SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

Help me choose a dining table & Cab Color Please! : )

2LittleFishies
11 years ago

OK, long story short we sold our dining table b/c it had 4 legs and wouldn't work with a banquette bench. The kitchen/DR is one room but the dining area is 16x12. I don't want anything too formal but not too casual either! Kids will be at it regularly and don't want to have heart attacks on a regular basis.

In the kitchen area, our cabs are yellow lowers with marble counters, white uppers; white island with walnut butcher block. Floors are wood stained Provincial.

Now that we got rid of existing DR furniture we don't have to stick to certain colors table and cabinetry. We are planning 4 feet of cabinetry on either side of banquette bench/table. SO, wondering if I should do a wood colored cabinetry, or try white or something else? The woodwork/molding is white.

A few inspiration photos even though you've probably seen them:

walnut top:

floor:

this light:

with this fabric & backsplash:

I went to Arhaus Furniture today and liked a few things. My favorite is this COPPER top table. It felt great and has some special finish (wax?). They said it's pretty indestructible. I wondered if it would work with my fancy cottage look?

I'd get a rectangle.

Another is the Kensington which is really cool but I'm afraid too rustic?? My GC has this table with a glass top on it. I think it's great b/c the kids couldn't ruin in too much, but I think spills inside those nooks and crannies would be awful.

Then there's a Tuscany one that comes in different finishes...

What do you think? Other suggestions? Oh, and what color cabinetry?

(I LOVE...

Comments (40)

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Keep shopping. I think Arhaus is too rustic entirely for the look you're going for.

Plus, a copper table? You have to be very sure of what kind of finish that is. Copper constantly gets darker, lighter, greener, duller, shinier depending on what hits it--a lemon squirt shines it up. That looks great in circus's old Craftsmany kitchen but not so much in yours. Typically there's a lacquer on copper to "freeze" its current patina, but lacquer on metal is not permanently indestructible. If something gets under it, you have to strip the lacquer to repair or polish the top.

I think your cabinetry should be white if your trim is white. It's a built-in in a living space, not a cabinet in a kitchen.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hi marcolo- The salesperson said they don't further patina b/c of the finish.. who knows? She said you polish it with something but I didn't get into that with her... Other than wear, do you also think the copper look doesn't go?

Arhaus is rustic- you're right. What should I look for? I went to a few places and have looked online and am not sure.

I didn't know if white built-ins would look too "kitchen-y" and if the DR area should be different?
    "It's a built-in in a living space, not a cabinet in a kitchen." What do you mean? That I should have referred to them as built-ins? Or, something else? lol

• Related Discussions

Please Help Me Choose A Summer Coffee Table

Q

Comments (2)
    Sorry, this was my first attempt at posting a photo. Have to run, but will try again later!
    ...See More

please help with choosing a dining table color!

Q

Comments (6)
    no matching wood chairs; there will be waaaay too much wood. Get upholstered chairs, not mismatched unless you just have the heads of the table different and watch out for height of different chairs. They don't have to be identical, but do have to be in balance. I would not match the floor or the cabinets. Can you contemplate black? The floor and the cabinets fight each other. Cabinets are modern, floor is very traditional. Go to a store which offers professional advice with several pictures. Ethan Allen is one. Do not feel obligated to buy, just ask them what they suggest and what they have which would fit. I see dark brown furniture in the back. If that is staying, you will have to think further. Why not an old table you find that can be painted a favorite colo? Inexpensive and might totally transform your space.
    ...See More

Please help me choose the right fixtures for my kitchen/dining room?

