SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21164925

Whats For Dinner - #303

User
14 years ago

I baked a Texas Sheet Cake this week. It is really just a simple, moist and delicious chocolate cake. Calls for pecans in the frosting. But that didn't appeal to me so I left them out and I'm glad I did. Perfect without the nuts.

Moe's breakfast Saturday morning was steak and eggs. I had presalted a beautiful thick Rib Eye earlier in the week and needed to cook it. Grilled and served with farm fresh eggs and homemade toasted baguette.

Comments (100)

• pat_t
    14 years ago

I don't often post to this thread, but today I will. Tonight I made meatball hoagies. Made my own meatballs (as opposed to using prepared frozen meatballs) - bought fresh hoagie rolls from Publix deli, Provolone cheese, and Parmesan cheese. POOFed some spaghetti sauce and heated the meatballs in the sauce for about 20 minutes. They were a HIT! My daughter, Erin (who is 9) thought they were the best thing she'd ever had. She's seen them at Subway, but never tried them. Now she's hooked.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Stacy, don't you just hate days like that?

Shaun, I like the idea of your Hungarian Pork Chops. I have pork chops in the freezer. Maybe later this week.

Sissy, great looking pizzas. And wonderful pictures.

Earlier this week I made a crustless quiche. Moe had it for breakfast and I took some for lunch.

One night we had a fresh ham/roast leg of pork for dinner. Served with the most wonderful rich flavoured gravy over mashed potatoes with baked squash and buttered peas on the side.

Matthew and Dana came up Island Tuesday night for dinner. Matt requested something grilled so we had rib eye steaks with Parisienne Potatoes.

I baked a batch of my favourite brownies.

Took my Decadent brownies and made them more so by serving them warm topped with vanilla ice cream and swimming in homemade caramel sauce. (Forgot to take a picture).

• Related Discussions

Fabric Protection 303 and DCS19 Products

Q

Comments (2)
    I have used 303 on boat canvas - specifically Sunbrella - a mainsail sailcover that is exposed 100% of the time to the elements. Yes, it restored the water resistant properties of the Sunbrella and probably helped w/ the UV. Rain did bead up again & not soak thru. What exactly do you want to know about it? I will try to answer in my limited experience with the 303.
    ...See More

The time is 3:03!!!!

Q

Comments (14)
    I remember those days! I think I aged 10 yrs in the month of getting our temporary occupancy permit so we could move in (and use the kitchen!), and then all the hoops to jump through for getting the permanent one in order to get the finances dealt with. It was the health dept, who kept kicking our request out of the system in error that made us wait twice for that final inspection, once over a 3-day weekend. I feel for you. Hang in there. Once you're in, the memory of the aggravation fades.
    ...See More

Reznor xl30-3 garage gas heater

Q

Comments (4)
    What is the temp inside your garage when you turn on the heat ? If it's below zero and your fan is running too fast you could be freezing your heat exchanger. Your fan switch will think it's cool enough and shut down. seen this many times. If your fan limits are adjustable you will have to change them.
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #387

Q

Comments (102)
    Shambo, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. I know he had some health issues and you were cooking low salt and healthy meals for him. I'm sending hugs and strong thoughts and prayers to your and your family. Jack, we are kindred spirits, I swear. When I make twice baked potatoes I'll make a whole sheet pan full of them, mine usually just has cheese, butter and sour cream, occasionally I'll add bacon. I freeze them and then package them usually two per package, Mother loves them and they're easy to heat up. Of course someone is always digging through my freezer to see if I have any, all of the grandkids and the kids love them and they make a fast and easy supper. Jasdip, as you know, I love potatoes in just about any form, so being able to grab a package quickly is a luxury. They are quite durable too, LOL. Neely, I have a pile of butternut squash in storage, if only I had a pile of prawns too! sleevendog, that looks pretty to me! Delicious too. No pictures here, today we had hamburgers! Tomorrow we're making sandwiches and having cake and ice cream for Madison's 9th birthday. No party this year, of course, but we bought her a hoverboard, so she'll be happy, even with just her folks and Elery and I. I baked a strawberry cake too, with sea turtles on top, her choice. I'll try to remember to take pictures, and hopefully she won't break an arm or a leg, riding the thing around the kitchen island or something... Annie
    ...See More
  • caboodle
    14 years ago

Oh, my! Everyone's meals look so good. Tonight we're having PatT's North Carolina pork bbq which is one of my new favorite meat dishes (I'm not a huge meat eater, but I LOVE this) along with roasted parsnips and carrots in a horseradish butter, and then scalloped onions and potatoes in a cream/butterilk sauce. Also, blackberry dumplings.

