SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
changeling_gw

Simple Baked ham glaze, no Internet recipes please.

changeling
16 years ago

I am going to cook 1/2 shank ham tomorrow like you get in the grocery store (Smithfield).

I have always done it a specific way, not particularly great, and I've cooked lots of them because I basically chew on them all week then repeat the process!

My way: Wrap the ham in heavy duty alum foil, pour 1/2 a can of beer in and then wrap it up with more foil so it doesn't leak. Cook for 3 hours at 325deg.

Open it up and spread a mixture of "Brown sugar/honey on a checker board patern studded with cloves that you stick in each of the squares. Whoops, I raised the oven to 400 degrees with the ham in till it glazes!

Because you have to keep opening the oven door to see every 10 minutes! This is not working very well.

Bottom line, I don't think I'm cooking these hams very well!!

The one I am cooking tomorrow is a 10lb Shank from Safeway grocery store.

I would really appreciate a method of cooking this ham that is simple and without any surprises, because it's obvious I am not getting it right!

I'm using a Maytag oven (2 year old), I have a 3/4 inch baking stone in the bottom to control the temperature once it gets to where it is supposed to be.

Comments (18)