SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tjmb_gw

Beef Stew Recipe

tjmb
11 years ago

My local supermarket just opened this week after being wiped out from Sandy. I was able to buy a 5 lb. bottom round roast for .99 cents a pound and 5 lbs. of russet potatoes for .99 cents.

I'm thinking I'll cut the roast into a 3 lb. piece for pot roast but I'd like to cut up the other 2 lbs. for a beef stew. I've made beef stew before but they've always come out just okay.

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe that they love?

Comments (25)

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

For all of the recipes I've tried, and I'm sure I'll try others, my favorite is this simple one from a Farm Journal Cookbook and the recipe my mother often made. I like this recipe because you don't dredge the meat first when you brown it, and the "don't dredge first" method in one they subscribe to at America's Test Kitchen. I'll never dredge the meat first ever again after trying this method. Brown the meat in small batches and don't over-crowd the pan for the best results. Patience will pay you great dividends in the end ;-). -Grainlady

BROWN STEW

(Brown the meat "slow and deep" to achieve top flavor.)

3 T. fat
    1 clove garlic, cut in half
    2 lbs. beef chuck, cut in 1-1/2" cubes (I like small 1/2-3/4-inch cubes, so that's what I use)
    2 t. salt
    1/4 t. pepper
    1 t. Worcestershire sauce
    1 t. lemon juice
    1 small bay leaf
    4 c. hot water
    3 medium potatoes, cut in halves
    4 carrots, cut in thirds
    1 c. celery (in 1-inch pieces)
    1 c. cooked lima beans
    1 c. cooked peas
    1/4 c. flour
    1/2 c. water

Heat fat in Dutch oven, deep stew pan or large fryer. Add garlic and meat. Brown meat on all sides in hot fat.

Add salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, bay leaf and 2 c. water. Cover. Simmer 2 hours; stir occasionally.

Remove bay leaf. Add 2 c. water, potatoes, carrots and celery. Continue cooking 30-minutes or until vegetables are done. Add beans and peas.

Blend together until smooth 1/4 c. flour and 1/2 c. water. Stir into liquid to thicken.

Makes 8 servings.

Feel free to use other vegetables. I normally add whatever I have on hand. I'll use freeze-dried or frozen vegetables.

• triciae
    11 years ago

Hi tmjb!

For me, beef stew never comes out exactly the same way twice because I tend to use what's in the fridge but here's a basic outline I follow.

Beef Stew

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, for sauteeing plus more to drizzle
    3 tablespoons butter
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 to 3 pounds chuck roast, cut into 2-inch pieces
    Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 bottle good quality dry red wine (I use Burgundy)
    8 fresh thyme sprigs
    6 garlic cloves, peeled & smashed
    1 orange, zest removed in 3 strips
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    2 bay leaves
    2 1/2 cups beef stock (homemade is better but boxed is fine)
    9 small red potatoes, scrubbed clean and cut in half
    1/2 pound carrots (about 4-6 depending on size), peeled and sliced
    2 cups frozen pearl onions, a large handful
    1 pound white mushrooms, cut in half
    1/2 pound frozen peas
    Fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped, for garnish
    Horseradish Sour Cream, recipe follows, for garnish

Directions

Preheat a large heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat with the oil and butter.

While the pan is heating, arrange the flour on a large dish. Season the cubed beef with some salt and freshly ground black pepper and then toss in the flour to coat. Shake off the excess flour and add the beef chunks in a single layer to the hot pan, being careful not to over crowd the pan, you might have to work in batches. Thoroughly brown all of the cubes on all sides. Once all the meat has been browned remove it to a plate and reserve.

Add the wine to the pan and bring up to a simmer while you scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon being sure to loosen up all those tasty bits. Once the wine has gotten hot add the browned meat, thyme, smashed garlic, orange zest strip, ground cloves, freshly ground black pepper and salt, to taste, bay leaves and beef stock. Bring the mixture up to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook uncovered until the liquids start to thicken, about 15 to 20 minutes. Cover and cook on low heat for 2 1/2 hours.

After 2 hours add halved potatoes, sliced carrots, pearl onions and mushrooms, along with a pinch of sugar to balance out the acid from the red wine. Turn the heat up slightly and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes more, until the vegetables and meat are tender. Add the frozen peas during the last minute of cooking. Season with salt and pepper and remove the thyme sprigs.

To serve, place the stew in a soup bowl, garnish with parsley, drizzle with olive oil and add a dollop of Horseradish Sour Cream.

Horseradish Sour Cream:

1 cup sour cream
    1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
    Olive oil
    Salt and pepper
    Chives, finely chopped, as garnish

Combine sour cream, prepared horseradish and a drizzle of olive oil in a small bowl and mix until thoroughly combined. Season with salt and pepper. Add a dollop of the mixture on top of the stew and garnish with chopped chives.

/tricia

• Related Discussions

Easy tomato-based beef stew?

Q

Comments (11)
    My Mom often asks me to make the V8 stew, it is her favorite. Beef stew with V8 From Better homes and gardens new cook book 2 TBL all purpose flour 1 pound beef or pork stew meat 2 TBL cooking oil 3 ½ cups vegetable juice cocktail ½ cup chopped onion 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon granules 2 cloves garlic, minced ½ tsp dried basil, crushed ½ tsp dried thyme, crushed 2 ¼ cups cubed, peeled potatoes 2 cups sliced carrots 1 cup sliced celery Place flour in a plastic bag. Add meat cubes, a few at a time, shaking to coat. In a large saucepan or dutch oven brown meat, half at a time, in hot oil. Return meat to saucepan. Add juice cocktail, onion, bouillon granules, garlic, basil, and thyme. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover, simmer 1  1 ¼ hours for beef (30 minutes for pork) or till meat is nearly tender. Add potatoes, carrots, and celery. Cover; simmer 30 minutes more. Skim fat. Makes 4 main dish servings. My notes say use 1 ½ lbs beef, 1 ¼ cups potatoes, 1 cup carrots. We prefer more meat and less veggies at our house.
    ...See More

Allspice in beef stew? GROSS!

Q

Comments (16)
    I have no problem omitting spices that I think I will not like in a savory dish. Then I might try adding a few grains of the spice in one serving, but I would not risk ruining a whole pot with something that I know I don't like. There are a lot of Italian and Lebanese dishes that add nutmeg to them, and I really prefer the dishes without the nutmeg, but sometimes I will add in just a few grains. I think nutmeg ruins a spinach dish, but I can tolerate a small amount of it in ground lamb or kefta. The one cuisine that breaks the rules that really works for me is Indian, and I will use cinnamon and cardamom in savory dishes (in small amounts) and still appreciate the combinations of flavors, but these are extremely complex spice combinations. I do not like any cinnamon at all in Thai curry, and I always check ingredients before I buy pre-made Thai curry - otherwise I just make it myself. I do like ginger in savory dishes, but that is very different from cinnamon and allspice. I do not like cloves in ham either, BTW. Mole is one of those Mexican dishes that I really dislike, and it is ubiquitous in Oaxaca (or used to be), and I would have the most difficult time finding a restaurant in Oaxaca that I would like. I used to spend quite a bit of time in Oaxaca, shopping and visiting ruins, and so when I would find a restaurant there that I liked, I would always go back to it. I can take mole is small doses if it is not too sweet, but it really does nothing for me. The last time I was in Oaxaca, there was a much better variety of restaurants - it reminded me a lot of Santa Fe. I like to make my own BBQ sauce also and leave out cinnamon, allspice, or any other spice I do not like. Texas BBQ does not use those spices and relies on the chilies for most of the flavor. Lars
    ...See More

RECIPE: Ultimate Beef Stew

Q

Comments (3)
    This is a good recipe, you should also try this one http://yobler.com/action/viewvideo/209/How_to_make_beef_stew/ Here is a link that might be useful: Beef Stew
    ...See More

Ideas for my new Le Creuset!

Q

Comments (14)
    My new obsession for mine is stovetop lasagne. Maybe someday I will get to doing bread in it. Meanwhile, here's a link to a Web site I am working my way through. If I could afford the book I would get it. One Pot Meals from Martha Stewart Skillet Lasagne Before starting the meat you can make a mirpoix of oil, onions, carrots and celery if you want, or some green pepper and mushrooms, whatever you would like in your pasta sauce, but if you use a jarred or canned sauce you don't have to do this, particularly if your sauce already contains onions, etc. So however much you want to flavor it up or not depends on your taste and time. Add garlic towards the end of this step if you want some. 1-2 tsp. is probably enough. I use the lower end of the garlic spectrum. Brown a pound of some type of protein. Most recipes call for ground beef but I used ground turkey and next time I make it I may use a mix of meat and beans, or perhaps some veggie crumbles, and I'll bet you could use part italian sausage for flavor it you're a big meat eater. Salt the meat to your taste as it is browning. If the meat is fatty, drain before proceeding with the dish. Add 1 large jar canned spaghetti sauce or Italian flavored tomato sauce. You need 26-28 fl. ounces of the sauce, so use whatever you have on hand that will equal that amount. I used a 24 oz. jar of Ragu spaghetti sauce and 2 oz. of my own home canned tomato basil sauce. You could also use canned tomatoes and canned tomato sauce, tomato paste, etc. to get the desired amount. Season to your taste with italian seasoning if you like. I tend to do this because I find store bought sauce bland, and if I am making the sauce from just plain tomato sauce, then I want a lot of seasoning. Add 1 1/2 cups water. When mixture is boiling lightly, add 3 cups pasta (you don't want a hard boil because too much of the water might evaporate if you do that, and then the pasta will stick--ask me how I know!). The pasta I used was broken up lasagne noodles and then some campanelii to supplement to 3 cups. You could also use mafalda ribbons. Cook the pasta for about 15 min. Test for pasta being done. Your water should be absorbed and the sauce thickened. Watch out, since this dish actually might get too thick if you're not careful. You can always add more water to it if it starts to get too thick. While the pasta is cooking, make the ricotta topping. The recipe says to use 16 oz. of ricotta, which is a typical container (although mine was 15). For my taste, this is too much, but your mileage may vary. Mix this with about an equal amount of chopped frozen spinach. I had a 16 oz. bag, which I used about half. If I had a 10 oz. package I would use it all. Mix the ricotta and spinach with 1/3 cup grated parmesean, a healthy pinch of basil or oregano or italian seasoning, and 1 TBSLP dried parsley if you have it. If you hate spinach you don't have to add it, just plain ricotta is fine, and if you have some other type of vegetable you would like ti mix in, like kale or shredded zuchinni or something else, by all means do it. When the pasta is done, mix up the casserole to make sure the meat, sauce and pasta are evenly distributed. Spoon the ricotta mixture on top of the casserole and cook 5-7 min. more until the topping is heated through. Then, top the dish with 1 cup of shredded mozzarella or italian style shredded cheese and broil for about 3-4 min. until cheese melts.
    ...See More
  • foodonastump
    11 years ago

May I tack on a beef stew question? Yes? Thanks!

I never dredge the meat, either, and I brown the meat in batches to get more browning and less steaming. Here's the question: By the time I get to the second batch, the "flavorful browned bits" from the first batch are pretty well "burnt, bitter, black bits" that I can't imagine would add good flavor when deglazed. As a result, I tend to wash the pan or dutch oven in between batches, keeping only the fond from the last batch. This is a step I've never seen discussed in recipes. Anyone else have this issue?

• User
    11 years ago

FOAS, you have the heat turned up to high. I also have found that meat browns better in a shallow pan, rather than a deep dutch oven.

I brown the meat in a cast iron skillet and add each batch to the dutch oven. I also saute some chopped onions or shallots in the drippings before deglazing with beef broth. This gets added to the dutch oven. Just means one more pot to wash. Not a big deal.

I don't dredge in flour either. I find the meat browns better without the flour.

I also like Dumplings with stew.

Like Tricia, my stew is a little different every time.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Beef Stew
    =========
    I like simple beef stews that are more brothy then in a thick gravy. I don't have an exact recipe as I usually just wing it. Here is basically what I do.

Brown beef chunks in some oil. Add some chopped shallots and a minced garlic clove. Cover with beef broth, add a bay leaf and a sprig of fresh thyme and simmer for until meat is almost tender. Add some whole small onions peeled, celery cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces and simmer for another 30 minutes and then add potatoes cut into large chunks, a couple of carrots cut into pieces, some fresh green beans, and some rutabaga cut into chunks. Simmer until vegetables are tender add some peas and then cook some dumplings on top. Serve in bowls. I find that beef used in stew takes at least 2 hours to become tender, depending on the size of the beef cubes and the cut of beef used.

Sometimes I add wedges of cabbage instead of turnip. You can also add other vegetables of your choice, ie. parsnips, sweet potatoes, etc..

• John Liu
    11 years ago

I'll contribute a rapido version using a pressure cooker, which I consider a useful tool for a stew lover.

1. Cut beef into 2" chunks, salt lightly, put a few tbsp oil in your pressure cooker and, high heat with lid off, deeply brown the meat, working in batches.

2. Pour off the excess oil. Add some red wine, scrape up the fond with a wooden spoon. Put the browned meat back in the cooker. Add not-too-much aromatics (garlic, onion, celery, don't bother to chop). Then add rest of the bottle of wine, enough to cover the meat.

3. Seal lid, bring to high pressure, cook 30 min at high pressure.

4. Open lid (put cooker in sink, run cold water down the side up the pressure drops and you can open the lid), remove meat, put your potatoes, carrots, and other veg into the cooker - they will be submerged in the liquid - place the meat on top. Seal lid, bring to high pressure, cook another 30 min at high pressure.

5. Open lid, remove meat and veg to a bowl, strain the liquid, and put strained liquid back in the cooker. Lid off and high heat, boil the liquid until it reduces to the thickness you desire. This will take about 30 min.

6. Put meat and veg back in cooker, turn to coat with the sauce and warm. Garnish and serve.

Herbs and spices of your choice can be added in step 2. I usually use rosemary or dill (because they grow outside). The twigs and bits get strained out in step 5. Use firm potatoes (red or gold, not russet) and cut your veg into large chunks lest they disintegrate into mush. If mushified veg remains a problem, shorten step 4 and lengthen step 3.

Total time will be about 2 hours. You can skip the reduction and instead dredge the meat in flour before browning in step 1, and stir in a slurry of flour or cornstarch into the liquid in step 5. This will shorten the time required to about 1 1/2 hours.

I am working on a way to shorten the process to 1 hour. But anyway, this allows you to get home and make stew for dinner.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Although an unpopular option, I find that when I brown in a non stick pan the fond sticks to the meat and not the pan so there is never the issue you have. However, when I do use a regular pan- anything not non stick, basically- the fond is left on the bottom of the pan and can burn with enough batches of meat. So, if it ever starts to look too dark, I deglaze, pour it all into a bowl, then start over with a cleanish pot. I also prefer frying pans for browning meat.
    As I am addicted to the dishwasher, multiple pots are ok with me.

• tjmb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone for the recipes!

I'll be making the stew this weekend and freezing the rest of the beef for the pot roast.

• pkramer60
    11 years ago

FOAS, turn the heat down on your pan and use two pans to brown. Saves time and no "second" browning.

John, in your 4th step, doesn't 30 minutes turn the veggies into a very soft state?

• John Liu
    11 years ago

The carrots are okay, the potatoes can be mushy, use bigger chunks - e.g. I only quarter the potatoes. 30 min on high pressure is equivalent to about 2 hours regular cooking.

• arkansas girl
    11 years ago

IMHO do not put cloves or allspice in stew unless you just really love that taste. Just recently I made a recipe I found in the Fanny Farmer cookbook for "old fashioned stew" which called for just a small amount of allspice...let's just say that ruined the whole pot of stew...gross! We ate it but did NOT enjoy that flavor at all. Next pot of stew I used the same recipe omitting the allspice and it was delicious. I'm pretty sure you can find that recipe google searching...I'd recommend it but don't put in the allspice!

• doucanoe
    11 years ago

Beef stew is one of those meals I usually just "wing it", using what I have on hand like Tricia mentioned.

That said, I have made this recipe a few times and it's delicious. I use a bit less wine and a bit more broth because Tim is not a big fan of red wine.

Hearty Beef Stew
    From Tasty Kitchen-asweetpeachef

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
    3 pounds Boneless Beef Chuck Roast, Cut Into 1-inch Chunks
    2 pinches Kosher Salt
    2 pinches Ground Black Pepper
    1/4 cups All-purpose Flour
    2 whole Carrots, Unpeeled And Quartered
    2 whole Celery Ribs, Quartered
    1 whole Medium Yellow Onion, Quartered
    10 cloves Garlic, Split In Half
    2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
    1/4cups Balsamic Vinegar
    3/4bottles Dry Red Wine (I Used Merlot, 750Ml Bottle)
    1 whole Bay Leaf
    2 whole Fresh Thyme Sprigs
    4 cups Beef Broth
    2 pounds Red Or Yukon Potatoes, Unpeeled And Chopped Into Bite-sized Pieces
    3/4 pounds Carrots, Unpeeled And Sliced Diagonally Into Bite-size Slices
    7 whole Cremini Mushrooms, Quartered
    For Step 1:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).

Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season beef chunks with kosher salt and ground black pepper. Pour flour into a shallow dish and lightly coat the beef with flour. Without crowding the meat place it into the Dutch oven and brown in batches, turning to brown all sides. You will have approximately 3-4 batches. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Continue until all meat is browned.
    Reduce the heat in your Dutch oven to medium and add the quartered carrots, celery, onion and garlic. Cook approximately 10-15 minutes until well-browned, stirring occasionally.
    Add tomato paste to the pot and mix to incorporate. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
    Add balsamic vinegar to the vegetables and stir to incorporate. Cook another 1-2 minutes.

Stir in the wine, bay leaf and thyme. Simmer until liquid is reduced by two thirds, approximately 10-15 minutes.
    Add beef broth to the pot, along with the beef (with any residual juices), and bring to a simmer. Cover and braise in the oven until meat is tender, about 2 1/2 hours.

Carefully remove the meat, thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Set beef aside and discard the herbs. Using a stick blender, blend the remaining contents in the pot (if you don�t have a stick blender, you can use a food processor or blender). After blended, return the meat to the pot and bring to a boil.

For Step 2:
    Add the potatoes, 3/4 pound of carrots and the mushrooms to the braised beef mixture, taking care to submerge as many vegetables as possible. Simmer, covered, until potatoes and carrots are tender, about 40-60 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Linda

• John Liu
    11 years ago

What, seven posts since the last picture? We must be slipping.

Step 2 here.

• compumom
    11 years ago

Here's one that's delicious from our friend Monique:
    MAHOGANY BEEF STEW WITH RED WINE AND HOISIN SAUCE from Monique
    Hoisin adds complexity to the flavor of the sauce. You can save some time �" and some tears �" by chopping the onions in the processor in two batches.
    4 tablespoons olive oil
    3 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed, cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces
    3 1/2 cups chopped onions
    2 cups Cabernet Sauvignon
    1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs, undrained
    1/2 cup hoisin sauce*
    2 bay leaves
    1 pound slender carrots, peeled, cut diagonally into 1-inch lengths
    1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over high heat. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. Add meat to pot; sauté until brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Push meat to sides of pot. Reduce heat to medium; add 2 tablespoons oil to pot. Add onions; sauté until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Mix meat into onions. Add 1 cup wine, tomatoes with juices, hoisin sauce, and bay leaves. Bring to boil.
    Reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add carrots and 1 cup wine. Cover; simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover, increase heat to high; boil until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes longer. Reduce heat to medium, add cornstarch mixture and simmer until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Season stew with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated. Bring to simmer before serving, stirring occasionally.) Transfer stew to large bowl. Sprinkle with parsley; serve.
    * Available at Asian markets and in the Asian foods section of some supermarkets.
    Makes 6 servings.
    Bon Appétit
    Entertaining Made Easy
    February 2002
    I add many more vegetables and spices we love..I cook it in the oven..slow 325 until I add the vegetables ..then 350.
    Or DH loves the Guiness Beef Stew recipe. Hearty but great depth of flavor. He won't touch a glass of Guiness, but added to the stew, it's a winner!

Irish Beef Stew (from Simply Recipes)

Beef stew recipe made with beef, garlic, stock, Irish Guinness beer, red wine, potatoes, carrots, and onions. An excellent, hearty stew.

Prep time: 15 minutes
    Cook time: 1 hour, 50 minutes

Ingredients

1/4 cup olive oil
    1 1/4 pounds well-marbled chuck beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces (NOT extra-lean)
    6 large garlic cloves, minced
    6 cups beef stock or canned beef broth
    1 cup of Guinness beer
    1 cup of fine red wine
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon dried thyme
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    2 bay leaves
    2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
    3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 7 cups)
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled carrots
    Salt and Pepper
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Method

1 Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Lightly salt the beef pieces. Working in batches if necessary, add the beef (do not crowd the pan, or the meat will steam and not brown) and cook, without stirring, until nicely browned on one side, then use tongs to turn the pieces over. Continue to cook in this manner until all sides are browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add beef stock, Guinness, red wine, tomato paste, sugar, thyme, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves. Stir to combine. Bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, then cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

2 While the meat and stock is simmering, melt butter in another large pot over medium heat. Add potatoes, onion and carrots. Sauté vegetables until golden, about 20 minutes. Set aside until the beef stew in step one has simmered for one hour.

3 Add vegetables to beef stew. Simmer uncovered until vegetables and beef are very tender, about 40 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Tilt pan and spoon off fat. Transfer stew to serving bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with parsley and serve. (Can be prepared up to 2 days ahead. Cool slightly. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, then cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer before serving.)

Yield: Serves 4 to 6.

• John Liu
    11 years ago

And . . . dinner time!

I know, the sauce looks weirdly reddish. Blame the beets.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I'll add my crock pot version...which also varies depending on what and how much vegetables I have around.

2 lbs stew meat
    1/3 c. flour
    1 t salt
    1/2 t pepper
    2-3 carrots, sliced
    2 lg stalks celery, sliced
    1 onion, coarsely chopped
    2 white or yukon gold potatoes, unpeeled, chopped
    1 bay leaf
    1 t dried basil
    1-2 tsp worcestershire sauce
    1 can beef broth (14 oz)
    1/2 c red wine
    1 can petit diced tomatoes (14 oz), drained
    Optional 1or 2 of: green beans, mushrooms, corn, peas, lima beans
    -----
    1/4 c flour
    1/4 c water
    kitchen bouquet or gravy master

I get the raw vegetables started in the microwave ... in a large bowl and zap for 5-8 min, otherwise they seem too hard yet at the end. Then put in the bottom of the crock pot. Add bay leaf. Toss the meat with the flour mixed with the salt and pepper and add on top of vegetables. (You can brown it first, but I never seem to need to, so I don't.) I mix the wet ingredients together with the basil and the tomatoes and then pour on top. Stir to combine.
    Cover and cook on low for 10-14 hrs or on high for 4-5 1/2 hrs.

One hour before serving, turn crockpot on high. Mix flour and water till smooth and stir into crock pot juices to thicken gravy. Just before serving, taste and adjust seasonings.

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

I struggled for years to come up with a good beef stew. What I have found to be essential is a pressure cooker and the right meat.

The meat has to be chuck or short ribs (for the very best beefy flavor) and not too lean of cuts, either. If I've found a good price on short ribs, I pressure cook them and remove the bones and de-fat the broth. With chuck, I cube it, brown the meat (no flour), pressure cook, defat the broth and continue. (20 minutes pressure cooking time.)

Add celery, bay leaf chopped onion, carrots & potatoes, fresh/ frozen green beans, if I have them. Additional stock (beef or chicken broth), if needed. Either some BV or Kitchen Bouquet or a dab of Vegemite. If you have bits of leftover tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce, you can toss that in, too, but you don't want 'a lot' of tomato product in there.

Then I pressure cook the veggie additions (15 minutes) and use the quick release method.

At this point, I add cabbage chunks and canned green beans if I don't have fresh or frozen ones available. I do like to add a pinch of allspice sometimes or, alternatively, a teaspoon or so of mixed 'pickling spice' that is tied into a bag or put into a tea ball. (The key to using allspice is to be very, very conservative. If you can identify the taste of the spice in the finished product, you've added too much.) Also, a goodly am't of freshly ground black pepper. Let simmer until the cabbage is soft and creamy.

Any leftover beef, pork or chicken gravy that I might have gets tossed into the pot somewhere along the way, too.

• chas045
    11 years ago

I didn't think I had anything to add after all you serious cooks, but I believe that my beef stew is very tasty and after reading all your posts, I see that I do several things differently.

Not knowing anything different, I shake my cubed chuck in flour with salt, pepper and usually (I know you guys are going to run for the hills) At Least as much MSG as pepper. I brown the cubes in oil and bacon grease. I always have my bacon strainer/saver at the ready when I make bacon! I haven't noticed any serious burning/sticking issues.

After browning, I deglaze with some red wine and cover meat with water and simmer several hours with a few whole cloves, perhaps some oregano and a California bay leaf. Yes, I know it isn't the Greek stuff but it actually has some flavor (and I had it in my yard until I moved)! During the last hour( perhaps more for the onion), I add a cut up onion and lots of cut up potatoes, carrots and the last difference from you all, a more cut up turnip. I use the russet type potatoes. I suppose using the red or gold ones would work if added later. When done, the initial flour has thickened without addition.

• annie1992
    11 years ago

I also don't care for the allspice/cloves flavor, and I don't want tomatoes in my beef stew, so my recipe is much like Grainlady's, and it very coincidentally also comes from Farm Journal.

I usually make the stew in my cast iron dutch oven, as I sometimes add dumplings but more often bake biscuits on top of the pot of stew. Cook it until it's done, add the biscuits to the top and bake until brown. Grandma always did stew like that, so I do too.

Annie

• annie1992
    11 years ago

I also don't care for the allspice/cloves flavor, and I don't want tomatoes in my beef stew, so my recipe is much like Grainlady's, and it very coincidentally also comes from Farm Journal.

I usually make the stew in my cast iron dutch oven, as I sometimes add dumplings but more often bake biscuits on top of the pot of stew. Cook it until it's done, add the biscuits to the top and bake until brown. Grandma always did stew like that, so I do too.

Annie

• cynic
    11 years ago

Most stew recipes are basically similar, adapted more to personal preference. One of the first successful stews I made was based on Marcia Adams' Cooking from Quilt Country Amish Beef Stew. I liked the show. The recipe sounded easy enough and it turned out great. I can't find the exact recipe but I can dig out the book and post it later. In the meantime here's an adaptation that sounds quite close to the original recipe as I remember it. I know I didn't add the allspice. I used Italian Seasoning in place of most of the other spices along with some Lemon Pepper and garlic salt. I think I also used some beer in place of some of the water.

• John Liu
    11 years ago

For a twist, I made SWMBO a beef stew sandwich. Sliced pieces of meat and veg, layered on toasted bread, sauced, and cut in half to make it not-to-messy.

• cj47
    11 years ago

I made up this recipe for stew one year during Milwaukee's Summerfest, so I call it Beef Festival. It's not quite traditional, but we like it.

Beef Festival

2-3 Lbs beef chuck roast, cut into bite sized chunks.
    2 good sized cloves garlic
    3 or 4 onions, large dice
    2-3 healthy sized tsp of Paprika, if you have smoked, you can replace some or all of the paprika with that.
    1 healthy sized tsp of Bouquet Garni (Penzey’s)
    1 tsp sugar
    1 tsp plus a coupla shakes of Worshestershire
    salt to taste
    pepper to taste
    1 or 2 bay leaves
    beef broth or water, about 4-6 cups, depending on how thick you like your stew
    4 or so strips of bacon
    3-4 good sized potatoes, cut to whatever size you’d like
    8 carrots, cut in good sized chunks to cook at the same speed as the potatoes
    4 ribs celery, large dice
    parsley

Brown bacon, remove from pan. Then brown beef in bacon fat with the paprika, onion and garlic till the onion is just getting limp. Toss into a pot with the broth and add veggies and spices. Cook till everything is tender, adding water or broth to make it as soupy or thick as you like it. Thicken with flour/water if you prefer. This also works fine with pork. **If using a pressure cooker, cut the veg into larger pieces and leave the garlic whole. Bring to high pressure and cook for 15-20 minutes, less if your beef is cut into smaller chunks, more if it’s bigger. Turn off the heat and let the cooker depressurize naturally. This will result in a more tender beef. I know, this is contrary to Johnliu’s recipe for pressure cooker stew, but after reading and a little experimentation, I’ve found it to be a system that works for me. If the potatoes end up a little mushy, it really doesn’t bother me, but if it might bother you, cut them bigger or add them in stages. Reduce your broth if desired, or add thickener after pressure is released.

Stew is such an individual thing�"I like lots of veggies, and I don’t care for peas. So there are lots of carrots and potatoes and no peas in mine. :-) I’ve been known to chuck in some green beans, cabbage, or whatever is in the fridge after the pressure is off, during broth reduction.

Cj

• bob_cville
    11 years ago

This post must have been simmering in my brain. I found a 3.5 lb chuck blade steak in the freezer that my wife had bought at a local grass-fed-beef farm, that was starting to get freezer burn, and immediately thought "beef stew". My usual recipe is similar to many of the above, but one difference is I use a dark beer for deglazing the pan. Perhaps because of the really good beef the stew was the best I've ever made. Also I love the suggestion someone made here about browning the meat in several separate pans at the same time, rather than sequentially in the same pan.

Beef Stew

3.5 lbs Beef (cut into 3/4" cubes)
    3-4 Tbsp oil
    2 medium onions (chopped)
    2 Tbsp flour
    10 oz dark beer (stout or porter)
    1 cup red wine
    1 15oz can diced tomatoes
    1 6 oz can tomato paste

1 bay leaf
    12 whole peppercorns
    3 whole cloves
    1 Tbsp crushed garlic
    2 Tbsp dried Parsley
    1 Tbsp Better-than-bullion concentrate

4 medium yukon gold potatoes (cubed)
    3 carrots (cut to 3/4" lengths)
    1 sweet potato (cubed)
    8 large white mushrooms (sliced into wedges)
    1/2 cup peas

Pat beef dry, heat oil in several separate pans, and brown beef in each of the pans. Dump meat into a dutch oven over medium heat, sprinkle the flour over the meat and stir well.
    Next deglaze each of the pans using the dark beer, scraping up all the browned bits, and add beer to the pot with the beef. Also add the red wine, the diced tomatoes (including the liquid), the tomato paste, the garlic, bay leaf, peppercorns, cloves, bullion, and parsley to the pan.

Cook the onion in one of the pans until translucent, add to pot, bring to a low simmer cover and cook for 60-90 minutes.

After about an hour, test the meat for tenderness. When the meat reaches the desired tenderness, start a separate pot of water and cook the potatoes, the carrots and the sweet potatoes in the separate pot on high. At the same time add the mushrooms and the peas to the stew.

When the potatoes and carrots are cooked, add them to the stew, reserving the water used to cook them. Add a cup of so or the potato water to thin the stew.

Serve with crusty bread.

• annie1992
    11 years ago

OK, that does it, now I have a serious beef stew craving.....

Annie

• compumom
    11 years ago

Bob, that sounds terrific!

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert