Eat breakfast before exercising?

marie26

I just purchased an eliptical trainer and plan to use it for 30 minutes first thing each morning. Should I eat breakfast before working out? If I shouldn't eat a full breakfast, what type of food (if any) should I be eating and can I eat it just prior to exercising? Since I don't like water, I will be forcing myself to drink it while on the machine.

SaveComment3Like
Comments (3)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
devorah

I use an elliptical in the morning and I eat first. I don't know that it matters particularly if you eat before or after if you aren't prone to low blood sugar. I eat first because I am diabetic and exercise helps me to process my breakfast. If I wait, I lose much of the value of the exercise and I get so hungry that I eat too much to compensate. My neighbor does elliptical first, shower second, and breakfast third and that works for her.

Save    
sinead

I eat fruit for breakfast before exercising for more energy.

Save    
anathema

Eating before a workout can cause you to vomit.I usually have a glass of milk and something small such as a piece of fruit or a muffin. The milk keeps me hydrated and full. I also bake some muffins and freeze them. That way I can just defrost one or two in the morning.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Organizing Pre-Storage Checklist: 10 Questions to Ask Yourself Before You Store
Wait, stop. Do you really need to keep that item you’re about to put into storage?
Full Story
Pets What You Need to Know Before Buying Chicks
Ordering chicks for your backyard coop? Easy. But caring for them requires planning and foresight. Here's what to do
Full Story
Gardening Guides Make Sure You Read This Before Buying New Plants
Follow these 10 plant-selection tips to avoid buyer’s remorse
Full Story