SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tracey_oh

What's for dessert-#1 2009

Tracey_OH
15 years ago

Okay, here we go folks. I made this over the weekend for just us. It's a chocolate chip pie-basically a chocolate chip cookie but not quite. The recipe suggested serving it with whipped cream, but we ate it plain and thought it was just fine that way. The recipe is from Food Network.

Comments (106)

• User
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Coconut, your pie looks amazing. Love the idea of a custard. And your leaves look perfect.

Annie, you sure got a better deal on the rhubarb than I did. I had to pay $2.75 a pound at a fruit and vegetable market out in Sidney and the grocery stores here have it at $3.99 a pound. Crazy.

I found a recipe for chocolate and caramel roasted almonds on another blog. Piggy's Cooking Journal. Made them last night. Double batch. Half with Callebaut dark chocolate and the other half with Callebaut white chocolate. I liked the white chocolate best.

• coconut_nj
    14 years ago

Thanks Ann. Caramel roasted almonds sounds great to me.

Annie that rhubarb looks so good. I think maybe it's time I tried to grow some again. Our farm stand did have asparagus today but no rhubarb.. humph.

Well since Christy is so good and is taking off two days to help get the yard under control I made her a cake today. She's also a great Mother to our 8 cats and one dog. She deserved it. I used the old Hershey's cake recipe and also used Hersheys cocoa for the frosting. Since I like a lot more icing than she does I frost one end of a cake thick and one end thinner. LOL.. compromise.

Here's my nice covered pan she got me one XMas. The name does come in handy when you lend out your pan with food in it. LOL.

This is after our two pieces for tonights dessert. I had one off her end this evening. Smirk.

Since I forgot to take a pic of our pieces I sacrificed and cut myself a piece off my end for a midnight snack. What I do for you people. Besides the measly icing from her end didn't satisfy my craving. Note how nice and thick my end's icing is. LOL

I can see at this rate that I'm going to have to freeze most of the rest of this cake. It was too darn good.

• Related Discussions

What was the worst troll thread for 2009?? (just wondering)

Q

Comments (16)
    I think the soil forum gets it's share of trolls. It's really an easy target I think because those guys get real emotional about their dirt and compost. Not a place for wimps or the weak of heart! That's not a criticism, I like that forum and have followed it for years. There's a troll thread there now, something about frozen soil. Apparently some of his past threads have been pulled but searching the forums reveals a lot of similar posts over a long period of time. A troll is a person with no life and too much time I think. Karen
    ...See More

December 2009 What Have You Fed Your Compost Today?

Q

Comments (46)
    If you ever find Biozome at organic nursery, try it out on compost. It doesn't cost much. I paid 18 dollars for 2lbs jar and it seems to go a long way on everything. Anyway, I read that it helps break down compost pile at 3 time the normal rates for little bit of Biozome on the compost pile and you don't have to turn the pile over. Thought I'd let the word out for anyone interested to try it out for the heck of it. My brother used it on seed germination and he said it helped seed germinate pretty fast compared to control test he had to see the comparison. I bought for that reason and to control stem rot/damping off problem hopefully to see if it makes any difference. Also, it helps clean up oil/fuel spill in the ground (primary usage all over the world) and improve soil compaction. It doesn't look like it's something you get from ordinary compost so why not try it and see how they do for plants.
    ...See More

What Made It... What Didn't Make It for 2009!

Q

Comments (68)
    I don't remember clematis every coming up so late. I think I lost a new one, however, despite mulching. Maybe it just was too soggy of a spot. I still hope it comes up but time's running out. I also lost my Japanese blood grass and northern lights grass, but they were soggy spot. My Endless summer hydrangea survived fairly well as did the Tiger Eyes sumac. I had big sections where my lamium died out completely, which totally surprised me. Sometimes the plants survive and stay green, other times at least the roots survive. I'm not worried though, enough did survive that maybe I can fill in the area once again. Glen
    ...See More