Q

Comments (21)
    Everyone's remodel takes longer than they think! I'll be 1 1/2 years out on a kitchen remodel we thought would take 6 months, so I'm sure you're doing great. Thanks for the big photo of the fixture, and it does look perfect for your space with a nice blend of those colors in the drapery hardware as well as your somerset pendants and the mirrors. As for the mirrors, really anything can be made to work and blend into a space as long as colors, textures or patterns are repeated elsewhere in the room. If you like the mirrors, by all means keep them as they are despite all the opinions people are giving you. Other people aren't living with the space -- you are. It sounds like your pendant hanging length isn't going to interfere with head or visual space, but I'm not an expert on that so double-check the measurements. If your counters are a standard 36" high and the pendants reach 36" above that, then I think you'll be fine. Some people are putting in elongated fixtures over long dining tables, similar to the ones you posted in previous photos, but I have a dining table that is long with a small chandelier above it and have never felt that the fixture was too small. If you like the colors and shape of the round one you just posted, I think it would work for your long table, especially because it has so many lights in it. You might want to think about installing it with a dimmer so that it is not actually too bright for some occasions. I'm happy to throw in my suggestions as so many people have helped me a ton with our remodel here in the Houzz forums, primarily through the archive of searchable posts. I'm like you trying to make decisions on my own, so it's required a lot of time researching everything.
    ...See More

Help me choose chairs to go with a 17th century dining table!

Q

Comments (118)
    Hey fellow chair lovers! So, i made a decision 😬 i ordered 2 arch chairs from Sarah Ellison. And I got the big hairy light 😅 we obviously went over budget on the chairs, but they were just exactly right for me. I love the molded seat and postmodern column legs against the tables curves. we’ll do a bench at the back side (still considering a built in) Pictures below of the chairs, the light and a little mock up I did. Thanks again for such a fun and informative thread!
    ...See More
  • kim545
    11 years ago

I think the copper table is gorgeous! But I know nothing of it's upkeep. It's different and I think it complements the style of your kitchen nicely.

As to your dining room built-ins, you probably want to stick with your trim color, but maybe mix in some of the walnut that you have on your counter. White and walnut look really nice together.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Copper base, Tuscan top? Maybe keep looking for a table that has the base you like and an easy care wood finish? Several coats of urethane should take care of it...but I think you're right about the upkeep on that rustic table. Too many crevices!

As for cabinet color...maybe post the layout again? I would say it would depend on the fabric of the bench, the finish on the table, the window trim, etc. White would be a safe choice, but I think you already knew that...so maybe you're looking for something a little different?

Oh, and if you REALLY love the copper table, do some research, ask specifically about the finish and upkeep...and does it come with any kind of warranty? If not, then the finish probably won't be that easy to maintain...but again, that's just a guess.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

From one website that sells copper tables (woodlandcreekfurniture.com):

Copper Maintenance:
    Maintenance for copper is very low. Our copper is reclaimed and has many natural color variations. Every few months you take five minutes and apply a paste wax over the table top. Any common wax works fine. We use Johnsons, and this can be found at most hardware stores and Home Depot. Should the wax wear thin and the copper starts to turn a natural green patina due to oxidation, you simply take a little steel wool and very lightly rub. It will take all of 5-10 seconds. Wipe the dust away and put a coat of wax over. That is it. Hand hammered copper is very low maintenance

I'll check with Arhaus about warranty. Wood finish is fine but I'll have that at the island (with oil) and with a poly it shows scratches, etc. Maybe i'm wrong.

I'll post layout again later. Maybe carrying over the walnut color from island top to the base cabs in the built ins with same white uppers as kitchen would work well. I know the window trim and molding and french door trim will be white.

I have to decide on the finishes for table, banquette, window seat, fabrics, cushions. I doubt I'll use my bird fabric b/c it's not really upholstery fabric but maybe for some pillows and/or placemats?

• chiefy
    11 years ago

Little fishes - I'm sure you posted it elsewhere, but what IS that tile? I love it!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

That copper table is nice looking and would look good in your kitchen, IMO. My only reservation is, ok two reservations are that 1) a bench wouldn't work with the oval shape, and 2) it doesn't expand if you have more than 6 people at the table. At least with a rectangular table, you can set another square table of the same height and expand your seating. Or get a table with a leaf.

I actually like that Tuscany table for your space. I have a table with a similar trestle/feet and I have a problem with fitting chairs around the feet, and it looks like that one does too.

• rosie
    11 years ago

That copper table is lovely, but wasn't your island top to be the gorgeous wood element? I can't visualize your layout that well but am thinking it would depend on whether the kitchen needs a pair of costars or a supporting player. Do you need a large dark element down there to balance it out or something?

