SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Any new Ghosts/Spirits stories? I have one!

Oakley
12 years ago

We talk about this subject about once a year and I find them fascinating. Here's my latest "encounter."

Last night was a very tornadic night in OK. Almost a year ago this May an F5 touched down about a mile from my son's house..he lives about 20 min. from me. The storm was devastating. Flattened homes and killed two children in one family.

I was on call for a neighbor and my son last night, and my DH who was snoozing on the sofa. lol.

It had been storming all evening. At 1:15am I was watching the weather updates on TV, and then my phone "dinged."

Every few months the phone in the bedroom will give out one little "ding." I usually blow it off. But when it did it last night, for some reason it kind of freaked me out.

I fell asleep and suddenly woke up at 2am. I decided to turn the TV on. I'll be darned, a tornado was on the exact same path going to my son's house like last May.

I called my son and told him to turn the TV on. I couldn't go back to sleep because I was worried.

About an hour later he sent me an email telling me "Thank you!" They had gone to the cellar. I told him how I was sleeping and I just woke up for some reason. He told me, "Someone woke you up."

Then I told him about the phone dinging and now we're both convinced one of our loved one's was with me and wanted me to call my son. Also, once I finally did go to bed, the phone dinged again. It never does that!

I smiled and said goodnight. :)

Have you all experienced anything unusual lately?

BTW, I've seen a ghost here (there used to be an old farmhouse on our land) and my son's experienced a ghost during the night once, so I'm a firm believer.

And more tornados are expected tonight. But bigger ones. Freaky.

Comments (25)

• yayagal
    12 years ago

I'm with both of you on this one. I believe and have so many stories I could write a book lol.

• Related Discussions

Anyone growing Ghost Spirit?

Q

Comments (13)
    Mine is a total dud. Not only is it slow, but it isn't true to form. I bought it online through a reputable seller two Springs ago. Received one dormant eye, potted it up, when it leafed out there was no misting/speckling. I didn't know any better, thought it would grow into it. The nice folks here on this forum informed me that if wasn't speckled by now it never would be. So, I call it 'Ying and Yang', all the leaves are half green and half white (its cool in its own way). At some point I'm going to try again with a new GS, hopefully second time will be a charm and it'll be true to the OS. Good luck!! PIM
    ...See More

H. Ghost Spirit

Q

Comments (12)
    lavendargrrl I am so pleased with it that I picked up another one for the front of my house for a garden I am about to plant in the front of the house. I think I should change my forum name to Hosta Horder lol. :) Thanks for all the comments and pictures, would love to see more photos.
    ...See More

Ghost Spirit

Q

Comments (7)
    "2 out of 3 ain't bad" - anyone know what I am referring to? :) Anyway, I will check the price and if it is reasonable, I will give it a go. It is very unusual and I like those. Thanks for the pics and comments. Paula
    ...See More

One Story 5 bedroom house plans on any websites??

Q

Comments (67)
    We had what they call a Jack and Jill room for our girls and it did work out. It was a larger that usual bedroom, with a folding type door down the middle. Each girl had their own closet, bed, etc but if they want privacy, they just closed the ""wall"" down the middle. Maybe your 5&6 year old could have that type of arrangement. Cool concept. I once saw a picture of a large room shared by two children ... and in the middle of the room they had a bunk bed ... but the lower bunk opened to the right side of the room, while the upper bunk opened to the left side. But it takes a LARGE room to pull off such a thing. However, I could see it as "future proofing". You could build a room like this to be shared by two children now, and when they're adults the room'll be big enough to hold a queen or king bed for when your kids visit with a spouse in tow and a twin bed is no longer enough.
    ...See More
  • natesgram
    12 years ago

Oakley, any advice for a overly concerned mom? My son (and his family) is in Oklahoma City on business with a 3-6 month contract. They are staying in hotel suites that have a safe place in the basement. We are from Calif. so this is new to us. I am glued to the tv and the net and not getting much sleep. I know we have no control over where/when something happens but it's still scary to know that most likely this weekend is going to cause a lot of damage somewhere. I didn't mean to hijack this thread. I do believe in angels that ding phones too.

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

I used to talk to a ghost in the up stairs bedroom of my grandmother house when I was a child. As a young teen I used to draw him but it didn't dawn on me at the time that it was the shy young-ish farmer I used to summon and see.
    Most of my happenings involving ghosts or messages usually come to me in dreams or nighttime awake visits. My last round of very vivid dreams where I felt the strong despair of the deceased and saw everything in great detail was over a man who almost ten years later came up missing near the same area my deceased brother was last seen. In those horrible dreams I could even smell the dust in the cabinet storage area and feel the fear and saw clearly, light beige laminate flat doored cabinets stacked. I have only been to the town twice as I'm four states away. Anyway, the dreams where so strong I took a chance at sounding like a nut and told a member of the community in that town. She was shocked to hear because the description was all too familiar and one she had heard from a psychic she knew several states down south west. I eventually talked to this woman and we had had the same exact dream with the only difference being that she thought the cabinets looked more metal.
    I have actually had a few weird things happen in my life but usually choose to ignore and not open that door. If you open the door even a crack it is impossible to go about your day to day business as it is all consuming and horrible. What makes it even worse is that you can't talk about it for fear every one will think you're ready for the loony bin. What makes it even worse than that is that you can't make it happen when you want.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jt, are you saying you're kind of like John Edwards but it's only bad things you see, and it only happens in dreams? Is that the "door" you don't want to open? I hope you expand on this further, I find all of it interesting.

Mona, that's just amazing. I believe it because he's too young to know about that stuff. You ought to write it down for him, and give it to your son to keep. That would certainly make ME a believer! lol

Nates, go to KFOR.com before it gets stormy and piddle around with the weather section. They show live radar so you will know what's going on. If they have a basement to go to then don't worry.

The good thing about OK.'s Chief Meteorologists is we have the best in the world, they literally make millions of dollars & can predict these things way early.

If there are any tornado watches, KFOR will have it on their website.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Natesg, here is NOAA's radar. If you want to see which direction the storms are moving, at the top left, click on "Composite Loop."

Here is a link that might be useful: radar

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

No Oak, not saying anything of the sort in regards to "like an Edwards". It's just that I have had odd things happen and not when I'm looking for it unusually and never with those that are closest to me. To tell the truth I don't believe in such things most of the time. Maybe it's because I am leery of those who claim they can call it up at a moments notice and charge people money. That somehow seems wrong. How can they know if they are in fact right? That is all pretty confusing to me because if there are some who can truly do this "summon at a moments notice" I can't understand how they can call it a so called gift because any such experiences are far from pleasant most of the time. Plus, I think if one were to have such a gift it should be given back free of charge to help others and to free up the consuming disruptive and chaotic nature it could have on everyday life.
    Maybe if one were inclined to believe thereâÂÂs something to seeing visions, dreams or whatever and itâÂÂs a kind of communication with sprits, maybe it could be developed to a point where it could be summoned on demand. I just canâÂÂt understand why anyone would want to go deeper into...donâÂÂt know what to call it. I canâÂÂt imagine it all becoming enjoyable.

• yborgal
    12 years ago

I have a history of making comments that seem to have no foundation of truth to them, but later find out that they indeed were relevant. But I can't control my "predictions"; they just sometimes happen.

For example, we were driving in an outside lane on a major street in our city and there was a car in the inside lane neck and neck with us. The driver was driving normally, but I just had a feeling we shouldn't be next to this car. I told my husband to deliberately slow down because we didn't need to be next to this car as it was going to be involved in an accident.

He did slow down and that car went on to be positioned about 4-5 car lengths ahead of us. Within seconds, that same car was involved in a 3 car accident that sent cars spinning into both lanes. We would have been right in the middle of it had we been side by side.

Another time I was told about a"perfect couple" separating due to the husband's numerous affairs. The first words out of my mouth were, "OMG, he's gay". I don't know why I said this and he'd never given any indication that he was interested in the same sex. 2 months later the truth came out and he was gay. He was using the many prostitutes to try to prove to himself he was heterosexual.

We were scheduled to fly to another state for a business convention, but I had a dream that the plane would crash. I refused to go and we canceled the trip. Now, that flight didn't crash, but then I wasn't on it. What if my being a passenger would have been the reason for the crash? I just couldn't take a chance.

So, have I said too much and now ya'll think I'm nuts?

• neetsiepie
    12 years ago

My husband had been seeing a presence in our house, travelling from one side of the room to another for the last few weeks. He didn't say anything right away, but after the 3rd or 4th time he told me about it. The next day I found out that the PO of our house had died...around the same time DH started seeing this presence. We believe it's her, because she was very attached to the house when they sold it to us. She told us she chose our offer to buy the house because she knew we'd love it as much as she did, so leaving it wouldn't be as hard.

DH is also very good at knowing what people will say moments before they say it...and he will call me as I'm thinking of him. It happens far too much to be a coincidence.

I've not had any 'feelings' or encounters recently, but like Mona, if I have a hinkie feeling about something and it doesn't happen, I wonder if it's because I wasn't there when i would have been. We'd never know, would we?

Please continue to share your stories, I love to hear them. I have a cousin who is a medium...she can't turn it on and off and can't 'read' a person on demand, but she is very very sensitive to places and certain people.

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

The strangest thing happened a few weeks ago. I was sleeping upstairs, and because he's been snoring like a freight train, DH was sleeping downstairs. I awoke in the middle of the night and clearly smelled toast being made. Not burning - just the sweet aroma of toast in the toaster. I thought it odd, as DH is not a toast eater, but I rolled over and went back to sleep. The next morning I asked DH why he'd gotten up in the wee hours to make toast, and he said, "I didn't. I woke up and smelled it, and thought you were up making it." Clearly, neither of us had made toast (the toaster is not left plugged in when not in use) - but the fact that we both woke up and smelled it so plainly was just extremely odd. I Googled later that day, and found a good deal of discussion (apparently, if you smell burnt toast, it could signal you're having a stroke - but what we smelled was by no means a burning smell). I read something about older houses just "releasing" certain scent memories from time to time. I have to think that that's what happened in our house.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jt, can you give me an example so I know what you're talking about? Sounds interesting.

Mona, I believe in premonitions. I've dreamt the sex of my firstborn (I actually saw him in my dream), I dreamt the sex of both my grandchildren.

The strangest was last year. I dreamt someone came up to me and said my son has high blood pressure. He's only 33. I kept it to myself even though the dream was scary. He came over a week later and I told him about it. We got the BP kit out and he sure did have high BP! It was so high dh gave him one of his meds, sent him home with the kit and extra meds until he went to the doctor.

Jen, after I went to bed last week I woke up smelling bacon and eggs and thought dh was cooking them since he does that every now and then. Nope, he was watching TV and wasn't cooking anything!

• susie100
    12 years ago

I've seen and heard strange things, especially in the house I grew up in, which was used as a safe house for escaping slaves going north during the Civil War. But another strange thing was this: in the 1970's, there was a well publicized match race between two thoroughbreds, Foolish Pleasure, a colt, and Ruffian, the big, beautiful filly. Of course, being a horse fancier since childhood, I badly wanted Ruffian to win. The night before the big day, I dreamed I was floating high over the race track, and as I hovered over the finish line, I saw Foolish Pleasure cross the finish line alone. That was the race where Ruffian broke her ankle shortly after the race began and was ultimately put down as she couldn't recover from her injuries.

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

OMG, these stories gave me goosebumps . . . great!

Only one new ghost stories here lately. Thankfully, the Indian gentleman was talked into leaving and hasn't been back, as he was not a happy ghost! Our two happy ghosts (the couple who were like my second parents) don't come around much these days. At least, they don't make their presence known, if they do.
    But, last week before we left for Sedona, I got the call that our son's birthfather had passed on from pancreatic cancer. He had become a good friend in the past few years since we'd found him and DS was his only child. I was standing in the laundry room when I felt a wave of cold and dizziness move through me, all the while having this sense of happiness and peace. I knew our dear friend was there to say goodbye. When we'd talked last month, he told me that if he could pull it off, after he passed he was going to watch over our son (his and ours) in Afghanistan like another guardian angel. Our son is flying back there at this very minute and, in my heart I know that his birthfather is right there with him. Our son does, too. He's truly blessed to be loved by so many people.
    Lynn

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

You will think I'm a bit out there but I'll join in. Love spooky mysterious happenings!

I may have mentioned here before that I like to get out my tarot cards every few months and see what pops up. Numbers are mysterious and fascinating to me in that the principals of mathmatics are so ancient. I should add I am not a math whiz by any means.lol!

Anyway, I brought some really cute funky tin tarot signs into my store last year. A customer was looking through the display which was about six feet away from the counter I was behind.

I heard a rattling sound and looked up. The customer had dropped one of the signs and it slid across the floor, under the counter and landed at my feet. It was the sign for lovers.

So nosy me asks 'Does this mean anything to you?' She answers, 'I met a man and last night I realized I was in love with him.'

Hmmmm.....

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Have you ever been roaming around a store and felt the energy of another who is gifted? I use the word gifted which I do not like but only because I cannot think of another word that others will know what I mean. I was actually approached once in the parking lot after walking around feeling a particular woman's strong presence in the store, she gave me her psychic card incase I ever wanted to talk, she said.

Oak, I'm not sure what sort of example you want, maybe how it feels to have very detailed dreams? The kind where you are the person in the dream? If so, in those dreams you feel what the person is feeling, like fear, confusion, dread and resolve. You can see everything through their eyes and you can smell what they smell. When that happen's it haunts you all day and when time for bed the dream starts over. Sometimes it goes on for several nights. It's very disrupting to normal life. I hate it.

I prefer to be closed to it. I don't necessarily mean closed to what I consider to be somewhat normal premonitions that a lot of us have but most pay no mind to. Although I do occasionally come across a new friend who is into psychic phenomenon's and just being around such a person opens me up in the way that I become much more sensitive to others energy. When that happens I usually go full circle right around to wanting it closed because it's all too consuming and disruptive. You start feeling a bit like a freak. When I was a little girl I always knew what was ailing my younger brother and sister. I could feel their discomfort. My mom would get real flustered trying to get one or the other to stop crying and little me would say something like...mommy you have too many clothes on Chrissy and she's hot. Not wanting to take a five or six year olds advice my mom would try everything but what I said only to resort to my suggestion when all else failed. I was always right and it made her furious sometimes...well, most times.
    For those of you who think they might have the gift (hate that word) have you noticed that when you get that feeling of high energy (those that have it will know what I mean) that if walking at night peoples street lights or yard lights flicker or go off and on when you pass? Or, maybe everyone can do this, but can you rub dead batteries in your hands and get more life out of them?
    As you can tell by my ramblings I'm mostly ticked off about it all. A few years ago I got very strong feelings to start a FB page for my brother who was murdered as I was hoping for clues. Although I don't have the real strong kind of premonitions/dreams often you'd think I should be able to "see" something of my brother's death clues. But no, nothing! I did have strong dreams about another guy from the same area ten years later but nothing of my brother. I don't understand it all and think mostly it stinks. I have had people tell me I can develop my "feelings" more. I'm thinking that I will probably only feel much of the disruption side.

• mary_lu_gw
    12 years ago

I too am a believer.

Several weeks ago we visited our son and family. DL mentioned that our 3 yr old granddaughter has an imaginary friend. Not all that unusual. She talks to her, plays with her, etc. One day when DL went outside while GD was napping, she noticed something that gave her a start. They have a wooden play/swing/fort thingy. Anyway, there are 3 swings. 2 of the swings were hanging perfectly still, but the 3rd swing was swinging fairly hard. It was as though someone was actually sitting in the swing and swinging?

• leafy02
    12 years ago

I don't have any experiences with ghosts but I have had several dreams that I felt were clear messages that I needed to listen to. In one case, it wasn't the message I wanted so I wilfully ignored it, and boy was that the wrong thing to do.

I think a skeptic could say these dreams were created out of things I had picked up on subconsciously, so even though I didn't actively identify the "warnings" in my waking life, some part of my mind did. But even if that's the case, I appreciate my mind's putting it together in a format I can understand and believe in.

Unfortunately, while I have gotten these messages about some hugely significant events in life, I got no warning about the very worst traumas --which would have been totally avoidable/preventable if only I had known to stay home that day or whatever.

So, sometimes I feel like thanking my lucky stars for the times I have gotten the message, and other times I am just bitter that I did not get one at other times when it was very much needed.

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

This has been such a fascinating read!

• folkvictorian
    12 years ago

I don't have a ghost story, only one that makes you go "hmmmm".

My best friend from college, Robbie, comes to WI to visit about once a year. He grew up about an hour from where I live but now lives in California. About 25 years ago, Robbie's older brother married a wonderful gal named Kay who quickly became a dear SIL to Robbie. I met her a couple of times and she was a sweet, down-to-earth, funny, loving person. The family was devastated when Kay was diagnosed with brain cancer, but she survived for several years and went through several treatments before passing away. She and her husband had one son.

It's been about 15 years since Kay's death and every time Robbie visits, we talk about finding where she was buried, since Robbie would like to see her grave. He didn't remember much about the cemetery or church, so a few years ago, during his visit, we walked for about an hour through a cemetery about 10 miles from my house, since Kay and her husband lived in a small town near here. No luck, and Robbie's details are so vague, I didn't think we'd ever find the grave. Well, last fall he visited and I asked my boss if there was another cemetery in another town nearby. I didn't think there was, but she told me about one. We went there and as usual, Robbie thought this was "the one" and said he vaguely remembered her grave being near the back of the cemetery near the perimeter fence.

We drove into the cemetery and found it to be very large. We drove down the main road and Robbie looked and looked for anything familiar. When we got to the end of the road, we could see that the perimeter fence was a ways away and the graves weren't even close to it, so he was doubting this was the right cemetery, either. Well, he told me to turn at the corner and then finally he said to pull the car over so we could just get out and look around. I hadn't even had time to get out of the car before Robbie checked out the closest headstone and found it was Kay's. It still amazes me and I'm certain that we had some kind of "help" finding the exact location after all those years.

Here is a link that might be useful: a lucky break or what? :)

• golddust
    12 years ago

A couple weeks ago, my DS was just walking down the street when a stranger complimented her on her purse. Seeing my DS was friendly, the lady told her that she felt a very strong presence of a woman and a man surrounding her. She told DS she wasn't sure if she should say anything to her or not.
    My DS was in a May/December marriage for 35 years and our Mother favored her over all of us. They have both passed and DS has been going through some rough patches lately. My mom was very close to my sister's husband. The stranger could not tell her if the presences she felt were alive or dead.

• blubird
    12 years ago

Well....I've had several spirit visits and premonitions. Almost 7 years ago, my twin grandsons were born prematurely.

One of the babies had a problem with his bilirubin counts and it was approaching a dangerous level. He was scheduled at 7 days old to undergo a complete blood transfusion and they weren't sure if they were going to be able to use the umbilical cord vein, easier to use but which was drying up or if they'd have to use a vein, a much more difficult procedure - this in a 4 pound infant. We were all very nervous and the threat to his survival was very real.

We went to bed the night before the procedure,understandably none of us were getting any decent sleep, but at one point I must have dozed off. I awoke when I heard my deceased MIL talking into my ear saying, "The baby will be fine." I heard it as clear as a bell and all of a sudden I felt an enormous sense of calm wash over me. I walked into the hospital the next morning before the transfusion with the confidence that he would be fine and tried to convey it to others - also tried to explain it to them how I was so sure...needless to say they weren't quite convinced.

Fortunately, they were able to use the umbilical vein and the procedure went well. The bilirubin count came down. For the next year Jake had several more transfusions and made bi-weekly visits to the hematologists for two years, but we're quite happy to say that he is now a happy and healthy first grader.

Helene

• susie100
    12 years ago

My sister told this incident this evening: her son (my nephew), passed away unexpectedly a year ago last Mother's Day (May 10). He was 41. It was devastating, as this is the second child she has lost (a daughter died in an automobile accident several years ago). He had stored a lot of clothing and other items at my sister's home after his divorce and even though he was living with a his fiance at the time of his death, hadn't retrieved them. A month or so ago, my sister decided to donate his clothing to a local mission. When they took the bags of clothing to the mission, the street was completely deserted, and my sister stayed in the car and handed the bags to my BIL to give to the man who took them at the mission. All of a sudden, the car was flooded with the smell of John's cologne, even though there was absolutely no smell at all when she packed the clothes and when they were in the car. I've had the same auditory experience years ago when a fellow congregant was in the hospital. We were at home speaking with someone about this person when all of a sudden the room was filled with the scent of fresh roses, even though it was February and there were no roses in the house. This person passed away the next day.

• pugga
    12 years ago

Not a new story but a bit of a follow-up to a story I previously posted. Not to go into too much detail but my previous story was about an old, gnarled hand I saw reaching around a corner from my sister's bedroom when I was about nine years old. As an adult, I found out my sister had seen the same hand but she saw it reaching over her headboard. We'd never shared that until we were close to 30.

I recently was able to go through the house where this happened. The house was on the market for sale by owner and there was an open house my brother and I went to. We met the owner and he was very interested in a lot of things I remembered about living there. He has a son whose bedroom is my old room. His daughter has my sister's old bedroom. I got the impression his daughter is around five years old, his son a couple of years older.

Toward the end of our tour, I said "This might sound crazy but have your children ever said anything about seeing a hand?" My brother, I'm sure, was mortified that I'd bring this up.

He said they hadn't said anything but that his daughter is afraid to sleep in her room. He also half-jokingly asked if we thought he had to disclose this to potential buyers.

Could just be a normal childhood fear of the dark or similar but who knows?

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

Total believer. Great thread, and per usual, I am late to the party...

I loved reading each and every story. For those of you who've had experiences with long gone visitors to your home, or the dreams that jterri describes, signs, and/or other "happenings", have you ever read The Celestine Prophecy? Old book, great reference for being open to signs in our daily lives.

While haven't ever experienced a "someone" that I've seen in my home, I've had different signs, smells and premonitions similar to what Mona describes. Thankfully no dreams as jterri describes.

I totally get jterri wanting to keep this at arms-length so to say. We have friends who were very into asterial projection (pardon my spelling as the dictonary boxed up -cleaning my office). The practice was very popular in the 1970's, early 1980's. Unfortunately, one friend had a less than desirable spirit tag back with him into his real or "awake" life. Talk about all consuming, I remember it like it was yesterday and it wasn't good.

I think there are signs everywhere, it is only those who are open to recognize and acknowledge them, who benefit.

• katrinoricci
    3 years ago

I would like to share something bizarre which happened to me some time back. But it was all things to do with my nightmares. It all seemed real because as I found out later it was sleep paralysis. You know, it's when you feel what happens in your dream. But this dream was a nightmare. I was laying in bed when somebody walked in - he was like a shadow. He approached to me and simply was staring at me. Sorry, goosebumps!