What's for Dessert #2 - 2009

Q

Comments (32)
    More desserts here, the Monkey Princess and Bruvver came over yesterday and we just had to make some elephant ears. The Princess didn't get quite enough of them at this year's fairs and festivals, LOL. So, she and Bruvver started stirring some up... We fried them in hot oil and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar: The Princess approved: We also had a birthday party today, for my sister's Terrible Twins. They turned seven so I decided to make some cake pops, I'd seen them all over the internet. They both like "Hello Kitty" so off I go. I bake a cake. From scratch, the Hershey's Cocoa recipe. I crumble it up and mix up a cream cheese based buttercream frosting, mix it all together. Make balls, add sticks and freeze. But what for ears? White/vanilla chips, stuck to the tops of the cake balls, as per "Bakerella", then a dip into melted candy coating. Some piped on decorations and we have it: What a PIA. Plus, the coating drips down and it's not smooth, and my piece of styrofoam I had holding the pops fell over and smashed several. I gave up on "hello Kitty" and just dipped the rest, sprinkled them and added some flowers: Oh yeah, and just to add to the equation, I have to tell you that I tasted one of them today. It was possibly one of the worst things I have ever put into my mouth, so sweet it would make your teeth ache and soft and mushy, kind of like the center of brownies when they aren't quite cooked enough. Ewwww..... Annie
    ...See More
  • empress
    14 years ago

ann t,

Thank you so much for the Strawberry Meringue Roulade recipe. I have made it twice; weekend before last, and for my mother-in-law for Mother's Day. It was a big hit both times. Amazingly, it is even good left over. Thank you so much. The one thing I did learn was to butter the parchment paper before spreading the meringue on it to bake. Other than that is seems fairly foolproof--AND delicious. Thank you.

Valerie

• User
    14 years ago

Valerie, It really is good isn't it? And so easy. Moe's birthday is the end of May and I think I will make it again then. I'm just wondering why you needed to butter the parchment. I have not had a problem with the meringue sticking to it.

Ann

• stacy3
    14 years ago

well, this is an amazing thread. I hate it, but I love it.

I will be going off to Ann's blog to check on that roulade.

All the ice cream and gelato, reaffirm my desire to get an ice cream maker or the attachment for my KA.

so many wonderful recipes, great ideas and GORGEOUS photos.

Tracey, I made your chocolate chip pie yesterday for a neighbor who just had a baby. Kept one for us, and Will won't stop asking for more. I had a little taste and boy is it good.

And can you explain cini-mini's? and how do you make them?

Thanks!
    Stacy

• fearlessem
    14 years ago

Oh Coconut -- those chocolate cake slices are killing me! I decided to make this week a 'week without dessert', as I felt I'd been eating too much... But seeing that piece of cake is nearly sending me over the edge! Maybe if I lick my screen...

I'll be checking out that meringue roulade recipe too, as I just made a batch of strawberry rhubarb sauce that would be nice spread in there with the whipped cream. Man, I can't wait until 'no dessert week' is over!

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Em, stop licking that screen, it's messing the pictures all up.....ooops, sorry, that was ME, licking the screen, LOL.

My latest desserts were on the WFD thread, I keep forgetting about this one.

For Mother's Day I made brownies with fudge frosting and a rhubarb cheesecake. I used Sherry's recipe for the brownies, and they were good. I know, because I ate one but I left the rest of the pan full at Amanda's, LOL.

Not being a fan of cheesecake, I didn't try that, but Elery loves the stuff and says it was "the best he'd ever had". Yeah, that man knows he's gotta live with me someday. (grin)

{{gwi:1490569}}

{{gwi:1490570}}

Annie

• Tracey_OH
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yay! I'm so glad this thread is still going strong. Everything looks wonderful, as usual!

Annie, I can't even comprehend not liking cheesecake. I could eat every bite of yours in probably 2 days :) Ann, those nuts look awesome! Definitely saving that recipe.

Stacy, I'm so glad you enjoyed the chocolate chip pie. I think it's about time for me to make another one :) Here's the cinni-mini recipe. I usually only make one pan because we do not need two pans of these sitting around. Last time, I added a little bit of butter to the icing which is always soup-like because noone in my family bothers to wait until they are cooled off to eat them. They hover around the oven waiting for the timer to go off so they can devour them.