• Missy Benton
    11 years ago

My sister and another friend both have that copper table from Arhaus. They both hate it now because of all the marks from different things (like Marcolo said). My sister only has a newborn and my friend has three kids, just to compare life styles. It is pretty, though.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cbusmomof3- that stinks : ( I'd think it would be forgiving??

Here's some of the layout. There have been some minor edits but just to get an idea of the space... Dining area is on the far right with built ins on either side of the banquette. Above the banquette are 3 awning windows high on the wall.

Kitchen:

1st floor:

Kitchen/DR/LR-- There are pocket french doors between the LR and DR.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

chiefy- It is Wizard Tile and called Ribbons & Feathers.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmm- I read a couple of posts where people love the copper tables with kids. Maybe I should bring a lemon to the store! It felt so "soft". Whatever they put on it was really nice.

"Each piece of copper is coated with two layers of lacquer for a subtle, protective sheen, although we recommend the use of pads and coasters to guard against deep scratches and stains."
    "Occasionally, use Arhaus Furniture Copper Wax as follows: wash and dry surface thoroughly. Apply four dime size drops of product to a clean, soft cotton cloth to cover each 2� square area. Apply evenly with a straight back and forth motion. After haze appears, allow to dry for 15 minutes or up to 24 hours. Remove by buffing with a clean, soft cotton towel or t-shirt. An initial application of two coats is recommended, being sure to allow at least 24 hours between coats for curing.

Arhaus warrants all products to be free of defects in material and workmanship for the purchaser's lifetime. "

Anyway, that's just one option... Any other table suggestions? What would be considered "fancy cottage?"

Fishies : )

• colorfast
    11 years ago

You know, if you have to talk yourself into it, copper isn't right for you.

I really think you want a table with a leaf. You have the opportunity to host a large party in that space and you are walking away from that freedom. The Kipling from Crate and Barrel may not be quite the color you want but I think it comes closer to your inspiration picture than what you've showed us so far. They do have others with extensions. I keep eyeing the oslo since it seats up to 10 people, but I don't think it's the right style for you at all.

There are a lot of websites where you can have a table made to the dimensions you want but it does seem like jumping off at the deep end, doesn't it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Crate & Barrel Kipling Extension Table

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I really like the copper table, but some said it does wear well and some said it doesn't so that's what I'm curious about. At Arhaus, I'd custom order a rectangular one... Not the oval sizes they offer.

Anyway, there are many options so I'll keep looking.

colorfast- those are really nice but I need a pedestal table. Can't do the four legs.

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

What about a custom place where you can choose a base in whatever finish you want and them pick a top with whatever options in whatever wood suits your needs??

• francoise47
    11 years ago

2littlefishes,

It is good to think ahead on your dining area. But I also recommend that you don't buy anything until your kitchen is nearer to completion. Nothing beats living in the new space for two or three months to figure what will work best.

Have you (or anyone on GW) tried some of the new custom made sites? It seems like a great way to support local/USA woodworkers.

One example of a pedestal table I found on custommade.com (not necessarily right for your space -- too country/rustic -- but I loved it!)

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Custommade.com

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! Yes, I will certainly wait awhile. Just getting some ideas : )

• denali2007
    11 years ago

I am about to pull the trigger on a table from Gat Creek. They have a special finish on them that is like or is a finish they use on boats. Some sort of marine finish. These tables were originally made by Tom Seely then Gat Creek bought them out. They are so gorgeous in person. You can also choose your own edge and leg types. I just cant decide since I love them all. One of their finishes is a distressed finish which might be perfect for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tables

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    11 years ago

I think the Tuscany is the best option because you can customize the finish and size. The solid wood top is really smooth and easy to clean. Also, the trestle base is best for a banquette. I would use a finish close to that on your walnut countertops.
    I have the oval copper table in our breakfast nook with black chairs. it feels warm and sort of dark even though that area gets tons of light. I'm using an Ipad so I can't embed pics right now. I linked to a pic below. I still need window treatments and am trying to find a dining bench/settee, but you get the idea. We have cream cabinets and lots of white woodwork. Using a painted chair would really help lighten the look. I recently recovered te seatpads to a pale tan, cream, green, and blue Jacobean print. It look so much brighter. I am debating painting the chairs. Word of caution, the iron base could be difficult with a banquette. It's a knee catcher. I am putting a dining bench in front of the window, but no one will really sit there everyday. More for looks and occassional extra seating.
    As far as the finish, I treat our table as if it was wood. Meaning no super hot casserole dishes and no cutting directly on the surface. That's it! I don't use placements or coasters and I clean it with soapy water. This is our everyday table, so it gets a workout. After 3 years (including a major remodel), the table look gorgeous, not perfect, but still amazing.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

angc- Thanks! The picture is quite small- Would you have a larger one? : ) If you spill acidic foods on it, does it change the finish?

marti8a- So you think the Tuscan would be difficult with chairs? What is the problem you have?

