SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deb2429

Curves For Women

deb2429
22 years ago

I did a search and read the one posting on CFW. I just joined today and am looking forward to my first workout. Is anyone else a member? Those that posted earlier this year, are you still going? If so, would you share your results?

One question ~ I was told today that 3x a week is plenty and that I wouldn't have better results coming 4-5 times a week. I thought that was strange - - do you find that true? Any posts appreciated. Thanks *Ã*

Comments (19)

• Bev30
    22 years ago

Debbi, I joined Curves last April. Since then I always went 3X per week, and more often 4X per week. The first month I lost some body fat, but gained 4lbs. The next month I lost those lbs. and the next I was down 2 more lbs. (I need to lose a lot more). From then on, nothing..no inches or lbs. I think the exercise is great, but no one in the group that I know of is losing weight unless they are on a diet too. Then they use Curves to help firm up. Curves has a weight loss plan, but I found it too costly, plus I don't do well drinking a meal. So,I like the exercise, but I don't have any great expectations now like I had at the start.

• deb2429
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Bev ~ thank you for your honest response, I appreciate your input. Yes, the reason I didn't go in earlier (to CFW) was because I thought you *had* to do their diet plus the workout. I've been Somersizing for over 7 months (have lost 60#) and wanted to add more exercise. I currently only do Body Flex every day. I wasn't interested in their diet plan or supplements (although I'm sure they're probably very high quality, but *way* too pricey for me).

So, if I understand correctly Bev ~ you haven't lost inches or pounds in the past 4 months? *Ã*

• Related Discussions

please rate Curves 30-minute workout center for women?

Q

Comments (2)
    I have several friends who go & they really like it. Not only do you get a good work-out, but the place is aimed at normal women & not the twenty-something hard bodies you find at so many gyms.
    ...See More

Do older women look better with short hair?

Q

Comments (150)
    Trailrunner, Jterrilynn, & Nance...thanks for the kind words! Golddust, I love your haircut. It enhances your pretty, delicate, heart-shaped face & high cheekbones. Adorable! Dlm, wow! You have great hair & look marvelous with it straight or curly! Nice to have options. I assume that's your DH & son? They are certainly handsome too! Beautiful family. LvrGolden, Mona, & Rose...all beautiful ladies over 50 with great hair! Oakley, I am dying to know what you think of your virtual hairstyling! I think Kelly found just the right do for you, and you know what? You really, really do look like Meg Ryan! You two have very similar features except that you are not scarecrow thin like she is (fortunately...'cause that's scary!) You would look great with layers around your face if you want to take baby steps toward shorter hair. I'd be delighted to get free advice too, if anyone has any suggestions. All feedback is good feedback. It can be hard to know what hairstyle options to pursue as we find ourselves no longer 25!
    ...See More

CURVES for Women--

Q

Comments (1)
    But I would miss the cameraderie(sp?) and upbeat, cheerful atmosphere at my Curves gym.
    ...See More

Curves for Women

Q

Comments (2)
    I belonged to a Curves two years ago. It involves circuit training where all the exercise machines are in a circle. You start on one and the taped music with female voice prompts you to move to the next machine. You stay at each machine 35 seconds. You are supposed to get a great work-out in less than 30 minutes. No child care that I know of, most places are very small. It was 29 dollars a month when I went. I had just about no results after 2 months. It is just not strenuous enough. By the time I left there were mostly much older women (I'm 43) going and enjoying the mild work-out. Why not walk in and watch for a while? You may like it, but I thought it was useless for me. Hope this helps! Gouda
    ...See More
  • Bev30
    22 years ago

Debbie, Right, I haven't lost inches or pounds in the last 4 months. And I have actually only lost 2 lbs cause the first 4 was a gain, then lost. I am disappointed, but yet, I am sure the exercise is good for me. I continue going but I don't have any high expectations. I hope that you will have more success with losses than I have. Congratulations on your weight loss. That is a truly something to be proud of.

• twalkco_yahoo_com
    22 years ago

I joined last March and I've had good results - lost 10 lbs in a couple of months without dieting. Since I'd been fairly sedentary before I started going, I built up some muscle and raised my metabolism right away. Because the workouts are brief they fit into my schedule without too much trouble. At my location we're encouraged to come every day if we can - I would question whoever told you you wouldn't get any benefits from coming more than 3x a week. I work out as hard as I can (frankly, some people there chat more than exercise), and I try to work out 4 times a week.

