SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Bedroom Curtains...Privacy/Heat Control

User
13 years ago

Okay, the crown molding is up & painted, the rods are hung, and the first installment of big grommet ceiling/floor panels is up. On the back rod, via rings w/clips, there is a temporary length of 90% shade cloth on the 2 windows facing west and on the street side. Need both privacy and heat control here.

On the north wall facing the property of our nosy neighbor, there is first installment of big grommet ceiling/floor panels also up. On the back rod, via rings w/clips, there is a temporary old shower curtain hanging which softly allows it to be pulled aside. No need for heat control here (cold control in the winter sometimes though), but privacy is an issue. However, this is where the topdown Roman shades will be placed. INSIDE the windows and NOT on the back curtain rod.

While I was shopping at BED BATH BEYOND the other day, I looked at some grommeted panels 59" wide but they had none in the store 108" long. But I discovered that their lined panels in the UNION SQUARE pattern and fabric, would be lovely with the $10/panel pairs I'd purchased almost a year ago from Tuesday Morning. Those panels were a suede cloth, not lined, floor/ceiling. They looked like the Pottery Barn panels which were on sale for $99/panel. TOO much. So I came home and ordered 4 panels of the UNION SQUARE patterns 108" long in white washable fabrics, grommets big and bronze like the first panels and also the double drapery rods, so I'm a happy camper. I also realized I coul buy their voile sheers same length for the back curtain rod, just one panel per window (4 panels in all). That way, to expose the window I can easily move the sheers aside to the unused rod beyond the windows themselves. Or I can leave them be and grab them back into the metal tiebacks on the outer edge of the window pairs.

Right now, I have the clip rings holding the shade cloth panels on the west wall. That is behind the headboard of our bed. They are very heavy and still and do not gather in folds well, but not a problem because I can slide them like shoji screens along the rod to expose the full windows during the day when I love to have morning light, and then return them to block the really hot afternoon heat. Being stiff, they will PROBABLY take to the construction of Roman shades mounted inside the window frame, close to the glass, to catch any heat. Also, I will line those shades with Thermosuede I bought from TerrellDesigns.com which will stop heat transmission as well as COLD transmission.

Let me upload a few photos I took to show the mechanics of the curtain setup. Don't want to overdo it, but you can see more at my Webshots album for CasaDelSol projects (not the gardening one).

1. North-facing windows, no privacy curtain up yet.

2.WEST-facing windows at night with shade cloth the only privacy covering. Note wood strip between windows.

3.West wall at twilight with both pairs of windows covered with temp privacy (shade cloth & shower curtain)

4.West wall showing stiff shade cloth panel pulled aside behind front rod grommeted curtain panels. Window is uncovered.

5.West wall, 90% shade cloth showing view from inside out to street. Not much discernable if you are outside. Taken in late afternoon.

6.Closet wall/door to hall wall, east side. DH replaced the old mirrored closet doors w/ JeldWen louvered bifolds. I painted them. Room dimensions better revealed in this shot, as 12x12 approximately. Bed is full size, will be changed SOON to a queen platform storage bed. Small house, you know.

7. ...and if I could find another lamp like this one, I'd use them both on the bedside tables! I love this heavy heavy object.

Just remember if you wish to see any more of the Alabama Cottage album, click on any one of the photos in this post, and you'll go to the album site.

The floor in this room is oak, and after we are done with all other building projects, we will remove all furniture and have the floor refinished au naturel. It is horrible now.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH