SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrabbot_gw

Wide-board drying time prior to installation? Need quick answer

jrabbot
14 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Thank you in advance for answering my question - I am need of a quick answer.

Our subcontractor is starting to install flooring today. It is white oak random width wide board flooring to be installed over radiant floor heating. It has been hand planed and kiln-dried. Some of the flooring arrived in our unheated garage about 2-3 days ago and was stacked on a plank of wood on the garage floor (which has some moisture on it). Some additional flooring arrived yesterday (which was stored at the sub's radiant floor heated home)-this portion of floor will be used to do the first install in the upstairs MBR - starting today.

I have read and heard that the flooring should be acclimated to the house that it will be installed in for 2 weeks prior to installation. I am concerned that this is not the case and that I will then have gaps after it dries further.

My questions-

What is the proper time and guidelines?

What is a reasonable gap between boards after it has been installed? I know that it should be tight when they install it but what about after it dries further in the house?

I have confidence that they will do a good job with install but am concerned that it may not be completely dry.

Again, many thanks for help that you can offer.

Comments (7)