SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
disneyginger

Here fishy, fishy, fishy..

16 years ago

Now that Lent has begun, I do keep to the lenten dietary thing about no meat on Fridays.

Anyone have some great fish recipes and ideas? I usally end up buying Gorton's or grabbing the fish fry stuff at the church, or stumble on welsh rarebit or mac and cheese, and the totally boring tuna melts.

We love cod, halibut, salmon, rockfish. and sea bass probably best. We do like catfish, flounder, sole, and perch too. I have access to grouper and other fish too.

All I have ever done is a simple pan fry or bake with lemon. Big humpin' deal of not so good, so I would like to plan a few meals with something nice this year.

Comments (16)

• 16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well there's baked salmon with orange ginger sauce, sea food gumbo, salmon patties, fried oysters, oysters Rockafeller, shrimp curry, etouffee, scampi style, grilled as well as coconut crusted and deep fried.
    There's dried cod mixed up with mashed potatoes and fried, there's cod rolled in ground pistachios with hollendaise, there's ciopino ( without the sausage) and linguini with clam sauce...
    Just for starters.
    Linda C

• 16 years ago

Baked Salmon with Artichoke Hearts and Mushrooms

4 Salmon steaks or 1 large fillet
    6 tablespoons butter
    2-3 green onion, cut into 2" lengths
    1/2 lb. mushrooms
    2 6 oz. jars marinated artichoke hearts
    1/2 lemon
    1/3 cup white wine
    salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a skillet. Add whole mushrooms and the wine, cover and cook until the mushrooms are just tender. Stir in the green onions, salt and pepper to taste.

Place the salmon steaks (or fillet) into a baking dish and pour the mushroom mixture over the top. Drain the artichokes hearts and place them on top of the salmon. Bake at 325* uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until the salmon is cooked to desired doneness. This may also be wrapped in foil and barbequed.

A Crab Quiche would be nice...Some type of seafood or fish cakes. Or I have a Salmon Pie recipe if you'd like it.

• Related Discussions

Plant Thinning Here in FishyLand - Want Some?

Q

Comments (3)
    I have Stella de ore daylillies. Would like any aquarium plants. Will pay postage if you don't want to trade grammylady
    ...See More

a-fishy, a-fishy, a-fishy-fish...

Q

Comments (33)
    Oh, all is forgiven, flyleft. I was joshing anyway, although I'd gladly forgo that particular event if not having kids meant I could - not my idea of entertainment! *chuckle* The joys of fibrobrain and pain meds and too little sleep... I just glanced back at the bit above where I said I wished the mammo tech had just taken the relevant parts off to do their thing with them and the King Missile song "Detachable P&n!s" popped into my head, although it was playing in my head as "Detachable B**bies". (Had to look that up, for some reason I thought it was Primus. Not quite my taste in music but I used to work with some chefs who played really weird stuff in the kitchen during prep time. They introduced me to They Might Be Giants - we always played "Minimum Wage" from the "Flood" album just before we opened for the day, synching turning the door key to the whipcrack - so I forgave them a lot.)
    ...See More

2LittleFishies Yellow Kitchen Reveal- Part DEUX!!!

Q

Comments (163)
    I love this kitchen!! I love the character and the timelessness with so many of today's great features that we all want. I have been planning a kitchen remodel for what feels like 2 years now and my layout is very similar with the exception to the amount of space you have to the left of your double wall ovens. Thank you for all the detailed pictures as this validates a lot of my current layout choices, especially the corner of your sink wall / cooking wall where I've been back and forth 100 times and where your double ovens are located!!
    ...See More

Request for 2LittleFishies

Q

Comments (5)
    One approach to light rails I've seen in a kitchen lighting guide that makes a lot of sense is this: especially with directional lighting like LED (we're using LED strip lights), to point the light toward the back splash. This will ensure that lights are not shining in anyone's eyes from almost NO angle, and that you'll get even, glare-free indirect light that bathes the whole area. This will work best with a light-colored counter, back splash, and cabinet bottoms so they reflect the light rather than absorb it. Our counter is white, our back splash is a light gray glass tile, and our cabinet undersides are natural birch, so I'm optimistic for a nice even light. I can't vouch for it yet, this is all just theory. My kitchen is being installed right now, and the under-cabinet lighting will come last after all the cabinets and appliances are in, but it makes a lot of sense. We have full overlay slab doors (Danish modern esthetic) and almost no upper cabinets, but where there are uppers, our light rails are about 2" high and are integrated into the bottom of the cabinets (no visible light rail with the doors closed, opening the door reveals a partial face frame at the bottom, the bottom shelf of the upper cabinet sits 2" higher than a plain box). I'll try to remember to report back in a couple of weeks when I get it installed.
    ...See More
  • 16 years ago

Fish Fillet with Horseradish Potato Crust

2 small boiling potatoes, boiled until tender, chill & peel
    salt and pepper
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon melted butter
    2 teaspoons prepared horseradish (more if you'd like)
    4 fish fillets (salmon, halibut etc)

Heat oven to 400*. Grate potato on grater, do not press to hard as you want shavings. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder, toss in melted butter.

Spread horseradish onto each fillet and season with a bit more salt and pepper. Gently pat the potato topping on the surface of each fillet, pressing lightly so it sticks.

Bake the fish for about 15-18 minutes. To crisp the potato, broil for last few minutes.

Spanish Halibut

2 halibut fillets
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    salt and pepper
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1/4 cup green olives pitted and sliced thinly

Melt the butter and oil in a small frying pan. Stir in the paprika until melded with butter, add the olives. Season fillets with salt and pepper, put into a small baking dish and top with the olive mixture.

Bake in preheated 400* oven for 12-15 minutes or until the halibut is just tender. Do not over cook.

• 16 years ago

Deborah, that's a keeper!

Disneyginger,
    I'm a fish lover, and like Linda, I have lots of recipes. I'll offer a couple to get you started:

*** Recipes from Ren Adler AscherÂs Kitchen ***

Sautéed Halibut Fillets with Leeks and Red Peppers

Source: My variation on recipe courtesy of Guiliano Hazan (Food TV)
    Servings: 2
    Prep. and Cooking Time: 45 minutes

Ingredients:
    2 medium size leeks (about 3/4 lb.)
    3 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
    1 sweet red pepper
    Kosher or sea salt to taste
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup all purpose flour (enough to coat fillets)
    1 Lb. halibut, sea bass or other delicate, firm-fleshed fish
    1/4 cup dry white wine (Optional revision: used a homemade chicken broth instead and actually felt it had a richer flavor and lacked the acidity of
    the wine)

Instructions:
    Â Cut off root end of leeks and trim off the tough green leaves. Cut crosswise into 2-inch lengths and then julienne into narrow strips. Add to a bowl of water. Rinse a few times to remove all sand and drain.
     Put 1 Tbs. of olive oil into a skillet or sauté pan sized to hold fish in one layer. Place it over medium heat. Stir to coat. Add 1/2 inch water and season lightly with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until leeks are tender about 10 minutes.
     Meanwhile, peel, seed, and cut the red pepper into thin strips. Add to the leeks, raise the heat to medium-high and sauté uncovered until peppers are tender and leeks have lightly browned. Remove vegetables from pan and set aside.
    Â Add remaining 2 Tbs. of oil to pan and place over medium-high heat. Dredge fish fillets in flour to coat evenly. Shake off excess.
     Test oil in pan with a drop of flour to see if it sizzles. When hot enough, add fish and sauté until both sides of the fish are lightly browned.
    Â Add the white wine, season with salt and pepper, and put the vegetables back in the pan.
    Â Lower heat to medium and cover the pan. Cook until the fish flakes when prodded with a fork, about 5 minutes. Remove the fish. Reduce sauce if necessary and pour over the fish.

Here is a real simple recipe for salmon:

Salmon Fillets with Dijon Mustard
    Servings: 2

Ingredients:
    2 salmon fillets
    1 Tbs. mayonnaise
    1 tsp. Dijon mustard
    dash paprika
    snipped dill (optional)

Â Rinse and dry fish
    Â Preheat oven to 450Ë
    Â Mix next ingredients together. Put fish in flame proof dish. Coat fillets with mixture.
    Â Put in oven for 6 minutes then under broiler for 5 minutes or until top is bubbly and
    browned

• 16 years ago

OK, this has NOTHING to do with eating fish, but it's what I thought of when I saw the subject line...

DH with his fish shirt!
    {{gwi:1491766}}

He's not really squinty eyed and red-faced...just when he's laughing!
    Hee hee

Deanna

• 16 years ago

Hey disneyginger, there was a great thread a couple weeks ago about fish - check this out!

Stacy

Here is a link that might be useful: Gina's thread about fish

• 16 years ago

Shrimp etouffee, crab cakes, snapper Vera Cruz, seafood enchiladas, Crabmeat Imperial, stuffed flounder, Southern-fried catfish, Boston clam chowder... Probably half my favorite dishes in the world involve fish or seafood. I'll start with this one since it's very different from the recipes posted so far. Someone gave it to me many years ago and I've since seen it posted on several websites, but there's never been any information on the original source. Wherever it came from, it's truly a family favorite. A word of caution, though -- unless you enjoy spicy foods, don't even think about trying it!

BLACKENED CAJUN CATFISH

2 t. cayenne pepper **
    2 t. ground black pepper
    2 t. lemon pepper
    2 t. garlic powder
    2 t. salt **
    2 T. butter, plus more for greasing baking dish
    1 lb. catfish fillets
    1 c. Italian salad dressing (may not need it all)

** If you like heat, but in more moderate amounts, decrease the cayenne a little. Also, like many Cajun seasoning blends, this one is fairly salty. You can reduce that also to suit personal taste. However, though we're definitely not salt fiends, we actually prefer this just as written.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a glass baking dish and set aside. (It's important for the catfish to be placed in a single layer with no overlapping, so prepare 2 casserole dishes if necessary.)

Combine 5 seasoning ingredients in a small prep bowl, stirring well to mix. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter over low heat. Brush fillets on both sides with melted butter and apply blackened spice mixture evenly all over.

Heat a large, heavy skillet on medium-high. Sear catfish until lightly blackened (approx. 3 minutes per side, maybe a little less). Deactivate fire alarm if necessary. :)

Transfer fillets to prepared baking dish(es). Pour about 1 cup of Italian dressing evenly over all. (It just depends on the # of fillets and size of dish. I rarely use a whole cup. The main thing is to be sure all exposed portions of the fish are generously coated. If you missed any spots, spoon some dressing over them. Beyond that, you just need enough extra in the bottom of the pan to insure the fish can cook in the liquid instead of sticking and burning. Strictly as a guess, I'd say about 1/4 inch(??) When I double the recipe, I don't use anywhere near 2 cups of dressing.)

Bake, uncovered, for approximately 35 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily when scraped with the tines of a fork. (It's best to check it at the 30-minute mark. If the fillets are a little on the thin side, they may be done then.)

If various family members/guests all like spiciness but have different levels of tolerance, there are a couple of things you can do to accommodate their mixed tastes. For maximum intensity, put the seasonings in a shallow bowl or pie plate and dredge the butter-coated fish. For less of a wallop, put them in a container with a shaker top. That way, you can shake more or less vigorously depending on who's going to eat a particular piece of fish.

I usually serve this with 'loaded' baked potatoes. The creaminess of butter and coolness of sour cream offset the heat of the catfish nicely.

sm

• 16 years ago

Great topic for a post, as DH is supposed to eat fish about 3x a week.

Two ways I've prepared it in the recent weeks:

* Modified Shake-n-Bake. (Someone just posted a homemade recipe on another thread, that's similar to mine.)

* Grilled in the little George Foreman knock-off grill I've got, with a little lemon.

DonnaR/CA

• 16 years ago

I tend to like crunchy fish, so I like all of these.

Pecan-Crusted Fish Fillets

12 ounces skinless catfish, white fish, tilapia, cod, or orange roughy fillets, ~1/2 inch thick

Thaw fish, if frozen. Rinse fish and pat dry with paper towels. In a shallow dish or pie plate, stir together:

1/2 cup flour
    1/2 tsp. salt and dash of pepper.

In another shallow dish, stir together:

1/2 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts mixed with
    1/2 cup dry bread crumbs.

In a small bowl, beat together:
    1 egg plus 1 Tblsp. water

Dredge fish fillets in flour, shaking off excess.
    Dip in egg mixture, Roll in nuts and breadcrumbs.
    Sauté in butter until done (use medium heat, so the nuts dont burn)

OR

Line a baking pan with foil. Lightly grease the foil.
    Place the coated fish in the prepared pan.
    Bake, uncovered, at 425 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.
    *Notes: use your favorite fish, trout, perch, walleye...fillets work better than chunks. The nuts will get dark, but it brings out a nice rich flavor.

These two are very similar, the first is Ruthanna's and the second is Lori's, I like 'em both.