I'm doing their diet now, and I've lost another 10 in 3 weeks. I just decided to do their plan on the spur of the moment - really, any diet combined with the exercise would work. I'm not crazy about their diet (it's pretty low carb), but it's working so far, and I've gotten used to it. I substitute a small meal for the protein shakes.

If you go frequently, I bet you'll see some results quickly. Congrats on all the weight you've lost so far - I'm in awe.

• deb2429
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Thank you daff for replying. Today was day #2 for me and I agree ~ it's a good workout, at least for me it is! I was wondering that too ~ about working out more than 3 times a week. The only thing I wonder is that I've read you should rest your muscles for 48 hours after weight training, so I wonder if the same would apply for resistance training.
    I wish you continued success! *Ã*

• evainy_yahoo_com
    22 years ago

I have been going since January and have not seen much results. 3 times a week. I sometimes even go 4 times a week. I have noticed that I have been much stronger than I have ever been. I didn't lose very much and did not see much results other than probably 1 lb a month. I love the excercise though.

• Peaches2_02_hotmail_com
    22 years ago

I went 5 days a week. You can lose some inches but in my opinion, this is not a good exersize for weight loss. This is for muscle mass and toning. Anyone wanted to really lose weights needs arobic type to raise the heart rate. At curves, even if your heart rate gets going a little it doesnt stay in that "zone" long enough to lose weight.

If you want to tone up that is about all its good for.

• MargC
    22 years ago

I had joined Curves I thought for a year - although it doesn't state on my contract if I don't notify them in writing in advance that I want to cancel my membership they continue your membership and in my case continue taking money out of my checking account and bouncing my checks in the process. I have found out that although my contract doesn't state that I have to cancel my membership in writing and go to the facility where I joined and cancel there that my membership continues. I guess there is a little line on the form that I signed to deduct money out of my checking acct that states this - but I did not get a copy of this form so I did not have a clue.

Sorry, just a little venting after getting the runaround as I have because you see it is not their standard practice to refund the money after the fact

• jamie_mt
    22 years ago

Just a quick comment for those not loosing *weight* and gaining...if it's a good training program, you will be building muscle. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so while you may not be losing weight on the scale, you *are* losing fat and replacing it with muscle. Muscle burns calories even when you are at rest, which is why building muscle is the best way to lose fat (and it's also why most diets/etc don't work - if you don't have that muscle using calories all day, you'll easily gain back anything you lose).

So you may want to take that into consideration when looking at weight loss programs such as this one - *weight* (as in what the scale says) really isn't a good indicator of your overall body health - it's the ratio of muscle to fat that's important.

• telly2
    22 years ago

I just joined CFW two weeks ago, and my goal is to go 4X per week. They did recommend 3X, but they said the more I go, the better. I find that the best thing about it is that I can easily fit it in to my lunch hour (I take my exercise wear with me to work, and the location is 5 min from my office). I always feel refreshed and relaxed when I get back to work. Several women I work with go also, and a few have lost an impressive amount of weight within a year's time. My goal is to lose 10-15 pounds, but I also need to tone up pretty badly. In any case, it's affordable, and it fits into my schedule; I desperately need some form of exercise, and so far, this has been a good choice for me.

• deb2429
    Original Author
    22 years ago

It's been almost a month for me (on 11-19) and I'll post any weight/inch loss after I'm measured on the 19th. I am *realy* enjoying going to Curves, it's great for me. I'm definitely toning. Thanks for ALL the responses. *Ã*

• sanschult
    21 years ago

I just joined a CFW clone, because their hours are longer and the facility is nicer. The equipment is made by PACE and is hydraulic. Im not trying to loose weight just tone up and get some energy back . I'm nearly 60 and like the "go at your own pace feature" of this type of club. So far it isn't crowded and there is a masseuse on staff as well. I'm going 3X a week. I've belonged to two gyms and was tired of working out to loud rock music with preening male bodybuilders.

