SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angelaid

Anchovies

angelaid
11 years ago

I love these little things. On pizza, Caesar salad, right out of the tin. Do you like them? How else do you use them in your kitchen?

Comments (32)

• mustangs81
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The above and spaghetti alla puttanesca. Love anchovies too.

*When I was first married I made my family's Italian salad almost every night which included anchovies. After about a month of marriage, the sweet HG said he didn't like anchovies. I grew up with anchovies and thought that was blasphemous. So I put anchovy paste in the salads. He said some weeks later, "funny, I know there aren't any anchovies in this salad but I can still taste them." He finally adapted to them.

My daughter on the other hand never did and wouldn't even ride in the same car with an anchovy pizza.

• triciae
    11 years ago

Yes, we both love anchovies. Use them mostly in pasta sauces. I don't think I use any recipes that specifically call for them, I just add anchovies anyway. They melt right in to the olive oil and garlic and add so much to the flavor profile. Oh, I also love anchovy in Green Goddess salad dressing.

Green Goddess

1 cup good mayonnaise
    1 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts (6 to 7 scallions)
    1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
    1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
    2 teaspoons chopped garlic (2 cloves)
    2 teaspoons anchovy paste
    2 teaspoons kosher salt (I skipped)
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 cup sour cream
    3 heads Bibb lettuce
    2 to 3 tomatoes

Place the mayonnaise, scallions, basil, lemon juice, garlic, anchovy paste, salt and pepper in a blender and blend until smooth.

Add the sour cream and process just until blended. (If not using immediately, refrigerate the dressing until ready to serve.)
    Cut each head of lettuce into quarters, remove some of the cores, and arrange on 6 salad plates.

Cut the tomatoes into wedges and add to the plates.

Pour on the dressing and serve.

/tricia

• Related Discussions

Anchovies ???

Q

Comments (19)
    Colleen I was just thinking about that recipe, and it's true that you don't taste the anchovies at all. They just heighten the flavour. Here it is: (Poached meatballs in lemon & caper sauce.) Here is a German dish which originated in Königsberg, former capital of eastern Prussia, now part of Russia and called Kaliningrad. Having a pleasant, mild flavour, these meatballs are also a low calorie dish as they are cooked in water. They're well known in most German households and are often a family favourite. Ingredients: 1/2 lb finely ground veal (225 grams) 1/2 lb finely ground lean pork (225 grams) 1 large onion - peeled and finely chopped 8 finely chopped + 2 finely chopped later for sauce (total 50 grams) 2 TBS capers finely chopped + 1 TBS whole capers later for the sauce 1 lg egg, beaten 3 slices firm crusts removed, soaked in water juice of 1/2 lemon - or juice of whole lemon if it is very small 2 bay leaves 2 whole cloves (aromatic spice cloves) 1/2 TBS oil for frying onion 2 TBS flour mixed with water salt & freshly ground pepper 1. Sauté onion gently until golden and put aside. 2. Mix the two ground meats with 8 of the chopped anchovies, 2 TBS chopped capers, beaten egg and the soaked bread which has been squeezed dry. Then mix in the cooled fried onion and some salt and pepper. 3. In a wide saucepan put 3 3/4 cups of water and add some salt, the lemon juice, bay leaves and cloves. Bring to the boil. 4. Meanwhile form large meatballs with hands and place on a plate - about 14 meatballs. If water boils, turn off until all meatballs are formed. 5. and bring it slowly back to the boil then lower heat and let simmer gently for 30 minutes. Turn meatballs once or twice during this time. 6. When cooked, remove meatballs with slotted spoon to a casserole and keep warm. Mix flour and cold water to a paste and add to the cooking water, stirring to thicken. Add the last two anchovies, chopped fine and 1 TBS whole capers. Bring to the boil and simmer 2 - 3 minutes. 7. Pour and serve with boiled potatoes and green beans. I actually had more sauce than what appears here in the photo. I kept the rest in the pot on the stove for keeping hot. Note: They turned out very well. My lemon was VERY juice and I used all the juice which was a bit too much. Go easy on the lemon juice if it is a large lemon. SharonCb
    ...See More

anchovy paste vs anchovies

Q

Comments (7)
    A wonderful anchovy-using side dish... Saute lots of garlic in extra virgin olive oil. Add smashed anchovies or anchovy paste & a good amount of either black pepper or red pepper flakes and lots of minced fresh parsley. Add the pasta, and squeeze a whole, juicy lemon over all and toss well. Top with good Parmesan. I don't have a fixed recipe, because all the ingredients are really to taste.
    ...See More

Anchovies - Storing after opening.

