SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yuliadc

Need advice: what flooring to put under carpet?

yuliadc
14 years ago

Dear all! I need your advice on the types of flooring materials that can be put under wall-to-wall carpet.

Our situation: We just bought a new condo (top floor of a high-rise building) that has old wood floors (oak squares). The floors are very squeaky is some places and need to be replaced soon. However, it's too expensive for us to do it all at once now, so we are thinking about just doing the bedrooms as they are the squeakiest. However, we will most likely put wall-to-wall carpet in the bedrooms anyway to minimize neighbor noise and to meet condo requirements.

My question: What types of flooring materials can be put under wall-to-wall carpet in place of old squeaky hardwood?

Ideally, I want to use something that (1) is not as expensive as hardwood, (2) can help reduce noise from below (cork?), and (3) does not need to be sealed or glued with anything stinky/toxic, so that we can move in as soon as possible or even do this renovation while we live there. I have a 1-year old, so definitely need something as healthy as possible.

Thank you very much in advance to all the helpful people on this forum!

Comments (3)