SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn5707

Novalis or other LVT many questions or hardwood???

lynn5707
13 years ago

Hi,

I have read most all the other forums regarding Novalis and we did purchase and use it in our guest room. It looks great, wasn't too hard to put down. There have been a few planks that did not stick & my husband is using glue on them. He had put luan down as subfloor over plywood before we put Novalis down. We have 3 (big) dogs, 2 cats, and 4 grandsons - oldest is 3 that have many trucks, trains, blocks, tools, etc when they are here which is often. :)

Naturally, we love the price of Novalis, love the look and ease of clean up. That room is not used very much. We are wanting to replace carpet & vinyl in our open living room, dining area, kitchen, laundry room and powder room. That is our whole first floor and it is all open. The house is on concrete slab, carpet in living room, vinyl everywhere else. We would like to use the Novalis, but I have a few concerns and wanted to start new thread on my concerns.

1. Is it possible to prepare the subfloor properly for Novalis? My husband had wanted to keep vinyl down and just remove carpet which was glued to cement. Not sure how to get smooth surface.

2. We live in Indiana and the vinyl on the concrete slab is cold. Is there a way to put something under Novalis to have it be not so cold?

3. How has Novalis held up after others have had it down for a few years. I realize this may not be our forever floor, but I don't want to redo it in a year or two.

4. What could we use on stairs to have wood look?

Does it sound like Novalis would work for our open area? Is there another vinyl that would work well. Would we better off to get one of the engineered hardwood floors? If we use engineered hardwood could the floor be warmer? I have been leaning towards vinyl in case of any water problems, washer, dishwasher or toilet.

Thanks for any insight. These forums are great. I have read and learned so much, but I haven't posted much.

Comment