SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kpesto

Sunrise, Marvin, and window shopping woes

Summer
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hello,

I am looking for some advice. Briefly, we live in a 10 year old spec house whose windows and sliding glass door are pretty mediocre quality vinyl units. We also have solid concerns that they were not weather-proofed appropriately or insulated well at installation. Although it seems way too soon, we think it is time to replace the windows and door.

I did online research and made my short list of recommended vinyl replacements. We are in the Champaign, IL area, and I have discovered that I cannot get Okna or Sunrise Restorations/Vanguard. The nearest Soft-lite dealer is 90+ minutes away, and given their handling of the Gorell purchase/warranties - I don't think it is one I want to pursue.

I am able to get standard Sunrise. The regional rep advised me that sash reinforcement is not an option and only comes into play during winds over 25 mph. We have full west exposure to a corn/soybean field with no wind break. Sustained winds at that speed are fairly rare, but gusts at or above that speed are pretty common. How much should the lack of reinforcement concern me? Are they still my best option? (Note - the majority of our windows are 36 x 60 units, with a lot of them placed as two windows side by side in one opening. No windows are wider than that.)

We had initially taken Marvin off the list after seeing that specs and cost could be beat by a high quality vinyl, but I now have an in-home visit scheduled. Would they be a better choice with higher winds? (as long as cost isn't prohibitive)

Are there other brands I should pursue?

Thank you so much for any help you can provide!!

Comments (11)