Q

Comments (9)
    You can buy them on line, but I buy this brand at the market, which is a bit more expensive on line, although I do not know what shipping costs are. I store the jars in the fridge after I have opened them, and I imagine that you could store tinned anchovies in olive oil in a small jar in the fridge for some time. You might want to add salt to the olive oil, unless they are already sufficiently salty. The olive oil solidifies around them, and so you would want to keep them covered in oil in the fridge. I've kept them for several weeks and they were still fine, but my fridge is very cold. Freezing would not hurt them. I buy the ones wrapped around capers because I like to have capers (and olive oil) in the recipes that I use anchovies for. Also, they are easier to handle this way. If you cannot find the anchovies in jars in your regular market, try an Italian deli or Middle Eastern market or just a more upscale regular market. I buy them at Gelson's, which is a local upscale market, but I haven't looked for them elsewhere, and I always keep an extra jar on hand. Lars
    ...See More

Pasta with cauliflower... and a big thanks

Q

Comments (1)
    It must be the weather, I have been on a pasta kick for the past couple of weeks. It takes me SO LOOOONG to eat up a batch of pasta though. I am still working on the shell pasta with pesto and kidney beans I made last Sun. I still have that other cauliflower recipe you posted with the gruyere cheese on my "to try" list. I love cauliflower! This will be a great recipe for me. Thanks for posting it.
    ...See More
  • jadeite
    11 years ago

Another anchovy-lover here. When friends would order their Caesar salad without anchovies, I'd ask if I could have them instead. We have them on pizza and Caesar salad too. DH isn't crazy about the amount of salt so I get most of them.

Cheryl

• arley_gw
    11 years ago

Gotta have em on Caesar salad, and I'll do the same: if someone asks for no anchovies, I'll ask for theirs to be put on mine.

Forgive the length of these posts, but here are two recipes where you wouldn't expect anchovies but they make a stellar contribution. I make the pot roast at least once a month, and do the turkey dish at least once in the summer.

Pressure Cooker Chuck Pot Roast

In this pot roast variation, anchovies are used to provide a savory kick. A two ounce can of anchovies works well with a pot roast of 3 or 4 pounds; if you're making a smaller 2 pound pot roast, you may wish to use just a half a can of anchovies. What to do with the leftover half can of anchovies? If you have a pet, toss those extra anchovies on the pet food, along with any oil from the can. Our dog goes crazy for anchovies. Smelly, salty, strong--what's not to like? Don't worry, the anchovies dissolve in the broth of this dish, which doesn't taste at all fishy.

Chuck roast, 3 to 4 pounds
    2 or 3 onions, chopped fine
    4 carrots, peeled and chopped
    4 to 6 ribs of celery, chopped fine
    One 8 oz. package of mushrooms, trimmed and quartered--more if desired
    One can of low sodium chicken broth (12-14 oz)
    Two bay leaves
    Black pepper
    One 2 ounce can of anchovies, drained and chopped

First, make the mirepoix: chop the onions, carrots and celery. Put half of it in the bottom of the pressure cooker along with half the mushrooms, one bay leaf and the can of chicken broth. Give a generous grinding of black pepper to what's in the cooker.

Coarsely chop the anchovies. Put about half of the chopped anchovies in the pressure cooker and swirl to mix with the other ingredients.

Place the meat on top of the ingredients in the cooker. Smear the remaining chopped anchovies on the surface of the meat, place a bay leaf on the meat, give another generous grinding of black pepper, then place on top of the meat the remaining mirepoix and mushrooms.

Attach the pressure lid. Bring up to high pressure, then cut back the heat to just maintain high pressure. Cook on high pressure about 50 minutes for a 3 pound roast, 60 minutes for a 4 pounder. When the time has elapsed, turn off the heat and allow the pressure to come down by itself (that is, don't vent the cooker or place it in the sink and run cold water over it). That could take 15 minutes. You may wish to cook up something to catch the juices--rice, couscous, noodles--during this time.