Cinni-Minis
    2 8oz cans crescent rolls (reg or reduced fat)
    6 T softened butter
    1/3 c brown sugar
    1/4 c chopped pecans (optional)
    1 T granulated sugar
    1 t cinnamon
    2/3 c powdered sugar
    1 T milk or 1/2 and 1/2
    1/4 t almond or vanilla extract
    1/8 t salt

-Unroll crescent rolls and separate each dough portion along center perforation to form 8 rectangles. Press seams to seal.
    -Stir together butter and next 4 ingredients then spread evenly over 1 side of each rectangle. Roll up, jelly roll style, starting at the long end. Gently cut each log into 6 slices using a serrated knife. Place rolls, 1/4" apart into 2 greased 8" cake pans.
    -Bake at 375° for 15 to 18 mins until golden. Cool 5-10 mins.
    -Stir together powdered sugar and remaining 3 ingredients. Drizzle over warm rolls.

• stacy3
    14 years ago

oh Tracey - thank you - I think Will is going to react the same way your family does...:-) dumb question: how do you eat them? in a bowl with a spoon? a couple on a plate with a fork? Just out of the pan with a big ol tablespoon - LOL?

Thanks,
    Stacy

• Tracey_OH
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Stacy, I just cut a few out with a knife and put them on a plate. My boys consider forks optional so they just dig in with their fingers as soon as they are cooled off enough to eat. I use a fork because the icing is so drippy. I hope Will enjoys them :)

• empress
    14 years ago

Hi, again.

Ann, the first time I made this the parchment paper would not let go of the meringue, so I had to peel it away inch by inch with a spatula. Fortunately, rolling with the whipped cream hid all the rips and holes.

Every other meringue roulade recipe I found on the internet said to butter or oil the parchment paper. Very little extra effort to save possible problems later, I figure.

Another trick I figured out the with the second roulade is to use my egg slicer for the strawberries. So fast and easy! And they covered the surface neatly and rolled very well that way.

BTW, I am really enjoying this entire topic--you all are amazing!! I try to avoid desserts, but I've got quite a list to try now--thank you all for the wonderful pictures and inspiration.

Valerie

• Tracey_OH
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Decided I needed to post on here since it's been so long! Not that I've been avoiding dessert, but I haven't really tried many new recipes. Here's some blueberry gelato I tried for the first time. I adapted it from a strawberry recipe and it's not bad. I wish I would have strained out the blueberries before adding them to the cream because the skins are a little tough. Overall good flavor though!

• Tracey_OH
    Original Author
    14 years ago

School's out, so the munchkins require treats! They are not a fan of my exotic ice creams so I made some of the Jacque Torres cc cookies. I subbed half barley flour and half white wheat flour for the regular flour so we can at least pretend they are somewhat healthy :)

• coconut_nj
    14 years ago

I thought it was time to drag this back up. Smiles. We have been eating a lot of strawberries. Last night I made strawberry shortcake using my favorite drop biscuits for the shortcake. No sugar, just plain old drop biscuits. I used the last of my homemade baking mix for them. I like the berries cut in hunks instead of slices and lots of sugar to make plenty of juice since that's the part Christy likes best on her shortcake. Lots of juice and a few berries. I also like the whipped cream with no sugar.

Tonight we had strawberry and banana slices with mascarpone. Yummy too.

Sorry about the blurry pics. I have no idea what happened. The camera was set for food and I thought I was steady. Sigh... grrr... Smiles. Better luck next time I guess.

I froze some of these biscuits so she can take them to work for breakfast.

This is my bowl. Lots of berries underneath. Ok, plenty of everything.

The recipe for the baking mix is from the HillBilly Housewife.
    White Flour Biscuit Mix

Posted By The Hillbilly Housewife On April 25, 2009 @ 12:59 pm In Breads : No Comments

Recipe using all-purpose flour:

* 9 cups all-purpose flour
    * 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
    * 1/4 cup baking powder
    * 2 cups solid vegetable shortening

Recipe using self-rising flour:

* 10 cups self-rising flour (this already has salt and baking powder added to it)
    * 2 cups solid vegetable shortening

You can use either recipe above and come up with the same results. The procedure for making Biscuit Mix is the same for both recipes. Choose the recipe that fits the status of your ingredients the best.

Get out a very large bowl, or a clean, dry dish pan. Mix all of the dry ingredients together first. Then measure the shortening by using a one cup measure to scoop up a big glob of shortening. Pack it down tightly, and level off the top with your finger or a dull knife. Your fingers will get greasy; its alright, you can wash them later. Scoop the shortening out of the measuring cup into the bowl or dishpan. Measure another cup of shortening the same way. You should put a total of two cups of shortening into the flour. Now use your hands to mix the shortening into the flour. It should only take a few minutes before the mixture resembles lumpy cornmeal in texture. Now you are done. Easy, wasnt it?

Store the Biscuit Mix in a tightly sealed canister or clean coffee can. These recipes make about 11 or 12 cups of Biscuit Mix. Use it anywhere else you see Bisquick or Biscuit Mix called for.

Note by Coconut: To make the biscuits with this mix use 2 1/4 cups of mix to 2/3 cup of milk for regular biscuits. To make them drop I use about 1 cup of milk. I just eyeball the milk so they're a little looser than cut out biscuits. Place on an ungreased baking sheet [I use parchment]. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes. If I make them large they can take 15 minutes. If you want a sweet shortbread just add 1T of sugar to the mix.

These biscuits are quite tender and you can make them like scones by adding fruit or raisins and using about 3/4 cup of milk instead of the 2/3. Just pat out gently on parchment paper on the baking sheet.

This baking mix is what I use for the Impossibly Easy Coconut Pie by Betty Crocker

1 cup flaked or shredded coconut
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup Original Bisquick® mix
    1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
    2 cups milk
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
    4 eggs

1.Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease 9-inch pie plate with shortening or cooking spray.
    2.In medium bowl, stir all ingredients until blended. Pour into pie plate.
    3.Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until golden brown and knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cover and refrigerate any remaining pie.

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

This is the first time I've seen this thread! Some luscious-looking desserts here.

My most recent dessert creation was a fresh fruit tart. Since I'm on a baking jag right now, I sent it home with my brother for his family. But I did get a little taste of the filling while I was making it. I found the recipe at JoyofBaking.com. Delish!

{{gwi:1490575}}

Lori

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Of COURSE we've had dessert, LOL.

I made some blackberry cobbler for supper on Monday, I was at Elery's and he invited his son and DIL with their two kids over for ribs in the smoker.

My mother was here yesterday and had some of the leftover cobbler along with homemade ice cream:

{{gwi:1490577}}

The kids had just ice cream with chocolate syrup. Makayla had sprinkles on hers, Bruvver wanted green colored sugar!

{{gwi:1490578}}

{{gwi:1490579}}

I'd tried an old pastry crust recipe that I've always had problems with. Another poster mentioned that dough rolled out on a silpat wouldn't stick. I just had to try it, LOL, and it didn't work for me. Of course. I couldn't get the dough off the silpat, so I cut it into stars and put it on top of the rhubarb/strawberry filling:

{{gwi:1490580}}

I think it might be a great 4th of July dessert!

Annie

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    14 years ago

I should post this on "What's for Dinner" since it's what I had last night, but it's not what most people would eat. I also wanted to contribute and keep it going since I refer to this thread occasionally. Hadn't thought of it in years, but had to make them when I saw the recipe again. Sorry no picture, but I don't have a camera yet, blasted divorce ;)

New Orleans Pralines
    1 ½ cup brown sugar
    1 ½ cup sugar
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    2/3 cup milk
    ½ cup rum

2 cups pecan halves
    ¼ cup butter
    ½ teaspoon vanilla

Combine brown sugar, sugar, salt, milk, and rum in a pan. Bring to a boil. Cook until mixture reaches soft ball consistency (235°), scraping the sugar crystals off the sides of the pan. Cool to 220 degrees. Add pecan halves, butter, and vanilla. Drop by tablespoons onto greased wax paper.

Tip: if you leave enough paper around each praline, you can cut a square around it and wrap the candy for storage.

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

I made Blondies the other day. Haven't had them in years. They were so moist and chewy. I need to make them more often:

Blondies

1/2 cup unsalted butter
    2 cups brown sugar
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 cups (scant) all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 F.

In a 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Remove pan from heat and stir in brown sugar. Add eggs, beating well after the addition of each one. Stir in vanilla.

Add dry ingredients; mix thoroughly. Spread in greased 13-inch x 9-inch baking pan. Bake 25 minutes. Cut in bars while warm; remove from pan when almost cool.

Source: Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook

Lori

• stacy3
    14 years ago

bump

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

I've been on jag making ice cream and sorbet lately. My most recent experiment was with Birthday Cake Ice Cream with crushed malted milk balls mixed in. It's my favorite flavor at Marble Slab Creamery.

Birthday Cake Ice Cream Recipe
    Philadelphia Style

Prep Time: 12 minutes
    Chill Time: at least 2 hours
    Ice Cream Maker Time: Approximately 20-25 minutes
    Makes: 1 1/2 quarts
    Servings: Ten 1/2 cup servings

1 1/2 cups milk
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    2/3 cup cake mix
    1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/3 to 1/2 cup add-ins

In a saucepan over medium low heat, combine milk, sugar, and cake mix. Stir constantly until mixture starts to bubble. Remove from heat and cool completely in refrigerator (about 2 hours). Stir in cream and vanilla. Pour into ice cream maker. Mix approximately 15-20 minutes or according to manufacturer's instructions. Pour in add-ins. Mix in ice cream maker for 5 more minutes. Scoop it out and enjoy!

Source: serving-ice-cream.com

Lori

• gardenguru1950
    14 years ago

Well CRUD!!!! Me and my allergy. Everytime I eat this kind of stuff, I break out in fat.

And LoriJean: I noticed you live in zone 7a. Where did you get the bougainvillea flower?

Joe

• diinohio
    14 years ago

Lol Joe!
    Tonight's dessert was ice cream sandwiches. I got the wafers at an Amish grocery store a few counties away

and filled them with home made vanilla ice cream

Di

• sooz
    14 years ago

I made this tonight for my BFF's birthday. We're celebrating tomorrow. I'm taking her out to dinner and then we're returning to my home for dessert. I know she won't eat the whole thing, so we're gonna share it. The flowers are from my garden.

It's a mini-cake, about 3 inches tall, made with almond-scented white cake, with two layers of filling (Amaretto buttercream and black currants), crumbcoated with Amaretto buttercream, then white chocolate melted over it (twice). The pink "skirt" on top is very thin homemade marshamallow fondant, and the swan and rose and rosebud are also made with the same fondant. It's the first time I ever made a swan.

I can hardly wait to have some!

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

Joe, I got the bougainvillea from a nursery in Midlothian. I bought it back in April, and it has flowered twice since then.

Lori

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

Btw, Sooz, your little cake looks amazing. The swan is beautiful - I can't believe that's your first one!

Diinohio, I love ice cream sandwiches. I'll have to see if I can find some of those wafer cookies.

Lori

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

This week I made a Watermelon-Lime Sorbet. I loved the flavor - so refreshing on a hot summer's day!

Watermelon-Lime Sorbet

8 cups cubed (1 inch) watermelon, seeds and rind discarded
    1 cup Simple Syrup*
    Zest of 1 lime
    Juice of 1 lime

Puree the watermelon cubes in a food processor. Measure 4 cups of the puree and place in a bowl. Add the simple syrup, lime juice, and lime zest, and stir well. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

*Simple Syrup:
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1 cup water

Combine sugar and water in saucepan. Bring to boil and simmer 5 minutes. Cool completely. Store in refrigerator.

Yield: 1-1/2 quarts

Source: Adapted from epicurious.com

Lori

• stacy3
    14 years ago

holy cow. This thread is so amazing. such beautiful pics. Sooz, your friend must have loved that beautiful little cake!

Di, homemade ice cream sandwiches - I never even thought about making them. mmmm.

Lori, that watermelon lime sorbet photo is breathtaking. The colors are gorgeous. This thread is going to cost me. I HAVE to have an ic maker...

• pat_t
    14 years ago

I made Lorijean's Blondie's the other day. Man, I'd forgotten how wonderful they are. Just plain & simple. And still good a few days later heated up in the microwave with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.

Today: spice cake with cream cheese frosting. Per Mom's request.

• Tracey_OH
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yay! Glad to see this is still going. I haven't been on much due to vacations and getting ready for school which starts next week! I did buy some peaches at a farm stand and used Annie's blueberry crisp recipe to make a peach crisp. Yum! The only trouble I had was it got a little soupy. Any ideas on how to thicken it up? Maybe some cornstarch? The flavor was great and I'll definitely make it again.

• Terri_PacNW
    14 years ago

I too made Lori's blondies last week..I sprinkled the top ith chocolate chips before baking and on one half chopped maple glazed nuts I made.

Yummmmy

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Tracey, peaches are much juicier than blueberries, so I'd probably toss the peach slices with a little flour, maybe 1/4 cup to start. That's what I do when I make fresh peach pie.

Annie

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

I made Blueberry Scones using Ann's recipe. Good for breakfast, good for dessert, too!

Lori

• pat_t
    14 years ago

Before Keebler bought them in 1996, the Sunshine Biscuit Co. used to make some wonderful cookies called Lemon Coolers. My friend, Gina, and I have been discussing the merits of said cookies for well over two years now. I searched the internet high and low and found this recipe. Gina's 40th birthday was last week, but I missed it, so I whipped up a batch of these and took them to her last night. Lo, and behold, they are very close the Sunshine Biscuit Co.'s and made her very happy.

LEMON COOLERS KNOCK-OFF RECIPE

1/2 cup powdered sugar
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup shortening
    1 egg
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    1/8 tsp. salt
    1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1 Tblsp. water
    1 cup powdered sugar
    1 pkg. unsweetened Kool-Aid lemonade mix

Preheat oven to 325° F. Cream together sugars, shortening, egg, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl. Add the 1/2 tsp. Kool-aid mix, flour and baking powder. Add 1 Tblsp. of water and continue mixing until dough forms a ball. Roll dough into 3/4-inch balls and flatten slightly onto a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake for 14-15 minutes or until cookies are light brown.
    As cookies bake, combine 1 cup powdered sugar with the 3/4 tsp. lemonade drink mix in a large plastic bag and shake thoroughly to mix. When the cookies are removed from the oven and while they are hot, add 4 or 5 at a time to the bag and shake it until the cookies are well coated. Repeat with the remaining cookies.

Makes 2½ dozen cookies.

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

Pat, I played with that recipe not too long ago. Here are the little changes I made and the ones I will make next time I bake these little cookies. I loved them, too!

Lemon Coolers

1/2 cup powdered sugar
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/3 cup shortening (I used butter)color>
    1 egg
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cups cake flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 tablespoon water (next time, I will use fresh lemon juice instead of water)color>
    (I also added 1 teaspoon of lemon zest to the dough)color>

Lemon Powdered Sugar
    1 cup powdered sugar
    rounded 1/2 teaspoon unsweetened Kool-Aid lemonade drink mix (next time, I will try 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest instead)color>

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Cream together sugars, butter, egg, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl. Add the flour, baking powder and 1 teaspoon of lemon zest. Add 1 tablespoon of water (or lemon juice) and continue mixing until dough forms a ball.

Roll dough into 3/4-inch balls and flatten slightly onto a lightly greased cookie sheet (I used parchment-lined baking sheets). Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until cookies are light brown.

As cookies bake, combine 1 cup powdered sugar with the lemonade drink mix (or 1 teaspoon of lemon zest, or both) in a large plastic bag and shake thoroughly to mix. When the cookies are removed from the oven and while they are hot, add 4 or 5at a time to the bag and shake it until the cookies are well coated. Repeat with the remaining cookies.

I loved these little cookies. You're right - they are very similar to the real thing!

Lori

• annie1992
    14 years ago

It's not cooked and it's not sweetened with sugar, but it was dessert:

Yes, I went to the local blueberry farm and picked 12 pounds tonight. I've been snacking on them since I got home. Well, actually, I was snacking on them while I was picking them, and they're a wonderful dessert.

Annie

• stacy3
    14 years ago

I made Lori's watermelon lime sorbet yesterday - it is fabulous. thanks Lori!

• pat_t
    14 years ago

LoriJean - that is EXACTLY the recipe I used, but I changed the amts. on it. I also didn't note my changes (shame!!!). I added a couple drops of lemon oil to the dough. And also to the sugar used to coat the cookies too. I didn't think of using the lemon juice in place of the water, but I'll definitely note that on my recipe to do next time. Thanks for that tip!

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

Stacy, I'm glad you liked it. Isn't it refreshing?!

Pat, I'll have to try using a little lemon oil next time. I like that idea!

Lori

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Dessert? Nah, it's supper, LOL. No, actually it was dessert for Bud and Makayla, and they helped make it.

We used to call this stuff Puppy Chow, now the Chex box calls them Muddy Buddies. Eh, whatever.

Makayla has to test the melted chocolate chips and peanut butter, before we added the cereal

After we tossed it all with powdered sugar, it looked like this:

{{gwi:1490595}}

My girls used to love this stuff, now Bud and The Monkey Princess do. I try to convince Amanda it's healthy, it has cereal and peanut butter, and chocolate is full of antioxidants. Yeah, she didn't go for it either.

Annie

• pfmastin
    14 years ago

lorijean44...your little lotus bowl is so cute!

Wow, everything looks amazing.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Lori, we must have been thinking along the same lines, I took some of those fresh blueberries and made some of Ann T's blueberry scones.

Of course, I never have cream, so mine got made with milk. I sprinkled the top with some coarsely ground basil sugar Elery bought on a whim and I couldn't think of what to do with, and it added a nice flavor.

I cut mine into rounds, so I can take some to a friend who is travelling back home tomorrow, road food!

Annie

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

Thanks, Pfmastin. That's one of my eBay treasures! :)

Annie, I still call it puppy chow. In fact, my recipe came from one of DD's friends before DD was married. It's still on the little post-it she wrote it on! I haven't made it in awhile. I'll make it to nibble on the next time my girlfriends come over. I love that you made the scones round. I like the idea of cutting them that way. I'll try that next time I make scones.

I tried a new (to me) recipe for cranberry-almond biscotti. Perfect with a cup of coffee or tea -

Lori

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Lori that biscotti looks lovely! Is that the Rick Gallop recipe I posted from the glycemic index diet back in Feb. 2007?
    I remember I had a terrible time trying to find dried cranberries, but it was worth it as they turned out so good.

Yours looks better than mine did at the time. :-)

I should make them again since they're a low sugar recipe.

SharonCb

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

No, Sharon. Actually it's a recipe I tweaked just a tad from JoyofCooking.com (added the dried cranberries and baked the sliced biscotti a little longer than the recipe suggested). It really is good!

Lori

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

Tracey, you know I'm another who is happy to see this post going on. I LOVE dessert! I'll take two of everything posted since my last time here! Great pics and recipes all y'all!

I'll share a couple that I took last month...

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. Mustang's (Cathy) recipe this time.

Ina Garten's Blueberry Crumb Cake.

Lori316 sent me those lemon coolers in a cookie exchange a couple of years ago. Love, loved those big time!

Lorijean...what flavor of cake mix for that ice cream recipe? I'll confess to eating cookie dough and cake batter while bakeing. I know for sure I would love that with the crushed malted milk balls added....probably without them too! Oh man!!

David

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

David, just a yellow cake mix. That ice cream is unbelievably addictive!

Your pie and crumb cake look delicious. I especially love the blueberry crumb cake. I've been eyeing that recipe - I need to make it... Soon!

Lori

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

Last night was Limoncello-Mint Sorbet with Blackberries. Have I mentioned I love my Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker?? ;)

Lori

• arleneb
    14 years ago

Does drool hurt keyboards?? If so, I may have a serious problem.

I've been lost in this thread for more time than I had to spend!! Copied many recipes and can't wait to try them.

Strawberries have been plentiful and cheap here this summer. Although we love the traditional Strawberry Shortcake with Bisquik-type "cake", I've been serving it with angel food cake instead -- almost every night, a torn-up slice of angel food cake, topped with Vanilla Bean or Double Vanilla ice cream, strawberries and blueberries.

I wonder if we'll ever get tired of it??

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

Thanks Lori! I put my containers in the freezer so I should be good to go this weekend.

David

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

You're more than welcome, David. You know I want to hear how it turns out, right?

Hostagrams, drool is definitely bad for your keyboard. I say keep a towel close by... I do! I love strawberry 'shortcake' using angel food cake. I just love the lightness of that cake and the way it really soaks up the strawberry juice.

I made oatmeal cookies for my brother and his family. I use the recipe on the Quaker Oats box, adding in dried cranberries and white chocolate chips. For the first time ever, I added in fiori di sicilia, a vanilla/citrus flavoring I purchased from the King Arthur website. I loved the very slight citrus-y background flavor it added.

Lori

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County