Last night we had bass and blue gill (deep-fried and from the freezer) along with french fries, cornbread, spinach/lettuce salad. Yeah, no hushpuppies because I wanted to use the cornbread leftover from a previous ham and bean meal.

It's almost fishing time again and I need to get last year's fish out of the freezer. Blackberries, too. That's why we're having blackberry dumplings tonight.

The night before last, we had fried egg sandwiches and a veggie tray with a buttermilk/mayo dip.

Judi

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Renee, I have a love/hate relationship with Indian food, I think. Some I love, some I really don't, but there doesn't seem to be any in the middle, LOL, the last dish I tried was the mango dal, which I liked a LOT. I agree, though, you definitely need naan.

Ann, those brownies look decadent already, ice cream and sauce is just gilding the lily!

Pat. my girls would agree with Erin, they love meatballs, in or out of sub buns!

Judi, I had an egg for supper tonight, but I would have rather had your fish.

Lori's granola made me realize how long it's been since I made granola, so I dug out Kathy's (gardengirl) recipe and made the maple granola, with walnuts, almonds, raisins and dried Michigan cherries. I like it with granola and honey, I like it as a topping for a berry crisp and I like it as a snack, which is how I'm eating it right now.

last night we had corned beef, sauteed cabbage and mashed potatoes, Ashley's request. It was good, but about two weeks early for St. Pat's. She said it was a trial run, LOL.

Tonight it was an egg that I just got from the farm tonight, with some home fried potatoes.

Tomorrow? Who knows...

Annie

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Bean yes that Patak's (sorry for typo) is the same as you buy over there because I've seen the same labels in Canada and online. The Korma sauce was a little too mild for me, but it was good and Wolf liked it a lot. But one of my girlfriends has just announced a new Indian restaurant has opened so I see a ladies' night dinner out coming up. Will skip diet for one day.

Everyone's dinners look and sound so good!
    I do miss something sweet and would love one of Ann's brownies but I'm determined to get the scales down those last few pounds as I'm nearly there.

Tuesday we had chicken breasts with roasted Parmesan asparagus and since Wolf wanted a gravy I chopped red peppers, mushrooms, onion, celery and garlic and sauteed them in the chicken juices, adding a bit of gravy thickener and chicken stock. His was with carrots and potatoes, mine was not.

Yesterday we were out for a special of the day Sole Meunière.
    Wolf had his with the Meunière brown butter sauce and potatoes, I had mine without and with a salad. It was great!

Wolf's Sole looked perfect

Above pics: Two chicken dinners and my sole not Meuniere with salad including white asparagus, avocado, olives and ripe tomato.

Years ago I needed lessons from Wolf on how to handle eating a sole gracefully when presented on the table as in the above photos. LOL. Although born and raised in a fishing town I had never learned how to eat fish that wasn't already filleted or taken out of a can (!)(eg tuna). He was raised in Europe where people were taught in childhood how to dissect and eat spiny fish with skillful manipulation of knife and fork, removing the central spine after cleaning off the upper part and deftly lifting it up and away to a waiting side plate. He used to laugh when he saw my early awkward attempts at eating sole. (I tried to cut it like a steak.) But over the years and with his kind prompting, I've developed a certain level of accomplishment and thank heavens have learned how to take it apart now without making too much mess on my plate. :-)

SharonCb

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

Dinner last night was POOFed: a different version of fried rice - one small pork chop cubed (marinated in soy sauce, garlic, and ginger), onion, peppers, cabbage, peas, rice, and soy sauce. The difference was I had more veggies and less rice than my usual fried rice just because I had less than a cup of leftover Jasmine rice. I probably had close to 2 cups veggies so the end result was very different looking than the usual fried rice. But I like this version a lot! I'll be doing this again to get more veggies in my meal!

Teresa

• shambo
    14 years ago

Sharon CB, before I forget I want to thank you for an inspiration last night. I've always admired your vegetable medleys. Last week I bought some leeks because yours always look so good. Of course, I forgot all about them. Then last night as I was rummaging through our vegetable drawer in the fridge, I discovered them. I wasn't sure what to do with them but knew I had to do something. So I cleaned them, cut them in halves and braised them on the stove in some leftover chicken broth. I used quite a bit of the green part too. When most of the liquid had been absorbed and the leeks were tender, I added a couple of tablespoons of heavy cream and let them cook a few minutes longer.

They turned out wonderfully. My husband was skeptical at first, but once he tasted them, he liked them too. That's a big deal because he's on a low sodium diet and I used no-salt-added chicken broth for the braising liquid. I was tempted but didn't even add a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. Still they tasted really good.

So thanks for the inspiration.

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Thank you Shambo. We love leeks at any time and with anything and what you did really sounds delicious. I also use all the green part, just chopping the leaves finely and then steaming or adding them to a soup or stew. Braising is a good idea and then with cream mmmm.

And Teresa that sounds like one of my favourite meals....vegetables over rice with a chopped meat in a teriyaki type sauce. It's a good way to use up a few mixed vegetables too.

Today I went downtown and picked up a butternut squash at an open street market. I chopped off the end and put it in the toaster oven for 40 minutes while making beef patties, spinach and for Wolf some fried up leftover potatoes and carrots. We used the last of Tuesday's mushroom and veg gravy. But I had to take a picture of the butternut as
    it was such a lovely shape and colour. It seemed a shame to cut it open lol. There were ripe tomatoes as well as some more unusual fruits and vegetables at the market.

SharonCb

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

DH is home for the weekend, and was "starving" when he got in late this afternoon. After Lars' pizza thread, I was jonsing for one, but he was in the mood for curry or noodles. We have a little restaurant that does a quasi-Pan Asian thing. Not super authentic, but in the past has been pretty good. Unfortunately, the prices went up and the quality went down. I could have done better myself with Taste of Thai or Thai Kitchen products. Coconut ginger soup tasted like cream of chicken to me. Green curry chicken was really bland. I finally begged some chopped cilantro and a piece of lime to squeeze into it, which helped immensely. It had no flavor as it was. Vegetable rolls were mostly carrots and lettuce -- no mint, cilantro or sprouts. Presentation was lovely, but the food was dsappointing, especially since we go out to eat only a couple times a year.

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

BTDT, that IS disappointing when something LOOKS so good..

Sharon, that is a perfect butternut, we won't get local ones till Sept here.. All your meals look so good..even left overs..

Ann, all 4 of your dishes look delicious! Hard to pick one..

Annie, your granola with the Michigan cherries must be good. I bought myself a cherry pitter. I don't know why but I was in WSonoma outlet and they were 25% off, so I bought myself a present. You probably don't use one!

I made crab cakes for meatless Friday..

On a cute crab plate..

Great tartar sauce recipe from Wives with Knives..

Here is a link that might be useful: Tartar Sauce

• annie1992
    14 years ago

SharonCB, what beautiful produce, from the butternut to the strawberries. It'll be a couple of months here before strawberries in June, yum.

BTDT, sorry about that meal, I hate it when that happens. Sigh. Especially when the restaurant was good before...

Shambo, that salt thing is hard, isn't it? I think I don't use that much salt, but it turns out that I do!

Kathleen, I use a cherry pitter when I want the cherries to stay whole, but mine is just a little plastic thing with a plunger and soon my thumb wears out, LOL, I think a straw or a hairpin works as well as that! One day I'll just buy one of those fancy cherry pitters that you dump the stuff in the top and it spits the pitted cherries out the bottom. Yup, I will, and then I plant more cherry trees although the birds get more of mine than I do!

Actually, I was told that if I bought those white sweet cherries the birds don't eat them, I don't know if that's true or not...

I took my camera to mother's and left it there accidentally, so no pictures this week. Elery and I had venison meatloaf with roasted fingerling potatoes and broccoli, then we had burritos Saturday night and I had beef barley soup tonight.

We'll see what this week brings...

Annie

• Terri_PacNW
    14 years ago

Kathleen, can you post your crab cake recipe? Please..

I have crab in the freezer and picked up panko today.

Dinner tonight, smothered chops over jasmine rice with I'm not sure yet veg...

Last night was Brats and Dogs with baked potato salad and sugar beans.

