SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stevep2005

Should a new bed crack like dry kindling?

stevep2005
18 years ago

I want to know if IÂm off base here in my expectation of construction quality. I bought a new sleigh bed for my 2 year old daughter. The Full sleigh bed with two additional pieces cost about $2500 for JordanÂs Furniture in MA. On Saturday, with the bed a week old, I attempted to pull the bed a few inches away from the wall and the headboard (at the rail) shattered. With all honesty, I pulled from about a third of the way from the top of the headboard with only minimal force. Upon inspecting the shattered remains, it was obvious that the wood was quite dry.

To backtrack a bit, when the bed was delivered and set up, the delivery crew affixed a tag to the foot of the bed saying never attempt to move the bed without first completely disassembling the bed. There was no such warning on the showroom bed nor were we informed by the sales person. Now, IÂm a few months shy of 40 and have always found it necessary to move beds (of all shapes, sizes, quality, and age) and never once in my life damaged a bed.

I called JordanÂs and they basically said tough luck, and offered to sell me a new headboard at retail. They claim that sleigh beds can NEVER be moved and because I admit to trying to move it a few inches, I voided the warranty - period. Dry wood  doesnÂt matter. The red tag affixed on delivery apparently covers them as far as they are concerned.

Am I ignorant to the fragility of sleigh beds and does every other consumer know what I donÂt? Should I fight this or am I mistaken in my expectation of minimum quality and durability?

Thanks.

Comments (3)