SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnmari_gw

a-fishy, a-fishy, a-fishy-fish...

johnmari
14 years ago

So now TWO of my doctors are on my case to start taking fish oil again, both for anti-inflammatory and mood stabilizing. I have been "prescribed" EPA in relatively high dose - minimum of 1000mg daily of EPA alone. We really don't give a hoot about the amount of DHA, it just comes along for the ride. (Flax oil is futile in this situation.) I quit taking fish oil before because of having to force down six or more GIANT gelcaps a day and the fish burps that would occasionally make me (sorry to be graphic) throw up in my mouth a little. Fish breath AND barf breath, how pleasant for those around me. One doc told me to freeze the gelcap and I choked on it (one of the more frightening experiences I've had), they're hard enough to get down when squishy.

But, I know that there's now a way to concentrate the EPA now so that you only have to take one or two gelcaps a day and still get the high doses of the important bits (I'm already knocking back about 25 pills a day, between rx and supplements), and without it "coming back to haunt you". I know about pharmaceutical grade and molecular distillation and all that stuff so I don't turn myself into a thermometer. I've been down to the local "natural pharmacy" and dang are they into the hard sell (not to mention very expensive)... and let's just say I could use some recommendations from people who don't have any stake in whether I buy something or not. I HAVE learned that if it's a softgel that is marked "great lemon flavor" or something like that, you're still going to burp fish, but now it's going to taste like it's been dipped in Pledge.

I know about the "Omega Swirl" stuff from Barlean which doesn't taste that bad (if much too sweet, I had a sample) but it would come close to $50 a month since I would need to take triple the normal dose to get the minimum 1000mg. Ditto for Coromega. (Isn't it crazy that the "natural" stuff that you're "supposed to" take instead of pharmaceuticals often cost significantly more than the prescriptions, and insurance doesn't cover nutritional supplements even when prescribed for a specific condition?)

Comments (33)