SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hostales

Its really hot and dry: Should we be potting our new buys?

hostaLes
11 years ago

A lot of you know I have been limited in how I have been able to tend my flock because of knee surgery. Never-the-less it did not prevent me from shopping, even from a wheel chair or using a shopping cart as a walker.

I have added almost a dozen new to me hostas this year. When I was able to return home and on my own I was faced with not only a major drought condition but weed overgrown hosta gardens. I now have them cleared and my watering under control, but had not fertilized.

I am thinking that I can best control sun, water and nutrition issues for my young, undeveloped hostas best in a cluster of containers in a known shade area - for the rest of this strange year. So I have just finished repotting all of this years aquisitions in larger containers with fresh potting mix. To this extent I have become a container hosta gardener for at least this year.

Considering this years unusual drought conditions, is anyone else taking my approach - even if it is temporary for this year? I really admire bkay, babka, moccasinlanding and others who HAVE to garden hostas in containers. They have beautiful hostas. But am I over-reacting?

Let me know how you feel, and pass along any pros and cons you feel exist.

Les

Comments (14)