SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamm1_gw

Should wood planks go direction of Sunrays or Length of Room?

jamm1
14 years ago

Getting ready for engineered 3 1/2"W Tigerwood planks (which have quite a bit of markings)to be installed. My dilemna is what direction the planks should go in my two rooms with most sunlight coming through. I am told that planks should go direction of sun rays, in the case of my family room that would be the shorter direction of 13x19 fam room. The family room is adjoining perpendicular to living room with less sun, so both need to be same direction. My living room is directly in front of foyer and I'm told plank should always lead in, which again is the width of living room (18x22) and would be same direction of sun rays in adjoining family room. But I'm concerned with choppy look since this direction would be the width and not the length for both rms--which is the other rule of thumb going the length. If I go length, it will not lead in at foyer to living rm. Fam Rm width is 6' shorter than length, is this amount insignificant to worry about choppy look? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (10)