SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyinmich

bedroom space heating

Nancy in Mich
18 years ago

Hi all,

DH's 89 yo dad moved in with us and he is always very cold. He saved us a bundle in air conditioning costs this summer, but the dogs sure were hot! ;-)

Well, now we are in heating season and we got our first electric bill. We are up 44% in electric costs for the last month. Now, it was a hot month, so some of that is cooling cost, but most is probably heating his room to sauna-like conditions. His joints hurt, especially in his hands, and he is in far less pain with his room toasty warm. He wears winter gloves out here in the rest of the house, but then has to take them off to eat, read the paper,etc. I do not begrudge him his toasty room, but would like to do it more logically. Wearing more covers won't work, he can barely lift a light poly-fill comforter, a cotton blanket is beyond him.

We are moving sometime in the next two months to a little larger house without steps (for Dad and Me). His room is 10 x 15 and has two outside walls. The house is brick, so putting in a stovepipe exhaust through the wall is probably not a great idea. Given his age, I expect that we'll need the room to have extra heat for 10 years or less, so want something that will be a fairly reversible installation. It also must be safe. He is thinking clearly now, but that may or may not last.

What would you do to super-heat his room? We are using one of those oil-filled electric radiators right now.

Comments (6)