SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blogan_gw

underlayment seams rising under new vinyl floor

15 years ago

We just had a new vinyl floor installed, and within a couple weeks a ridge is rising along a seam of the underlayment. Can anyone tell me if it's really the installer's fault?

They put an underlayment of 1/4 inch plywood and covered the seams between boards with a kind of grout to smooth them over. The seams still show although not too glaringly over most of the floor.

But along one seam the vinyl is popping up more significantly. There is a ridge about 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide and maybe 1/16 of an inch high. If I press down on it, it seems I can flatten it, but it's a bit firm.

The installer says that it's because the room must be maintained at 72 degrees for 48 hrs after the installation. My wife and I don't believe they told us that at the time. In any case he says that the product then needs an environment of 65 degrees throughout the year or moisture will cause the plywood to do this. We feel this it's asking a lot in Oregon to keep the temperature that high all of the time.

He says that he can replace that area, but that it may well do it again. He says we could also wait for warmer weather to see if it goes down, but that it might still rise again come next winter.

Comment (1)