SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

POOFing some peaches

lpinkmountain
13 years ago

I'm trying to clean out the freezer and I have a package of frozen peaches I'd like to use up. I have a recipe for peach brown sugar muffins but they aren't as "peachy" as I would like.

Anyone have any simple suggestions for something that highlights the flavor of one of my fruit faves? Something simple, no dough manipulation, lol! Although BF loves peach dumplings and he has been so helpful during my illness he really does deserve something special. But these are cut up peach pieces, not wholes or halves. And I am definately dough challenged.

Comments (8)

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

Got a cake mix?

Place peaches in 8x8 pan, sprinkle cake mix over the top and drizzle with butter. Easy, easy.

If no boxed mix on hand, mix some flour, oatmeal, cinnamon, brown sugar and melted butter together to make a crumb topping.

Bake at 350 for about 35-40 minutes or until topping is browned and filling is bubbly.

Either way, you'll have a yummy peach crisp!

Deanna

• caliloo
    13 years ago

TThis works really well with frozen peaches.

Three Ingredient Five Minute Berry Blast Ice Cream
    one 10-oz pkg frozed sliced mixed berries
    1/2 C sugar
    2/3 C heavy cream
    2 Tbsp vodka (optional) ��" prevents ice crystals and makes it creamier

Put a bit of cream in a food processor or blender. I used a food processor just because it's easier to clean than my blender.
    Add the froz berries and sugar and process until roughly chopped.
    With the processor or blender running, add the heavy cream until fully incorporated. Done!
    Put it in the fridge overnight--or sit and eat it right then and there!
    As Shaun mentioned, you can always add vodka.

• lindac
    13 years ago

This has been my "quick like a bunny" dessert...I add vanilla to the batter.
    Dessert Summer Torte by Marion Burros
    1 stick butter, softened (I always use unsalted)
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 cup flour; sifted
    1 tsp baking powder
    2 eggs
    pinch of salt
    fruit of choice; sliced into wedges (I used about 7 plums. Peaches, nectarines,strawberries all work great and in combination)
    cinnamon sugar for top
    Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter and add sugar. Beat well. Add eggs and beat. Mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to batter. Mix. Spoon globs to greased 9 or 10 inch springform.( I often use a 9 inch cake pan or a very large pie plate.) Use a knife to spread batter to cover entire pan. Arrange fruit on top.( I sort of push in into the batter...and I add lots...almost cover the cake. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (amount depends on the sweetness of the fruit).
    Bake for 45 min.

• spacific
    13 years ago

Or even just simmer slowly in a saucepan with a bit of sugar and drop of almond extract and cook to a thick syrup consistency then use it on toast or over pancakes or french toast, or mix in with plain yoghurt for a peachy breakfast.

• User
    13 years ago

I was going to suggest the ice cream that Alexa posted. Easy and delicious.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Peach cobber, it's so much easier than peach pie, in my opinion.

Here's my very old Betty Crocker recipe:

Peach Cobbler

1/2 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    4 cups sliced fresh peaches (6 medium)
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    3 tablespoons shortening
    1 cup Gold Medalî all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup milk
    Cream, if desired

1.Heat oven to 400ú.

2.Mix 1/2 cup sugar, the cornstarch and cinnamon in 2-quart saucepan. Stir in peaches and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute. Pour into ungreased 2-quart casserole; keep peach mixture hot in oven.

3.Cut shortening into flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, the baking powder and salt in medium bowl, using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until mixture look like fine crumbs. Stir in milk. Drop dough by 6 spoonfuls onto hot peach mixture.

4.Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Serve warm with cream if desired.
    Makes 6 servings

Nutrition Information:

1 Serving (1 Serving)Calories 260 (Calories from Fat 65 ),Total Fat 7 g(Saturated Fat 2 g,Cholesterol 0mg;Sodium 330 mg;Total Carbohydrate 48 g(Dietary Fiber 3 g,Protein 4 g;Percent Daily Value*:Calcium ;Exchanges:1 Starch;2 Fruit;1 Fat;*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

annie

• doucanoe
    13 years ago

I vote for peach ice cream, too! But if that is not an option for you....

This cake is really good and not overly sweet. It was posted by someone here, maybe Ruthanna? Sorry, I didn't note who posted it way back when.

GEORGIA PEACH POUND CAKE

3 cups flour
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup butter, softened
    3 cups granulated sugar
    6 eggs (at room temperature)
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    1/2 cup sour cream
    2 cups chopped, peeled peaches

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.

Mix the flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Cream the butter andsugar in a mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time,mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla and almond extracts.
    Add the dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in the sour cream and peaches.

Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 75 to 85 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes.

Invert onto wire rack and cool completely.

Icing
    8 ounces cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup butter, softened
    1 tablespoon milk
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    1 (1 pound) box confectioners' sugar, sifted

Cream the cream cheese and butter in a mixer bowl until light and fluffy.

Add the milk and almond extract and mix well. Add the confectioners sugar gradually, beating until smooth. Frost cake. Store leftover cake covered in refrigerator.

And this is really good, too. Peach Melba Crumble 2 c all purpose flour 1 cup sugar 1 tsp salt 10 T butter, chilled and cut into cubes 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking soda 3/4 c buttermilk 1 egg 1 tsp vanilla 5 c sliced peaches (if using frozen, thaw first) 1 c fresh raspberries 1/2 c firmly packed brown sugar Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly spray 9x13 baking pan with oooking spray. Combine flour, sugar, salt & butter in work bowl of food processor. Process until mixture resembles corn meal. Reserve 1 cup of this mixture for topping. Combine remaining flour mixture with baking powder, soda, buttermilk, egg and vanilla to form a smooth batter. Do not overmix. Spread batter into prepared pan, top with fruit. Add brown sugar to reserved flour mixture and mix well. Sprinkle over fruit. Bake 50\-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Coll or serve warm. 12 servings \*\*any sliced fruit (apples, pears, plums etc.) may be substituted for the peach slices. Linda
  • KatieC
    13 years ago

This is what I made last night with some canned pears. It was yummy...I bet peaches would be just as good:

Put the pears in little individual casserole dishes and sprinkled w/ amaretto. Made a crumbly topping w/ 5-grain rolled cereal, some slivered almonds, a little flour and butter. Baked it and topped with mascarpone cheese mixed w/ amaretto.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County