As of now the built-in plans are that the piece to the left of the bench is a desk/organizational spot with no chair space. The top 1/2 would have doors that fold back into the unit so I could close it up when I want to... The OTHER side of the bench is a bar with countertop/backsplash. SO, my thought of doing a dark color (like my walnut) for the lowers and white uppers gets messed up b/c the piece on the left will really look like one piece with the doors shut. Unless you have other suggestions. We are still making changes.

I guess I could make all the built ins white with walnut countertops and do a walnut color bench and table. OR, a white bench.

Lastly we have the cabinetry as 24" deep but I may make it more like 20" (except where fridge needs it). As far as the bench, it should come out further than the built-ins so that you can get in and out easier, right?

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    11 years ago

Sorry about the little picture. Hopefully, this is better. I haven't had any problems after spilling acidic things on the table (ketchup,, lemon juice, wine,etc). The lacquer finish seems to be resistent to just about everything. One thing is that it can scratch. We just finished a remodel on this floor and I kept plastic milk crate boxes on the table for a few weeks. My kids pushed them out of the way at mealtime. I didn't realize how rough the bottoms were until is was too late. I think drywall dust and bits of debris had gotten stuck to them. Anyway, they are a couple of minor scratches in one area. That hasn't affected the actual color of the finish or copper, so it isn't a big deal.
    Hope this helps!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

angc- Thank you! Is yours from Arhaus?

This is a nice table from Ballard and comes in various colors:

Here is a link that might be useful: BALLARD TARVINE PEDESTAL TABLE

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Hi 2littlefishes:

The Ballard Tarvine table looks very functional -- lots of room for legs, knees and feet.

Plus, it comes in a variety of colors. Do either of the blue options work with your color scheme? If so, they might be a good way of not having to worry about detracting from your walnut countertop in the kitchen.

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I really like it! I ordered those swatches last night as well as a few of the other ones just in case... even the yellow! Some are on backorder for awhile but that's okay : )

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ballard Tarvine Table

Here are some other photos of the swatches and furniture in those colors... I don't want the furniture I'm showing but just to see the colors better --
    Distressed Blue

Distressed Blue Grey

Antique Walnut

Distressed Bianco

Distressed Chocolate

Distressed Yellow Ochre

Distressed Off White Over Grey

COLORS:

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm not usually a huge fan of distressed so I'm hoping they are not REALLY distressed! I can't wait to see the swatches. If the colors aren't good, the walnut looks really nice!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I still like the Ballard Tarvine but I wonder if getting chairs around feet will be an issue like marti8a brought up above?

Here's the Pottery Barn Frances which seems better in that regard

... and a copper table with wood base.

• springroz
    11 years ago

OK, everytime I see this, I want to post, so here goes.......I LOVE copper, it is my favorite look, I have tons of copper cookware, but it SMELLS horrible!! My friend did a bar in copper, and I could not stand by it. I would not want it on my table. Maybe it is just my nose.....

Nancy

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha, springroz! Haven't heard that one yet! Thanks for that though--!

• pawa
    11 years ago

There is a heaviness to the tables your posting.

Have you considered a white or painted table (possibly teal)? You could then get wooden-coloured chairs in the same tone as your island top and go crazy on the fabric seat cushions. (I would love to see barkcloth on these. YOu could really have fun here, using some of the fabrics you and lavender lass were looking at in a previous post.)

I don't like the copper table for your space! I would say it's mixing styles too much, and it's just plain getting away from your inspiration of cottagey/50's.

Maybe you could get some copper bunting pans and display them on the wall or something like that to get your copper fix.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hi pawa-
    Heaviness in style or color?