Once the pressure is down, remove the roast to a platter. Allow it to rest a bit before slicing it. As you slice it, put the slices back in the pot liquid to keep them moist. Serve the slices with a generous scoop of the pot vegetables and liquid.

Leftover slices can be made into great hot roast beef sandwiches. Use good crusty French bread, toasted.

There's a classic European dish of roasted veal breast in tuna sauce, vitello tonnato. Julia Child adapted it for poached turkey breast instead of veal. (It's much cheaper and more tender, and it works very well.) This recipe is ideal for hot weather, especially for a luncheon for several people. You make the entire recipe a day or two in advance: the day of the lunch, all you have to do is take the dish out of the fridge and, if desired, decorate it a bit. You can serve this dish with a salad, or make sandwiches with it, or just eat it plain. Delicious. If you don't like capers, leave them out; it'll still taste great.

I'm reproducing the recipe exactly as Julia has it, but I would note that when I made it I found that the Dijon mustard tended to overpower the other ingredients; even though she calls for 2 to 3 tablespoons, I'd start with only 1 tablespoon and add a little more if needed. (I know it takes chutzpah to overrule Julia, but there you have it.) While it calls for poached turkey breast (and I include her directions for poaching a turkey breast) if you just want to try out the sauce, you can 'cheat' and go to the deli and get several slices of precooked turkey breast and use that. (I've done that ; works great, although it ends up costing about three times as much as poaching a turkey breast on your own.) She makes the point that you don't serve it as sliced turkey with a sauce on the side; you need to smear each slice with the sauce and let the slices absorb the flavors for a day or two.

You can make the sauce in either a blender or a food processor. If you have a food processor, though, the sauce is extremely easy to make. In fact, my Cuisinart has a push-tube with a hole in it that is designed to drip oil at just the right speed for emulsifying with the other ingredients.

Tacchino Tonnato from Julia Child's The Way to Cook
    (Cold Sliced turkey breast in tuna and anchovy sauce) For 8 or more servings

1 - 7 oz tin (1 cup) tuna packed in water, drained
    1 - 2oz tin of flat fillets of anchovies packed in olive oil, drained
    One-fourth cup capers, squeezed dry
    The grated peel of one half lemon
    2 to 3 tbsp Dijon-type prepared mustard (you may wish to start with just one and add more if needed)
    1 large clove of garlic, pureed, then mashed to a very fine paste with one-fourth tsp salt
    4 egg yolks
    1 to 1 1/2 cups or more virgin olive oil
    Drops of lemon juice
    Salt and freshly ground white pepper

One 6-pound poached turkey breast (recipe follows this one) or 16 to 20 generous but thin slices of cooked turkey breast
    Decorations: 1/3 cup capers, drained; coarsely chopped parsley; lemon wedges

The sauce. Puree the tuna, anchovies, capers, lemon peel, mustard and garlic paste in the machine, then add the egg yolks and puree several seconds, until the mixture has thickened. Finally, with the motor running, start adding the oil in a very thin stream of droplets, and continue without pause until three-fourths of a cup of oil has gone in and the sauce has thickened into a heavy cream. It will not be as thick as mayonnaise, but should hold itself in creamy suspension. Process in one-half cup more of oil, depending on how thick a sauce you wish to have. Season carefully to taste with lemon juice, salt and pepper; the sauce should have character, but should not be too strong in taste or it will kill off the turkey.

Slicing the turkey. If you are using a poached turkey breast, discard the skin. Carefully remove in one piece the whole side of each breast from the carcass. Cut the meat at a slant crosswise (across the grain) into elegant slices less than 1/8 inch thick.

Assembling. Spoon a layer of sauce in the bottom of a serving platter, and arrange the turkey on top, spreading each slice with a coating of sauce. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 to 48 hours before serving.

Serving. Let the platter sit at room temperature for 20 minutes to take off the chill. Meanwhile sprinkle on the capers and parsley, and decorate with lemon wedges.

Poached Turkey Breast

Set up a 6-pound bone-in breast of turkey breast up in a kettle just large enough to hold it comfortably, surround it with 1 cup each of chopped carrots, onions and celery, and a large herb bouquet. Pour in 2 cups of chicken broth, 1 cup of dry white French vermouth or dry white wine, and enough water to cover the breast by 1/2 inch. Bring to the simmer on top of the stove; skim off the gray scum, which will continue to rise for several minutes. Salt lightly, then cover the pot loosely and maintain at the bare simmer for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, adding a little boiling water if the liquid evaporates to expose the turkey. It's done when a meat thermometer, pushed in to the thickest part of the meat near the shoulder (but not touching bone) reads 162 to 165 F. Let the turkey cool in its broth for at least 30 minutes.

Refrigerate uncovered; when chilled, remove the turkey to a covered container.

• cloudy_christine
    11 years ago

I only use anchovies in Green Goddess dressing. Since I make that only when there's tarragon in my garden, I freeze the tinned anchovies in packets of three or four.

CC's Green Goddess Dressing

1/2 cup loosely packed parsley sprigs, washed and patted very dry on paper toweling
    1/2 cup loosely packed tarragon leaves, washed and patted very dry on paper toweling
    1/4 cup loosely packed chives (The easiest way to measure is to snip them into 1-inch lengths directly into the measuring cup.)
    1 scallion, washed, trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths
    1 small garlic clove, peeled
    4 anchovy fillets, rinsed and well drained
    1 cup mayonnaise
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 teaspoon vinegar
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    3 to 4 grindings of black pepper

Put all ingredients into a food processor fitted with the metal chopping blade. Turn the motor on and let run steadily for about 1 minute, or until dressing is uniformly creamy and smooth. Pour into a jar, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Use to dress crisp green salads.

• Lars
    11 years ago

Now I'm going to have to make Green Goddess dressing. I'll have to make Tricia's because I don't have tarragon - I used to have it in my yard, but almost never used it. I use it mostly on fish, and I have some tarragon vinegar that I use on salads.

Lars

• anoriginal
    11 years ago

Do not like them on pizza... BUT!?! Watching "Ciao Italia" on PBS TV and Mariannne Esposito was making muffaletta. The olive salad/spread was green & black olives, onions & garlic, red roasted peppers, artichoke hearts and nice olive oil... all ZIZZED (technical term!?!) in food processor. She INSISTED that the 5-6 anchovies were ESSENTIAL, but I was skeptical... after experience with EXTREMELY fishy flavor?? I added 1, then 2, then 3 to processor and result was GREAT. Think might be something that you have to use IMMEDIATELY after opening can??

• Jasdip
    11 years ago

We love pasta puttanesca and I use the paste in it. We were shopping and I picked up a tube and hubby wrinkled his nose and wondered what I got *that* for. He darned near crapped when I told him I use it in the pasta.

I got that Italian cookbook from the library. I can't remember the author but you know her! She makes the butter pasta sauce which is to die for. Anyway she said to always use the ones from the tin, as the paste is nowhere near the flavour or quality. I like the paste for convenience and have never bought the real thing.

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

Rather than the tins, I use the ones in a glass jar. Side-by-side I find the taste and texture is better.

I get them at the Fresh Market but Amazon is my backup.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jar of Anchovies

• abundantblessings
    11 years ago

Anchovies are terrific flavorful additions to many dishes. I've not tried it is pot roast but will next time; thanks. One dish I like to use it in is pasta w/ clam sauce. It kicks up the sauce perfectly, even when I add a bit of rendered sausage (hot or not).

Lars, try tarragon on lightly steamed/sauteed in butter green beans. Perfect!

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

There's a really good meatball recipe -just remembered the name- Konigsberger Klopse- which Canarybird posted years ago iirc. A surprising addition is anchovies, and we really like them.

• jakkom
    11 years ago

Anchovies, like soy sauce and some other foods, are "umami" ingredients. They add depth and savoriness to many things.

My spouse loves anchovies so much, his preferred salad dressing is just a tin of anchovies whizzed smooth in the blender with 1 cup of EVOO and a garlic clove. A sprinkle of fresh cracked black pepper and he's in heaven. I freeze it in small containers as it's just for him. I enjoy anchovies and often cook with them, but he's the one with the love affair with salty little fishies.

Must be the most harmless two-timing ever, LOL!

• riverrat1
    11 years ago

We love them! I can't keep them in the house for DH eating them right out the jar. Now, the tube of anchovie paste lasts a bit longer only because he doesn't know about it. If he ever finds it I'll probably find him sucking it right out of the tube.

I use the paste alot more than the tinned/jarred anchovies. Love it in homemade salad dressings!

• Islay_Corbel
    11 years ago

a really easy supper dish is - put some seasoned salmon fillets at one end of a baking tray. At the other end, out some lightly cooked french beans, topped with black olives, cherry tomatoes and anchovies. Bake until the fish is cooked.

Another favourite is pissaladiere. Make a pizza base, top with caremalised onions, olives and anchovies. Heaven.

• Lars
    11 years ago

I'll have to try these green bean recipes with tarragon or anchovies. I have dried tarragon, which I think should work. I've never made salmon with green beans, but that sounds like a perfect meal.

I like to buy anchovies in jars with the

, but then I love capers. I also keep a tube of anchovy paste for when I'm out of the jarred anchovies. I can't imagine not having them on hand, as they are essential for the Caesar dressing and I also like them on pizza and in puttanesca.

Lars

• shaxhome (Frog Rock, Australia 9b)
    11 years ago

Easiest pasta sauce you'll ever make...

Good slug EVOO in saucepan/frypan, heat to medium, then gently fry couple of minced garlic cloves, couple of minced hot chillies, and couple of anchovies. Cook 2 minutes until anchovies dissolve, add squirt of lemon juice, then tip the lot over a bowl of cooked pasta and mix through to coat. I also add a few chopped capers and ground black pepper at the end. Takes 5 minutes and delicious!

This post was edited by shaxhome on Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 7:00

• pkramer60
    11 years ago

Love those salty little darlings, and like Cathy buy them in a large jar for whole use and also a tube of paste. Often, when a dish is just missing "something", a nice splurt does the trick. I buy both at the grocery or the Italian/Greek stores.

Uses are those listed above, including the Klopse but also for Schnitzle. Always served with lemon and anchovies.

And when a salt craving hits, I am sucking on that tube.

• abundantblessings
    11 years ago

I just remembered another yummy. Deviled eggs topped w/an anchovy.

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

I forgot about this appetizer:

Bagna Cauda
    A tasty dip for raw vegetables. Perfect for a simple dinner party or for a large gathering at a cocktail party. Bagna cauda literally means "hot sauce". It comes from the Piedmont region and the dip is best kept warm over a small food warmer or spirit flame in a flameproof bowl or dish.

Traditionally, vegetables such as artichoke bottoms and/or hearts, radishes, cauliflower, fennel, spring onions, cucumbers, yellow, red, and green bell peppers, mushrooms, celery, cabbage, carrots and cooked asparagus are cut into strips.

This versatile sauce can also be used to dress fried filet of sole, baked halibut and so on. Any leftover sauce can be used as a topping for cooked cauliflower or broccoli.
    1-cup extra virgin olive oil
    1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
    3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped very fine
    1 2-oz can anchovy fillets packed in oil, drained, chopped very fine

Prepare the vegetables that you choose to serve by slicing them thinly or in strips.

Melt the butter in a deep earthenware bowl or saucepan over very low heat, making sure butter does not bubble - just long enough to get butter hot.

As soon as the butter is melted add the olive oil and let it heat through.

Add the garlic and saute for an instant or two, (if crushed will cook faster than chopped) Do not let the garlic color at all. Remove.

Add the anchovies, stirring and mashing them with a wooden spoon.

Simmer for 3 or 4 minutes over very low heat, stirring continuously.

Sauce is ready when smooth in texture.

Keep warm the sauce warm over a spirit flame or canned heat burner.

• jimster
    11 years ago

Wow! This thread has so many great ideas!

Thanks, everyone.

Jim

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Elery loves anchovies, puts them in a lot of things, mostly he doesn't tell me, LOL. He adds them to marinara and salads. The only way we don't use them is on pizza. I'm apathetic, I'll use them or not and don't really care either way.

We have the small jars and we have a tube of paste, and seem to use them interchangeably.