PARMESAN FRIED FLOUNDER WITH TOMATO-BASIL BUTTER
    (serves 4)

TOMATO BASIL BUTTER
    1 Tbs. olive oil
    1 1/2 cups peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes (about 1 lb.)
    2 tsp. minced garlic
    1/2 cup sweet butter softened
    2 tsp. grated lemon rind
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    1/4 cup minced fresh basil

Heat the olive oil in a small skillet. Add the tomatoes and garlic and saute, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until the tomatoes form a puree that will mound. Let cool. Put the butter in a mixing bowl and beat in the tomatoes and remaining ingredients. Can be made up to 2 days ahead and refrigerated but best served at room temperature so that it will melt quickly over the fish.

FISH

1/2 cup flour
    3/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
    3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    2 eggs, beaten
    1/4 cup butter
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 pound flounder fillets

Combine flour, salt & pepper in shallow bowl or pie tin. Mix the crumbs and cheese in another bowl or pie tin. Have the eggs ready in a third shallow dish. Since the fish needs to cook in a single layer, use one very large skillet or 2 slightly smaller ones. Heat the butter and olive oil in the skillet. Dip the fish in the seasoned flour and shake off the excess. Then dip in the egg and let the excess drip off. Finally coat completely with the Parmesan crumbs. Saute the fillets over medium heat for 2 minutes on each side, pat off any excess oil with paper towels and serve at once topped with Tomato-Basil butter.
    Notes: Fish fillets can be breaded and refrigerated for a couple of hours before cooking but bring to room temperature first. If you have any leftover Tomato-Basil Butter, its good on cooked green beans or grilled shrimp.

Parmesan Crusted Halibut

1/2 cup flour
    2 large eggs
    2 tablespoons water
    2 cups Panko bread crumbs
    1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
    Zest of 1 lemon, chopped
    4 6-oz halibut fillets, skin removed
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    Preheat oven to 400°F.

Place flour in one bowl, beat eggs and water place in 2nd bowl, combine Panko, Parmesan and lemon zest in 3rd bowl. Lightly salt and pepper the halibut fillets. Dredge the fillets in flour, next dip in egg and then coat with Panko mixture.
    Heat olive oil in ovenproof pan (I used my LeCreuset). Saute the fillets in on medium-high until golden-brown crust forms. Turn fillets over and place pan in preheated oven. Roast until centers are pearly white and opaque.

Finally, my favorite way to cook salmon, just toss it on the grill and brush occasionally with this Jessica's Lime Chipotle glaze:

Lime-Chipotle Sauce
    Food processor:
    1/2 cup honey
    2 tablespoons minced canned chipotle chilies in adobado sauce (WAAAY too much for me, the heat wus)
    3 tablespoons brown mustard
    1/2 cup lime juice
    1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    Season with salt and pepper
    Serve sauce as a marinade grilled meats, poultry, and fish if your guests don't get to it first with tortilla chips. Makes 1 1/2 cups.

And just to make this post complete, a picture of Jessica with her very first fish, caught here in White Cloud!

Annie

• 16 years ago

I was scrolling down all prepared to post Jessy's Lime-Chipotle Sauce. We like it best on halibut...marinated for 20 min. or so, then baked, broiled...whatever. Yummmm...

• 16 years ago

Monique's Salmon with Puff Pastry and Pesto is very good and VERY easy.

Salmon with Puff Pastry and Pesto

by Giada DeLaurentis/foodtv.com

4 pieces of purchased puff pastry, each cut to be just larger than a piece of salmon
    4 (4- to 6-oz.) salmon filets
    1/4 cup sliced almonds
    1/4 cup pesto
    2 tomatoes, sliced

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

On a foil-lined baking sheet place the 4 pieces of puff pastry. Also place the 4 pieces of salmon, making sure they are not touching. Sprinkle each piece of salmon with 1 T. almonds (and salt and pepper). Bake for 10-15 minutes.

To serve, place each piece of puff pastry on a plate. Top each piece with 1 T. pesto, 2 slices of tomato and one piece of salmon. Serve. (serves 4)

Michelle

• 16 years ago

Annie,
    That's BAIT!!!
    Jo

• 16 years ago

Do this...

Get some Holy Water from your church, a nice big beef roast and, while sprinkling the Holy Water on the roast, intone this...

"You were born a beef, you were raised a beef, now you are a fish!"

You're golden. :-D

• 16 years ago

LOL Kframe!

• 16 years ago

Good one Kframe. LOL!

Ann

• 16 years ago

Our absolute favourite is mahi mahi. I rub on a bit of olive oil then season with salt and pepper, that's it. Then we grill it (gas grill).

I cannot tell you how good that is! We have tried the same thing but roasting or broiling but it does not even compare and needs more seasoning.