• sanschult
    21 years ago

I just joined a CFW clone, because their hours are longer and the facility is nicer. The equipment is made by PACE and is hydraulic. Im not trying to loose weight just tone up and get some energy back . I'm nearly 60 and like the "go at your own pace feature" of this type of club. So far it isn't crowded and there is a masseuse on staff as well. I'm going 3X a week. I've belonged to two gyms and was tired of working out to loud rock music with preening male bodybuilders.

• AnnahE
    21 years ago

I just joined today and had my first workout. I am trying to shape up and lose 20 lbs. I am disappointed to hear that many of you aren't losing weight on this program. The gal said that I absolutely won't be sore tomorrow because of the way the program and machines are structured. I walked out of the facility feeling just great. Well, I am so sore already that I can hardly walk! I know that I am out of shape, but this is crazy! I am not going to go tomorrow (they told me that 3x a week is what they suggest) but I will go back on Wednesday--if I can walk! LOL

• Linda352
    21 years ago

I've been considering checking out the new Curves that's opened here in town. I would only be interested in doing the exercise program. I am curious about how much it costs per month and if you can just pay on a monthy basis rather than signing up for a specific amount of time. I have heard about this bit where gyms like to have an acct. # so they can automatically take the $ out of your acc't and it's hard to cancel when you want to so I'd rather not have to go that route. I like the idea of a womans's only facility so would appreciate any one who can answer my questions. TIA......Linda/NJ

• jenn
    20 years ago

I joined Curves last month (end of May '03) and I LOVE it. It is truly the ideal thing for me.

In January of this year my schedule changed and I couldn't take my walks any more, and boy did I notice a difference. I'm about 30 pounds overweight but I'm tall and my weight is extremely evenly distributed (literally, from my face to my feet) so I don't look really heavy but my strength and endurance are very low. I knew I needed to start some form of exercise and began looking at every possible option, and ended up choosing Curves.

I go to Curves straight from work. My heart rate goes up within the first 10 minutes and stays there the rest of the time. After just 9 sessions (in 2-1/2 weeks, 3x a week), my resting heart rate is noticably slower which tells me I am getting a good cardiac workout. I'm not as winded when I go up stairs. And that's what is important to me -- not how much weight I lose, but how fit I am. At nearly 50 years old, strength and endurance are far more important (actually, at any age, they should be most important but I wouldn't have listened to that when I was younger, LOL). I'm also starting to notice that my heart rate doesn't go too high now like it did at first during the work-outs, another sign that I'm already in better shape. I believe that weight loss will eventually take place, since I need to lose weight (if I didn't really need to, I might not lose any). but right now my overall fitness is more important. Everything else will fall into place.

Curves is great for me in every way. A fun, cheerful, up-beat atmosphere (typical gyms are very visually unappealling to me), perfect for my schedule, and I look forward to it.

I don't diet and don't believe in it. I believe in eating healthy foods in moderation without unrealistic restrictions. Eating when I'm hungry and stopping when I'm full is best. I don't eat just salads and soup. I don't count calories. What I do is choose a salad and fruit instead of chips to accompany my sandwich -- because it is a healthier choice not because it is lower fat or "diet" food. It works for me and I can stay with that for the rest of my life. And sometimes, during special occasions, I'll partake in the chips and dip without going overboard.

BTW, the women at my Curves gym are all shapes, sizes, and ages. So, it is NOT just for overweight and/or older women. Anyone can enjoy and benefit from it. But like everything else, not everyone will like it. Hey, even chocolate isn't liked by everyone! :-)

Jen

• yborgal
    20 years ago

I joined Curves on June 2 and so far I have lost 7 lbs and 1 pant size. I'm thrilled with the program and hope to see more success in the future.

• socks
    13 years ago

Alston, no spam here.

Now...about Curves and not advertising...I joined a couple of years ago and went regularly for a year. It's a fine workout, friendly people, but I just got so bored with it,
    could not stand to go any more. Now I walk and do yoga.

• drama_queen95_sympatico_ca
    13 years ago

I joined curves aabout a month ago. I have not lost any weight but i have lost an inch around my waist. Is this bad for a curves program?

I am only 15 and joined because i wanted to look and feel my best, i hate being ashamed of my body...

Any tips for the program to see more results? no, i am not considering their weight loss plan.....

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville