn_net
    17 years ago

how would I install engineered wood flooring over old tile mortar? the tile has been ripped up, and it is a concrete slab, some of which has old tile mortar left on it, with about 1/2" wide ridges (flat) and 1/4" valleys. What should I do, and what options do I have? I've been thinking about just gluing down the wood to it....???
    Many thanks!
    Arden B.

• floorguy
    17 years ago

Grind the mortar off.

The substrate needs to be flat, and smooth, or your going to have a lot of firewood

• floorman67
    17 years ago

scrape off what you can with a flooring razor scraper available at most big box home improvement centers and buy lots of extra blades. Use extreme care as the blades are razor sharp. Shop vac clean.

Anything you cant scrape off, grind so the floor is flat, to within your wood manufacturers specified height/flatness tolerances (should tell you this in the products installation literature).

If the floor still isnt within those height/flatness tolerances, then you may need to perform additional preparation (filling/screeding/grinding) until it is.

• floorman67
    17 years ago

if you are having an extreme amount of trouble getting the mortar off the floor then you might need to use a small electric chipping hammer with a spade bit, or screed over the area with a cement based filler to flatten it to within tolerances.

• mia-1
    17 years ago

Dear Wood Lovers! If you haven't heard or seen wood tile before, it's a MUST SEE! It's the coolest stuff ever! As crazy as it sounds, it looks and feels just like real wood, without the hassle, maintaince, or costs. It's the upcoming thing. Check it out on line. If I knew how to post a link/picture of it I would. I'll try later.

• mia-1
    17 years ago

Dear Wood Lovers! If you haven't heard or seen wood tile before, it's a MUST SEE! It's the coolest stuff ever! As crazy as it sounds, it looks and feels just like real wood, without the hassle, maintaince, or costs(well...the ones I've seen do). It's the upcoming thing! Check it out on line. If I knew how to post a link/picture of it I would. I'll try later.