SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
munkos

Vinyl Bubble woes

munkos
17 years ago

Hi all, lurker from Pets, renovating entire house. Right now we're on the bathroom.

I realise this question has probably been posted a zillion and one times. But its more of a question of what can be done, than why the bubbles are there.

My installers were dufus's from day one, and will probably never get another recomendation from the company they were hired out by again. My boyfriends boss has been working through this company for years and this weekend the manager is going to come take a look at the floor and perhaps attempt to fix the problem himself, or supervise dumb and dumber while they do it right.

I just want to know if they need to rip out the flooring, and completely replace it, or can they take it up and use it again?

Being that I have absolutely no experience in renovation or flooring period, and I'm fairly young(20), I didn't know what is right and not right about flooring.

I was shown two bubbles that were supposed to go away when the adhesive 'outgassed' I kind of wondered where the gas was supposed to go exactly, but I figured they knew what they were talking about. I was told that cranking the heat up there being that its a bit cold usually, would help pull the Vinyl in and seal it faster. But that if I chose to leave it cool, it would just take longer to set, not cause any problems.

When I called dumb and dumber back to say that I now have atleast one bubble per square foot, or MORE..they told me it must be too cold up there. Even though I cranked the heat and we suffered for three nights in ungodly hot temperatures. It definately wasn't too cold. He then went on to tell me that he did nothing wrong and he EVEN used 100 dollar adhesive. Well, quality materials dont = quality workmanship, buddy. He said they'll try to make it by sometime this weekend to see if anything can be done. I don't even know if I want them back in my house, to make things worse. I'd rather pay someone else to come fix it, if I have to.

Also, I'd like some more information on proper installation so if they try to tell me something, I know whether they're right or not.

How long does adhesive need to 'outgas' before you're supposed to put the vinyl down?

How long does it typically take for the floor to set?? I was told it would take 24-72 hours, but that we could walk on it immediately - just not to set anything heavy down on it??

Does temperature matter in the setting and outgassing of the adhesive??

If they do have to rip it out, will they have to float the floor again??

My bathroom was supposed to be done by the end of next week. Now it's looking like it won't be done for atleast two, because of this floor.

Comments (11)