SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laura1202

Should we buy the vacant lot next to ours? (cross post)

laura1202
16 years ago

Hi all--

I haven't been on this forum recently since we (FINALLY) sold our house in Feb after it was on the market for 6 mos in '06, taken off, spruced up and then relisted with a different agent in January. We did have a ratified contact in two weeks the second time, (with no price change from when we took it off the market, but we had already dropped the price ~11% during the previous listing) AND a 14 day close so things worked out OK in the end but what a ride!

Anyway, our new home was a semi-custom build in a rural (HOA) neighborhood of about 50 homes on 3-6 acre lots, ours is ~5.5. We love the quiet and privacy.

The neighborhood is almost 4 years old now but there are still homes being built, but not by our builder. The lot adjacent to ours which is one of our builder's lots never did sell, the fact that the house is sited below the road is probably why.

My hand I have always talked--well, kidded really about buying that lot (~4 acres) so that no one could build a house there (anyone who has been around GW for a while and remembers my story on this forum about our NFH knows why) but last week I decided to actually inquire about the possibility and was really surprised when the VP of Construction wrote back within the hour that they "would like very much to sell us the lot" and that they had authorized their real estate agent rep (who we know very well as he and his wife sold us our original lot AND he lives in the neighborhood just up the hill from us) "some time ago" to see if we were interested. I found that very curious as we have heard nothing from him (the neighbor/Realtor) regarding the vacant lot and wrote that back to the VP. He said if I did not hear from the agent by COB on Monday to let him know.

OK, enough with the background, does anyone have any advice for us? I really don't want to get my own Realtor for a transaction like this, although we would definitely have a RE attorney review the contract. I have been researching listing comps, and they seem to be running ~40K/acre which is a little less than what we paid in June of 05, which was the height of the building boom here in NoVA and a sellers market. The small drop in pricing (less than 10K an acre) doesn't seem to reflect the fact that times have definitely changed here and that we are in a true BUYER'S market now. (We sold our previous home in this current market so we get it.) Of course I am looking only at listing prices, not at sold comps.

I wouldn't have a huge issue with the builder's RE agent acting as a dual agent in this case (although if it was a home sale I would be opposed, we used our own agent when we bought our lot because we would be building on it) but I'm wondering if he will run the sold comps for us. I think he might if that means he doesn't have to split the commission....:)

It's kind of an unusual situation in that while we would *like to have the property, we don't "have to" have it. The builder on the other hand, wants to be out of the neighborhood and get the lot off their tax bill. We have no plans to build on the lot although we might look into structuring the contract to allow us to sell that lot separately at some point with the caveat that the HOA could approve the builder or something like that.

Has anyone ever done this? Any opinions/advice? I am going to cross post this on the Building a Home forum, as I'm not really sure where it fits.

P.S. Sorry for the length of the post and TIA for reading if you got this far!

Comments (16)