Annie

• jimster
    11 years ago

How long should anchovies be kept in the fridge after they are opened? For most purposes I don't need a whole jar or can.

Jim

• cj47
    11 years ago

X2 Shaxhone...simple and one of my favorite ways to enjoy pasta.

Shhhh....anchovies are my secret flavor weapon. If you put a fillet into some hot oil, it will dissolve. I do this in beef dishes all the time, and it makes beef taste "beefier", but nobody would ever guess that there's an anchovy in there! It adds wonderful depth to a beef stew, beef braise, etc. The family knows my beef tastes better, but they don't know why and I'm not telling. DH and DS would be fine with it, but DD, maybe not so much and I'm not taking any chances.

Cj

• arley_gw
    11 years ago

CJ: it's probably prudent to keep it a secret. I've never told my MIL that those two dishes I listed above have anchovies in them. She raves about them, though.

• cloudy_christine
    11 years ago

I think it's dangerous to hide ingredients from people. I don't know about anchovies, but a lot of people are allergic to various kinds of fish and seafood.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Anchovies contain umami which is why that "extra" flavor sensation elevates a normal dish. The fifth sensation.

This post was edited by Bumblebeez on Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 14:20

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    11 years ago

I made this dip for a group of teenagers years ago, but did not tell them the ingredients. Served it with a variety of chips and crackers and vegetables. They practically licked the bowl clean. I never have told them to this day day (they are young men and women now) what is in the dip they so often request.

Goop

2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup milk
    1 1/2 teaspoons anchovy paste
    3 tablespoons grated onion
    1 pinch garlic powder

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine cream cheese and milk until creamy. Add more milk for a thinner dip. Using a fork, whip the anchovy paste, onion, and garlic powder into the mixture. Cover and refrigerate this dip at least one hour before serving � this is important so that flavors have an opportunity to blend.

Note: you can add more or less of the anchovy paste and onion to suit your tastes. If you like a thinner dip, add a little more milk.

This post was edited by walnutcreek on Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 15:45

• foodonastump
    11 years ago

I've not been able to read this thread with a straight face since early Saturday morning but while I'm a far cry from being an anchovies connoisseur, I'd like to respond to Jim's question about storage, prefacing with a big ol' FWIW.

Cooks Illustrated tested three methods to store anchovies for two weeks: Cover with EVOO and refrigerate in an airtight container, cover with kosher salt and refrigerate in an airtight container, and curl up, freeze and put in a ziploc bag and return to the freezer. Salted were bad (the necessary rinsing mellowed their flavor), those in EVOO were good but messy to deal with, so freezer won. Seems to me the freezer method would add some lifetime, too.

• User
    11 years ago

FOAS, we must have been thinking the same thing. LOL!!!!!

When I can find them, I buy jars of anchovies preserved in salt. They seem to keep a while. Good for when you only need one or two.

I also buy just the regular small flat can. Usually when I make Moe his favourite Cesar Salad. What doesn't get used gets tossed. Might as well throw them out immediately, than a few weeks later when I find them in the back of the fridge.

Ann

• centralcacyclist
    11 years ago

I'll have to explore the use of anchovies. They have never entered my repertoire though I have had them in/on things and liked them just fine. Moderation is key for me, I suppose. My first encounter with anchovies was in boarding school. Another student got a care package from home and in there were several cans of anchovies. She was thrilled and ate them straight from the can. I was less impressed. ;)

Eileen

• annie1992
    11 years ago

cc, I agree that things like fish shouldn't be "hidden" in dishes, especially those fed to people who you may not be close enough to know their food allergies or sensitivities.

For my family though? I'd give them a dish with anchovies, I know none of them are allergic and it's safe, so I just wouldn't think about telling them, probably.

Annie

• cj47
    11 years ago

I agree with you with regard to guests, but I expect that I would ask about food allergies when the invitation was given, and also whether the guests have a strong dislike for something in particular. But, when it's a routine family meal, I know who likes what, and whether there are allergies. Actually, I don't keep many secrets with regard to ingredients, and I'll probably teach my daughter the anchovy trick, when she's ready to hear it. I make it a point to teach them how to combine foods and seasonings for good flavor, so I usually do mention ingredients that I've used.

Cj