SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tyjy_gw

Is this Smartstrand a good quality? Are long fibers problematic?

12 years ago

We like the color of the Mohawk SmartStrand "Starfall: "Multi" (multi-color) style carpet at Lowes. The sign says it is a "Special 8-color selection of fleck friezes". There is a "Best" and a "Better" version in same color I like. Both versions have a 5.50 x 5.50 twist, the density & face weights are different (Best=45 oz & 1,714 density; Better=35 oz & 1,623 density).

Does this describe a good quality carpet? Is the

"twist" tight enough and "density" decent?

The fibers seem to be rather longish. Should I be cautious about this as far as developing traffic patterns goes? Is anyone familiar with this style and can you tell me if it'll "mash down" more than a shorter style?

(The clerk steered me towards Stainmaster with shorter strands... "nylon 6,6" styles as an alternative to that particular Smartstrands length. Any opinions about this or which is a better choice?)

Also, an observation, wondering if this is normal for a "store sample": When I took one of the twisted fibers (of the Smartstrand multi) between my fingernails and pinched/pulled it, it seemed to get fuzzy on the ends. Also, a few twisted/fiber strands actually pulled right out of the backing. (I was attempting to find out if a vacuum would get ahold of it and pull it/unravel anything! Had an awful experience with that type of problem years ago and NEVER want to repeat the mistake!!) Are these things typical of a sample piece that experiences unusual circumstances like this vs. actually installed in a home without culprits like me abusing it like I did?

Comments (11)