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

What I cooked today was NOT what I planned. I've been in a very "roots" mood (my Anglo-Saxon side), ever since I watched the movie, "I Know Where I'm Going" on Nextflix. If you have never seen it, and you like movies with great scenery, you should check it out. It is also very fun and very romantic. It's a British film made just after the war in the 1940's and is about a woman on her way to meet up with her fiance who is a very wealthy industrialist who has rented a castle on an island in the Hebrides for their wedding. Well, the foreces of nature conspire against her and she gets stranded on one of the larger islands waiting for the sea to calm so she can catch the boat. The cinematography was out of this world, full of local color and charm, as is the plot. Really made me want to travel to that part of the world, although previously I had thought of it as cold and bleak, which I'm sure it is a lot of the time.

Anyway, for dinner I had braised cabbage (with apples and onions) a poached egg, fake sausage patties and oat scones. The scones were yum. But frankly, even though I understand why someone would like it, I just don't like braised cabbage. What I made was good by braised cabbage standards but it is just not worth the trouble for me. And I must say that frankly I do not like the cuisine of my forbears, I just can't get into it. I am hooked on Mediterannean cooking. With the possible exception of tarts, scones and tea.

• pat_t
    14 years ago

Judi - I'd LOVE to have some of those blackberry dumplings! So glad to hear you like my BBQ - it makes a ton, doesn't it?

Strawberries are just beginning to come in from Plant City, FL. Publix has them on sale right now, 3 qts. for $5. Not too bad, but they will be much cheaper very soon. And that's when I'll stock the freezer with them.

Sharon - it is amazing thing to eat fish properly, isn't it?

Today we had Eileen's Ropa Vieja - my two nieces came over and ate with us. It was wonderful! I served it over white rice with a garden salad and garlic breadsticks. A really good, hearty meal. Thanks again, Eileen!

• dixiedog_2007
    14 years ago

So many good looking things!

We are told this is not the time for "dieting" for husband with upcoming surgery so it's lots of iron in the diet - that's what they want. Lot's of red meat on the menu - doctor's orders to "fire up the grill". We have no problem with that but the wind doesn't want to cooperate. We had some great Ribeyes on the grill along with potatoes and salad. I made a big pot of chili and we've had some ham with asparagus and potatoes. Today we went out with friends for brunch and had a variety of things and were too stuffed to have any dinner. I know I need to pull out the camera and started snapping:)

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Oh, I forgot to add two things.
    1. Ann T why do you not weigh 200 lbs lol! What's your secret?
    2. Judi you had one of my all time favorite desserts, blackberry dumplings. Single me hardly ever gets to make them. I might have to have a party just to have an excuse to make them. It's not that I couldn't make them, but they are really best warm and fresh, and I would end up with tons of leftovers as usual. For example, I just finished the last bowl of the soup I made TWO weekends ago. Revenge of the minestrone. It was great but I'm so glad that culinary theme is over! And I'm fighting a battle with mold on my banana muffins. It's no fun cooking for one.

• caboodle
    14 years ago

Pat, I really like the bbq a lot, and I'm happy it makes so much. I froze some and I sent some home with my mom. I need to make Ropa Vieja someday; I've not had it before.

Kathleen, the crab cakes look delish! One of my favorite things.

LPink, I am not much of a dessert eater so I only just tasted the blackberry dumplings and, yes, those are one of those things that are better fresh. Chris had a second serving another day and then the birds got the leftovers.

We had some friends over to play pool Saturday night and I fixed dinner for us. We had flat-irons cooked on the grill; I fried some shrimp in a panko breading,; we had a colorful salad with a vinaigrette and then a creamy cucumber salad with dill, and these HUGE potatoes that I slow baked. I also made garlicky, parmesan Italian bread (like we needed it).

I served cocktail sauce with the shrimp for those who wanted it and bleu cheese butter (for the steak and/or potatoes), along with regular butter and sour cream. Eater's choice! My favorites were the bleu cheese butter (I had a little steak and potato with it - ha), and the cuke salad.

We were eating light today. Made some potato and corn chowder and ate a little salad.

Judi

• Solsthumper
    14 years ago

Ann, Texas Sheet Cake was the first American cake baked for my birthday, by my best friend's mom. Your cake brought back many sweet memories.

Annie, if it weren't for chocolate... and bacon, Falafel would be at the top of my list of favorite foods.

And thanks to Sharon and Shaun's beautiful salads and healthier fare for keeping me grounded.
    Kathleen, you brought my good intentions to an abrupt end with your crab cakes.

Thinking of you, Luigi. Un abbraccio.