The Tarvine table above comes in all those colors so I'm waiting on the wood swatches. I thought that might be fun : ) Or do the table in wood tone and the chairs colored.

Other painted tables I've seen are round are just not large enough.

I agree the copper tables seem a bit "off". : ) Some pans are a fun idea!

• pawa
    11 years ago

heaviness in both - the legs are quite chunky on most of them, and they're dark. They also seem quite formal. Kind of Tuscan.

Here is what I'm picturing in my mind. It's less heavy:

Looking closer at your last post, I see some of the distressed items look really cute, like the chairs with the woven seats, and the teal side table.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pawa- Thanks! I was showing most of that furniture b/c it shows the colors the table/chairs come in.

The issue is I need a pedestal/trestle table because of the banquette bench. Most of the ones with the look you posted are 4 leg tables. If you see one that's a pedestal let me know : )

-fishies

• pawa
    11 years ago

oh cool! (I should read more carefully.)
    I'm excited see these colour swatches.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

2 Fishies - you are making great progress. I recently ordered our table - it won't work for you but will be great for our banquette. - Coffee height with a lift mechanism.

My point - you can get a semi -custom or custom piece which will meet your needs. I went to a local store who works with the Amish to build tables - some real beauties and less expansive than I expected.

I would have liked to go directly to the Amish that make the table - but the shipping costs were the limiting factor - by going through a store - they amortize shipping costs over multiple pieces of furniture.

This is the desk from the series that we are using - but we are getting the coffee table (OK - we broke down and also ordered the desk for our computer in another room....) This is the Grand River Series - but a lot of really nice workmanship for tables.

If you are in the A2 area - can't remember where you live - but King's Chosen has a lot of styles and they will work to customize (reasonable) a table for you. They have other styles that might better match your beautiful kitchen.

They deliver all across the country..... and if you get to the area - stop by!

(I have no affiliation with KC - just where I ordered our table)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmm. Good thought! Our cabinet maker is in PA (we are in NJ) and he is building our cabs, built-ins etc. He may build out banquette bench as well. He may be able to do a table also.

I like having leaves so we can change the size as needed. : )

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    11 years ago

argh, I had an entire answer swallowed by 'GET not implemented' error.

So, deedles, your dining room has alot to live up to in your very pretty kitchen. When you looked at the PB Frances, did you see the Toscana? It looks like the leg goes with the banquette idea.

here's the table, extended

here's a closeup of the finish and leg detail. I'm not sure how the chestnut finish would go with the kitchen walnut but perhaps some of the color/finish wizards could weigh in.

and with the money saved over the new Frances table, you could buy (ok buy half) of the matching bench

hth

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I just want you to come and antique and distress everything I own. And I've a million linear feat of cabinetry.

I also love reading your posts because I get to look at the gorgeous inspiration pictures every time. The make my shoulders relax and I smile, they're so light and airy.

Can't wait for more.
    Are you going to use your bird fabric for the banquette seat cushion? Or some color taken out of that?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mtnfever- thanks! Do you think that look goes better with my kitchen/DR than the Tarvine? I know the Tarvine is more fancy but think it could work anyway. I do like the simplicity of the Toscana. I wish I could see the top of it better. The Pottery Barn Frances has a plank look and looks like crumbs would get stuck in between.

Also, what are all of your thoughts on doing a bench like mtnfever shows above? Actually I like the idea. I know some don't like them for getting in and out and agree that on the other side of the table the banquette bench will be a little more an issue for that. However, for this type of bench people usually just "lift a leg" and get out with out sliding down. Of course, I guess you lose the comfortability of having a chair with a back on it.. Then again, Not too often do people lean back on them during eating.... I guess more during before and after dinner conversation.

A plus is that they are sometimes less $ than getting separate chairs.

Christine, My fabric is not great, I think, for the banquette seat b/c it's a light fabric (in color and weight)... however maybe for some pillows. For The window seat in the same room I may use the bird fabric for the seat or again for some pillows. Maybe I could use it for a table runner : )

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I'll need an OVAL table now! I'll redirect you to a more recent thread for comments. Thanks everyone!
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0821505312629.html

Here is a link that might be useful: New banquette thread