SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

eagle woman checking in !

User
12 years ago

Wow I am in Vero Beach at the library and only have 45 minutes left on the computer. Will make it fast and furious.

4/25 Pete picked me up in Opelika and we drove to Sarasota. Spent the night at his son's house. Next AM we rode to Casey Key and had a great time. We then had a nice dinner with his son and family. Went to the beach and watched the sunset at Siesta Key and saw the " green flash". It was so beautiful. Sand is like talcum powder.

4/27- up before dawn and and Pete's son drove us to Ft Meyers and the ferry to Key West. Beautiful ride and had nice views and smooth going. It is a 4 1/2 hr ride. We got in at 12:30 and rode down the Duval and Caroline Sts. Went to the Southern most point and took our pics. Forgot to get a pic of mile marker "1". Rode around and looked at the pretty water . Hot hot hot here and the seaweed and the mangroves stink to high heaven. Rode on to Stock Island and I got us a 50% discount on our campsite YEAH. Nice place. The rest of the group....Pam and Alan and Pam's husband met us and we went to Hogfish Grille and had a nice dinner.

4/28 - Key West-Long Key

Leaving with the

the others from our camp site . Left at 7:30 AM. It is so hot and windy. 84 at the start. Have no appetite in this heat but made myself eat a scrambled egg sandwich on raisin bread . Ate some coco nut yogurt too. We are drinking gatorade and I am making it extra strong. Really sweating up a storm. When we got to 7 mile bridge I had a flat on my trailer and didnt know it . Had Pete at the end of the bridge and he changed it. He had already dropped out and was riding with Pam's husband. He went on to the campsite for tomorrow. It got up to 94 today. Had 6 1/2 hrs pedal time and a total 9 1/2 hr day. This is our 1st day and is as long as any we had last year on our tour...sigh. 64 miles

4/29-- Long Key to Kings campground in Key Largo

pedal time 3hr21min 65.59 miles

started 8 AM. going strong . I am getting used to the heat already. Feel as good as I did at the end of the tour last year. Amazed that I picked up where I left off as far as fitness. Eating very lightly and frequently. Lots and lots of fluids. Camp site hot and sunny. Nice people though. Watched sunset and had a beer at the Carribean bar with the others. Pic of me with Bogart :) Movie Key Largo filmed here.

4/30- PT ( pedal time from now on ) 4:49

Avg mph 11.6

53.8 miles

Kings to South Miami and Alan's BIL's house.

Pedalied at 7:20 AM start from Kings . My Tevas fell off of my bike trailer and Pete his the back of Linda 's bike and did a great somersault. Scraped knee but otherwise OK> Great landing and wish we had a movie. Couldn't get him to do it again :) Had dinner out and slept OK. Did laundry for all of us. I like to do it to pay back for the help that I get due to my " no tire change " status.

5/1- PT 4:18

Avg 10.6

miles 44 South Miami to Ft Lauderdale

staying with Pams family. Nice folks. Had a big party for us and a cake. Rode through Coral Gables and saw lots of beautiful homes. In bed every night by 8:45. Up at 5:30.

5/2- PT 5:38

Avg 10.5

Miles 63

Ft lauderdale to North Palm Beach

on road 7:20 AM Pam had a flat. I am good to go now since we replaced tube. Rode through Hillsboro...mega homes...Stopped in West Palm for a sandwich . very nice Italian place....Stay the night in the Camelot Motel Good rooms and view of harbor North Palm Beach. I got a room alone. Slept great.

5/3 PT 4:28

Avg13

miles 57.67

North Palm to Ft Pierce

6:50 start. Went to Publix. Got stuff. Drinking OJ today sick of gatorade. Feel fantastic and riding very strong. My trailer is lighter as I sent a box home already :) Gorgeous estates on Jupiter. Very tasteful. Jupiter to Port Salerno to Whistle Stop cafe . got an egg sandwich and a brownie. Double bridges on to Hutchinson Island. We ride the A1A till Jacksonville.I did 18 miles with Linda and we left everyone behind. Smoked it....avg 15 mph. Staying at the Motel 8 and pickiing up another person so we are now 6 Bob joins Pete and I and Pam and Linda and Alan. Got lemonade and will have that tomorrow all day. Had 2 IPA's and a Jamaican dinner...swai fish....very good. Bed 9 PM

5/4 PT

Avg 13 so far today

Miles

Rode with the hellish traffic . Ft Pierce is awful...bad drivers and hate cyclists . Pete and I are here at library. meeting the others and staying at a home at Melbourne Beach.

Wish I could have more time but they say NO.Miss the forum...BAD !!! I can get email on my cell so you can email me through GW. c

Comments (15)