SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zeut_gw

New home with neglected raised beds-what should I do?

zeut
18 years ago

Hello,

I'm new to SQ gardening. I moved into a rented house that has two 12' deep, 4X6 raised beds. They seem to be in a good location for sunlight, and have been growing a healthy garden of weeds, grass and blackberries for at least the last 2 years I've been here (not to mention serving as a neighborhood kitty box for strays). They near enough so that I can enjoy seeing them from my kitchen window.

I've read Mel's old and new editions, and am ready to consider growing something. I've NEVER gardened before.

So...how do I get the soil ready?

I'm thinking of covering the beds with blue plastic tarps now (what I have), to help dry the soil and kill some of the grass and weeds. Then I'm thinking of digging down 6 inches, romoving that soil, and covering the remaining 6 inches of soil with thick burlap bags from the local coffee roaster. Then I'll add 6 inches of Mel's mix. The soil looks prety good. Not too much clay, but LOTS of weeds. It seems like a waste of good top soil to remove it. Should I compost this disgarded soil, and maybe use it after the weed seeds are dead?

This part seems so overwhelming to me. Does this sound like a good plan? My last frost date is May 15th, and I plan to use seed and transplants from the farmer's market.

Here is a link that might be useful: Knitting on Company Time

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services