Finally catching a glimpse of Spring here, and I couldn't be happier. My dinners lately reflect the anticipation of warmer weather. Salads, soups, enjoyed hot or cold, and fruits for dessert.
    And there won't be any pictures of salads, because they would never look as good as Sharon's. Not to mention, Sam has taken over my computer, and my camera while she's home.
    Only thing I have a picture of this week,

Kabocha Soup.

Sol

• jimster
    14 years ago

Wow! Those are outstanding photos, Sol. Delicious soup too I'll bet. I need to try Kabocha. Butternut is great, but I've started to expand my squash horizons.

Jim

• caliloo
    14 years ago

I'm here looking for the Crab Cake recipe too- they look amazing.

It was so warm over the weekend, I grilled a mess of chicken breasts (Soy Vey) to use in various quick dinners. Last night was Grilled Chicken Breast with Thai Peanut Dressing over pasta and mixed veg. Tonight is Grilled Chicken sliced with Rice, Steamed Asparagus and raw veggies with dip.

Happy eating all!

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Somehow dinner didn't really happen last night. We just sort of noshed our way around the ktichen. (Trader Joe gyoza, anyone?)

Tonight i have a pork roast marinading in beer and spices. I'm roasting that and having sauteed kale and roasted squash alongside.

Sol, I love those bowls. What a beautiful picture!

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Sol, as always, that soup looks delicious and the squash makes me wish for fall.

I'm also waiting for that crabcake recipe, Kathleen!

Like Beanthere, supper didn't really happen last night, it just became grilled cheese on homemade wheat bread. Ashley got a job offer working weekends at a local restaurant just a couple of miles from her Dad's house, so that'll help get her through her last four months of internship, thank goodness.

Tonight she wants steak on the grill and baked potatoes.

Annie

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Lovely squash soup and pics Sol. That's one I haven't heard of. But then here they are all called by the same name "calabaza" with no distinguishing variety name added lol.
    I'm still working on that large butternut I bought the other day.

Kathleen those crab cakes look delicious!

I had to make lentil soup this week....dietman's orders... but as we love lentils it was a treat, made with stir-fried vegetables and a couple slices of smokey bacon strips cooked and drained. Still some left for tomorrow evening.

Grey day here today but the air is mild and I have two racks of clothes outside drying.

Ladies' night dinner this coming Saturday with five of us trying out a new Indian restaurant downtown. :-)

SharonCb

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

MMMMM...there's no wonder I can't keep any weight off. Just reading this thread makes my pants feel tight! LOL

Last night I made Fettuccini Prima Vera with Garlic Sauce. Got the recipe from the newspaper back in the 80's and haven't made it in at least a decade! I took a picture, but I am too tired or too lazy to download it.

Seems my chakras or juju or mojo is seriously out of alignment lately. Bizarre things happening in my world.

Tonight I pulled some Hearty Harvest Soup out of the freezer, along with some Italian bread, made a nice green salad to go with it and I felt like we had a healthy dinner for a change!

Linda

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

Sharon, you are so disciplined! I need lessons in that too, and photography..

Sol, I have never had that squash..I will look for it, have to wrie it down! You know I love those bowls!!

Thank you on the crab cakes. It is Cathy's recipe and she is doing a post on it, so I have to wait till she posts it..I will tell you this, there is NO Old Bay in it!
    As soon as she posts it I will link you to it..

I made Popovers the other day...hadn't made them in a long time. Made them in one of those indiv size molten lava pans...

With some butter and blueberry preserves from Trader Joe's..

• Solsthumper
    14 years ago

Thank you everyone! It is still winter here, so it's still soup weather. But, it looks like that's all going to change by this weekend. And it's about time.

Jimster, I like Kabocha. The flesh has a mild chestnut flavor, and roasting this Japanese squash seems to bring out its wonderful flavor.

Truth is, I roast it because I have the patience of a caffeinated Chihuahua, so instead of peeling it, I just cut it in half, and roast it, cut sides down.
    But steaming it would be just as delicious.

Sol

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Kathleen, I meant to post on your blog, but will say it here: I love those pretty little fillegree-edged plates.

Sol, you are too funny! And may I ask for your recipe for chocolate meringues when you have a moment? I finally live where it's dry enough that I stand a chance at them coming out well.

DH wanted pasta for dinner, so we had spaghetti with mushroom sauce, a green salad, and a nice BV wine he picked up at the grocery. First wine we've had in 6-8 months, and I think we've become lightweights. Used to be we would finish off a bottle over the course of preparing dinner, eating it and sitting, talking afterwards. Now I must get used to the concept of "leftover" wine. Ah well, I plan to make soup tomorrow and will use it then.

BTW, Trader Joe's was sampling out bread yesterday. A package has a small baguette of sourdough and one of a three-seed sourdough. We had the plain last night with dinner. Ten minutes in a 400 oven made it very nice and crusty. I'll bake off the three seed to go with soup. If you don't have the time or desire to bake your own, it's a easy, fast, good option, and I like that there are two different loaves to a package.

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Kathleen, Is your popover recipe on your blog? They are beautiful. Since I had popovers this fall at The Jordan Pond House Restaurant in Acadia National Park, I have been on a mission to make them. I have the pan and I looking for a great recipe.

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

Cathy, yes, I linked to the recipe..which is Ina's.
    Marigene gave me one with bleu cheese or gorgonzola I want to try..They sound good.

BT, the plates are from Christmas Tree Shops..a chain owned by Bed Bath and Beyond. Mostly east coast, but branching out rapidly. Fun place to find little goodies..:)

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Kathleen your popovers do look good, especially with blueberry jam. And your photos are just fine!

Yesterday I made salmon poached in the microwave because both shelves of my toaster over were occupied with baked BBQ potato wedges (from supermarket) and Parmesan asparagus. The salmon was very good and I may stay with doing it that way as it was so fast.

We had a salad each, his with creamy dressing and hers with vinaigrette.:-)

I'm allowed now to have one "free food" day per week which will include a glass of wine and some potato, so I chose yesterday. And on other days, meals will be one protein of meat, poultry or fish with many mixed veg, all 50 and under in glycemic value, something which I've already been doing but with limits on salad items. I do have a good recipe for Parmesan BBQ baked potato wedges but I was late getting home yesterday so bought them frozen.
    Great to be finally reaching this point after losing 50 lbs and with only another 5 to go.

SharonCb

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Congratulations, Sharon, on that 50 pound weight loss, my word, there can't be much of you left!

Kathleen, those little plates are pretty, and I'll have to get past my mental block. I'd never even go into a shop that was called "Christmas Tree" anything. Here in Michigan we have a big place called "Bronner's", it's acres and acres of Christmas stuff and looks like a dozen elves had a nervous breakdown with tinsel. Every time I see something that includes "Christmas", I have nightmare flashbacks to Bronners, LOL. So, if I see a "christmas tree shop", I'll take a deep breath, and walk in. (grin)

Ok, I'll admit it, I actually want the popover, not the plate!

So, what's for dinner? Ashley and I had steak night before last and there was some leftover, so Cooper, the Deat Cat and I shared leftover porterhouse and some broccoli. DC wouldn't eat the broccoli, so Cooper ate her share, he'll eat anything, I swear.

Ashley had her first night on her new part time job, a bartender/server at a local restaurant and bar. She's still doing 8 hours a day at the hospital for her internship until July, and driving 3 hours a day, so if she gets 20 hours or so a week here, she's going to be busy AND tired! Anyway, she wasn't here for supper...

Annie

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Annie it sounds like Ashley is working very long hours and then having to drive 3 hours per day OMG. Poor girl she must be worn out. I wanted to ask what she is studying with her hospital internship....is she in nursing? (I'm sure you've told us but I forgot.....maybe it was radiology?)

Yesterday I bought turkey breast tenderloins for today's dinner and sliced and breaded them with oat bran and spices. Served with two types of baked squash, steamed potatoes, cauliflower, leek tops and cranberry sauce. Wolf's with potatoes, mine without.

Still looking at those popovers Kathleen....making me really hungry!

SharonCb

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Sharon, she's in a radiography/radiology program, learning x-ray etc. She's working 40 hours per week at no pay, while I'm paying tuition and paying for her to drive back and forth. She wants a little more spending money than I can give her, since I'm also paying her car payment, phone bill, car insurance, etc. So, she decided she could work part time for the next four months until she's done with the internship and takes her boards...

Annie

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Great looking meals, everyone! I am too worn out to comment individually.

Tried a new recipe tonight from Southern Living...Pecan Crusted Tilapia with Golden Rum Butter Sauce. Skip it if it's in your to try file.

Good thing I made lots of sides: roasted baby red potatoes, buttered peas and roasted asparagus. The fish was edible, but not delicious and not worth trying again even if I tweaked it.

We'll see what tomorrow night brings! LOL

Linda

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    14 years ago

Did somoene say chocolate meringues?! That sounds good.

• lsr2002
    14 years ago

We had ravioli with Chase's tomato sauce (the under filled jar that I sought help in deciding if it was safe to eat). Not only was it determined to be safe to eat by the wonderful canning experts here, but it was delicious. Max already has plans to expand his garden this year so we'll have more refrigerator dills and more tomato sauce next fall.

We had ravioli with the sauce along with roasted asparagus dressed lightly with butter, vinegar and soy and a romaine and Mandarin orange salad.

No leftovers for my lunch but I do have hamburger soup, the version posted by Pat on the recent thread, for dinner tonight when I am solo. BTW, we liked that recipe a lot: I chose it from the many delicious sounding ones that were posted because it had cabbage and I had half a head languishing in my veggie drawer.

Lee

• Solsthumper
    14 years ago

Sharon, I'm impressed! Losing fifty pounds is quite an accomplishment. But where did you keep it hidden? You never appeared overweight in any of your pictures.

Renée, it's funny, but I went up and down this page, several times, trying to find any mention of chocolate meringues. And then (flat thud), it hit me, our first CF swap.

The memories are now beginning to trickle back into my shriveled-up brain.
    I'll be glad to look up the recipe, and get back to you and Rob.

Dinner is still up in the air, but one thing is for certain, I won't be cooking it!

Enjoy your weekend.

Sol

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

I would love to make Chase's tomato sauce but we don't get canning items such as jars, lids and the big pots here. I guess people are just happy that we have fresh tomatoes all year long and never request canning items in the big shops. But one day I will make that salsa, even if I have to do it at my daughter's house in Canada when I'm over on a visit.
    Glad to hear yours was good Lee.

Today I'm doing a 'free non-diet day' and as I had a craving for filled crepes, I bought a pkg of whole wheat flour, made a dozen crepes and filled them with a mixture of steamed cabbage, ham and chopped bacon together with a Gorgonzola sauce I made. There are still a few left over so we'll be looking forward to having them for evening suppers in the next couple of days. I bought a German smoked Kassler pork chop for Wolf.

Are you really going on daylight saving over there? We won't be doing that here until March 28.

Have a good weekend everyone!

SharonCb

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Sol, Sorry about that! I should have put it in context. :)
    Sharon, Yes, we are. And I wish they'd just leave the ____ time alone!

DH went back on the road Thursday morning, and even though we got a grocery run in while he was here, I haven't cooked anything. Friday I had leftover spaghetti and a salad. Last night I made a sandwich from the leftover pork roast from earlier in the week. Tonight, I'm going to have roasted asparagus and a simple omelet.

• pat_t
    14 years ago

Lee - glad you enjoyed the soup. I can't take credit for it - it's my 87-year-old Mom's recipe.

• caliloo
    14 years ago

After requesting the suggestions for side dishes for Chicken marsala, I totally changed my mind. I kept thinking back on Eileens "bacon potatoes" on the St Pats Day thread and musing on how I could make that work. I kept thinking on it and came up with my version of an updated Irish-inspired Dinner.... I will try to get photos, but no promises.

Chicken with a Leek and Dijon sauce (reminiscent of Cock-a-Leekie but not a stew/soup, just sauteed boneless skinless chicken breasts with a pan sauce)

Bacon Potatoes (sort of a take off on Bubble & Squeak) - I rendered a bit of bacon, tossed in a chopped onion and when it started ot go translucent, put in a couple of cubed potatoes and lots of fresly ground pepper.

Fried Cabbage (for me, not sure anyone else will eat it)

Steamed Broccoli

Well, maybe it is only "Irish" in my mind.... but I bet the guys won't comp;lain either.

Alexa

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Okay - here is the pic. And I can honestly say (maybe it is just because I was in the mood for this EXACT meal tonight) it may be the best meal I have eaten so far in 2010. The sauce came together just the way I imagined it tasting, the cabbage and broccoli sides did not compete flavor wise and the bacon potatoes were a fantastic starch to round out the entire meal. Please do not tell my cardiologist about this one though.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Eileen's St Paddys Day thread....

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Alexa that looks sooo good! I love the taste of bacon together with vegetables.

The other night I was out for an Indian dinner trying out a new little restaurant with four girlfriends. Food was great and we had the cook come to the table so we could tell him exactly what we wanted. I had a bowl of shrimp in curry sauce....more than I could finish! With rice, chapati, Naan and drinks it was under $15 each.
    Here's a pic of one girl's Chicken Korma.

Yesterday I made roasted chicken wing drumettes coated in paprika, parsley and oat bran with assorted veg.
    Also cooked half a hen with celery, onion, carrot to make a big pot of chicken broth.
    So today we had chicken and veg soup and a couple of leftover wings each.

SharonCb

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Sharon those crepes look delicious, and so do Alexa's bacon potatoes, I have to go find that recipe since we just made 25 pounds of bacon!

I finally got my camera back, and so I have pictures.

Elery and I smoked bacon, so we had the perfect breakfast. It was maple cured and applewood smoked bacon with fresh eggs from the farm and homemade honey wheat toast:

Chrystal made some of Julia Child's liver pate and sent some home with me, so we had it with crackers:

I made three loaves of that honey wheat bread and Cooper and I had some hot with butter:

I made venison meatloaf with the glaze that Nancy (wizardnm) uses, the girls love it:

Finally, tonight we had the last package of locally caught salmon on the grill, with some of the pink half runner beans that we grew and canned last summer, and a side dish of quinoa with raisins and almonds, a knock-off of an Ellie Krieger recipe. It was all good...

Tonight I made a rhubarb pie for my secretary's birthday, using the Never Fail Pastry recipe from SharonCB. It's so easy to handle, I roll it out right after I mix it, I don't even chill it and it comes out perfectly every time, without a tear:

{{gwi:1493213}}

Perfectly browned and flakey, it'll go to the office tomorrow:

Annie

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Annie I admire you and Elery for producing all that smoked bacon. I bet it tastes wonderful! And I agree that pie crust is the best I've ever used.

Had a busy morning walking two hours down in the town getting things done and it was way after 2 pm when I got home so we decided to go out for lunch. One of our favourite places was closed for staff day off so we tried out a new place next door that had converted from being a tapas bar to a restaurant run by an experienced restaurant owner. We'd heard it was good! After checking out their blackboard menu we both chose their "Lamb Burgers with rice and tomato sauce", and I ordered a glass of wine along with water while Wolf had beer.

The food was absolutely delicious! We each had four little tender patties of lamb with a well made tomato marinara sauce and rice. I was so glad that it was one of those rare especially good restaurant meals because I had pounded the pavement for so long in the morning walking and was so tired I just wanted someone to feed me a nice meal! :-)
    The espresso coffees after were good too. We will go back there again. It was a find!

SharonCb

• wizardnm
    14 years ago

Hi All! I had to do a search to find this thread.

I know I'm guilty of not posting my dinners over the last few months, hope it's OK if I just jump right in.
    I have been cooking but I've been real lazy about grabbing the camera and taking a picture. I swear I'm going to turn over a new leaf!

Last night we had something that I make when I can find chorizo. That's not too often but there is a new meat market in a nearby town and I was there on Saturday. They had the fresh chorizo, so I bought some to try.

I made a recipe that that Karigraphy posted a few years ago, called Shrimp,Chorizo and Peas in Saffron Sauce.

Since this is St. Patrick's Day, I made a Boiled Dinner tonight.

I can hardly wait for the leftovers tomorrow!

Nancy

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Oh, Nancy, now I am wishing I would have picked up that expensive corned beef I told you about! LOL Your dinner looks wonderful!

Annie, that pie looks delish...don't tell me you have rhubarb already? I have that crust recipe saved, I'll have to try it.

As always, everyone's meals look like something I just gotta have a bite of! LOL

Went out with a girlfriend tonight, so no cooking for me. But tomorrow I will make my tuna steaks and report back on how we liked them.

Linda

• stacy3
    14 years ago

Nancy I made boiled dinner the night before last and planned to make hash or reubens last night but time got away from me so it was leftovers last night - still good! yours looks awesome!

I really want some of Annie's pie though!

• stacy3
    14 years ago

oops forgot - I'm grilling burgers tonight with that yummy summer orzo salad of Jo's love that stuff. thanks jo!

• stacy3
    14 years ago

man, can you tell it's morning??? I just had to comment on kathleen's popovers - they're beautiful - I never made them and always figured they were too difficult and you needed a popover pan...how did you do them?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!