SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetbean_gw

Please help me choose a dining table & chairs (pics attached)

18 years ago

For context: We live in a Tuscan-ish house with a large greatroom that's immediately in front of you when you step into the foyer. You go through one of 3 arches and down 2 steps to enter it, and the ceiling is of normal height (the foyer has a 2 story ceiling, so you go from large/airy foyer to lower ceilinged/cozy greatroom). To your right is the seating area with a large white Texas limestone fireplace, and the dining area is to your left. There's a row of 3 French doors at the rear of the greatroom, which overlooks the back of our property.

In 4 yrs of marriage, we've collected a few pieces of furniture here and there (although we didn't have much in our TINY last home) and find ourselves stuck when it comes to the dining table and chairs. We've been looking for the perfect set (not necessarily a matched set) ever since we moved into our home over 1 1/2 yrs ago, to no avail.

I find that I LOVE French Empire but DH thinks it's just too delicate in proportion and design for the space and our other furnishings (and honestly I don't know that I could make it work with the Tuscan feel). We have 2 ornately carved Tudor sideboards we love (one is English, one is ?), but I don't want a Tudor table & chairs. Too heavy, too clunky. I've never seen a set that looked elegant.

We can't afford high-end new so I'm looking at used, vintage & antique, as well as a new line from Stanley (Provincia). We can't spend more than $5000ish for a table & 8 - 10 chairs.

Everything I find seems to be Queen Anne, Duncan Phyfe, mid-century modern, or that new tacky heavily carved "European" style (like you'd find at Rooms to Go). It all seems too glossy, too modern, too overdone, or too delicate.

I want something that doesn't scream "Purchased in 2006!". I don't want to hate it in 10 years. The table needs to seat at least 8, preferrably 10. It can't be too formal or too casual. I'm open to leather or upholstered chairs, but don't want cane or rush seats (too casual). I'd consider cane backs if it was the perfect set. I don't want a glass table, either.

Other than that, I'm open to any ideas. I've attached a link to photos of the tudor pieces that we have, a closeup of a detail from our sofa, the Stanley set we're considering, as well as a Bassett set I like (DH is not so crazy about it) and a Henredon table that is nice but not perfect.

Thanks for sticking with me through this lengthy post! What's your opinion? Have any suggestions?

And if anyone knows anything about the buffet, I'd love to hear! We know the tall sideboard is English but the other one is a little more ornate and we aren't sure.

Here is a link that might be useful: The search for the perfect dining table & chairs

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH