SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcarch7

Pop! Goes Banana!

Often, the greatest inventions that changed the world came about by pure serendipitous ideas.

I wanted to make a banana bread. Then I got to be thinking, banana bread is good, but it will just be another banal banana bread like billions that had been baked before. How would I make one that could be brilliant, that would go down in history as the greatest banana bread that civilization had ever binged on?

"Flash!" A light bulb went on!

A few weeks ago a friend who is a research scientist at General Foods visited and gave me some Pop Rock candies (Angel dust, Pop candy). Some of you may be familiar with this fascinating candy, it is made with regular candy mix but with highly pressurized (600 PSI) CO2 incorporated. When you put the candy in your mouth, you will experience continuing micro co2 explosions tickling your tongue. Very interesting sensation.

It occurred to me that if I mix this gasified candy with the dough, together with the yeast action, and in accordance with Boyle's General Gas Law, I will end up with the fluffiest, lightest bread ever.

So I went into my laboratory (kitchen) and incorporated a copious amount of this Pop Rock candy into the rising dough. Meanwhile making sure that there will be sufficient volume in the crucible (oven) to accommodate a super-sized fluffy bread.

Half a pound of dough to rise,

Half a pound of bananas.

That's the way the bread goes,

Pop! goes in the candies,

Some anxious yet confident moments went by, the aroma of the banana bread beaconed that it was ready for the inaugural unveiling.

Voila! Here are the pictures of the world's very first Pop Rock candy energized banana bread!

Oh well, as you hence observed, not a darn freaking difference! It turned out to be just another humdrum banana bread. What a waste of time!

dcarch :-)

Comments (3)