SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_smith6227819

Do you eat breakfast foods for breakfast or can you eat anything?

Kathsgrdn
2 years ago

Some people don't eat breakfast at all. Some only eat breakfast type foods. I can eat anything. I had leftover chicken soft taco this morning. How about you?

Comments (56)

• Adella Bedella
    2 years ago

I don't like sweet foods for breakfast... cereal, donuts, pancakes, muffins, yogurt, etc. I can eat them later in the day, but not for breakfast. I can eat more of the traditional protein based foods like bacon, eggs, sausage. I can eat eat pizza or tacos or leftovers.

Kathsgrdn thanked Adella Bedella
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

Breakfast - or my first meal of the day - is my most significant one. I tend to be a very early riser and my first few hours awake are just fueled by caffeine. I prefer my coffee unadulterated by food :-)) I don't fix breakfast until somewhere 4-6 hours later but I do fix a full meal usually (unless I have an early appointment). I guess maybe 'brunch' is a better name for my first meal of the day!

I tend to eat mostly breakfast type items - eggs, bacon or sausage, toast, etc. But sometimes I will eat leftovers or fix a non-traditional breakfast meal........a hash of some kind, huevos rancheros, a sandwich from leftover steak (one of my faves) or egg salad, a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich, liverwurst on toast. Or kippers (non-traditional in the US but a popular breakfast item in the UK).

I tend to eat pretty lightly the rest of the day - some yogurt, a piece of fruit and some cheese, a bowl of soup. But if I am really hungry late in the day, I will often cook breakfast for dinner as well :))

I think I just like breakfast type foods!! And breakfast meals are quick to fix and easily tailored to a single lifestyle.

Kathsgrdn thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Related Discussions

What's you favorite WEIRD breakfast food?

Q

Comments (50)
    Chocolate chip pancakes, as invented by our Boy Scout Troop. In planning for a camp-out, they had forgotten to buy blue berries. The Scout cooking breakfast that morning grabbed a box of chocolate chips and dumped it into the batter. The taste was quite acceptable, but woe unto the dishwasher. The pancakes were cooked on a hot griddle over a campfire and wherever a chocolate chip touched the griddle, it left a black dot that refused to come off with normal amount of scrubbing. LOL.
    ...See More

What do you eat for breakfast?

Q

Comments (69)
    What a healthy group we are! I can't eat right away, but I need caffeine right away. Cup of black tea with a dash of milk. Then, depending on my schedule, it might be 20 minutes or an hour later, I have one of the following, depending on how much time I have: One piece whole grain toast w/ PB. If I have this, I usually also have a banana later in the morning. Or, I have a banana before I exercise, then have the toast later. About a cup of 2% greek plain yogurt, topped with a drizzle of honey and a lot of berries. (Discovered this breakfast at my hotel in London in April and became addicted.) Sometimes sprinkle sliced almonds on top. Scrambled egg or omelet, sometimes w/ one piece of toast. Occasionally, a Think Thin bar.
    ...See More

On Thanksgiving Day Do You Eat Breakfast?

Q

Comments (43)
    Sue, I'm not lecturing you but....you have your second meal quite early in the day not to be eating anything after. Your body will love you if you at least try a light meal later on. Ok I am only thinking in a concerned motherly way....force of habit. LOL.
    ...See More

Where do you eat your meals and why do you like to eat there?

Q

Comments (57)
    Sorry for the yellowed image, it's gloomy outside today, but this is the view from the eating area in our kitchen. Here is where we eat 95% of our meals during cool or super hot weather, if it's mild or warm, we eat out side at the table. Our dining room is for larger gatherings. I love it there too, but rarely would the two of us choose to eat there alone. I've cleaned up the table so that the bottles of vitamins, supplements and Kleenex box are on the island, normally they live at DH's place! The tv is on the counter, to the right of the table. DH hates it being on in the mornings because it disturbs his reading of the paper, however we are usually watching the news or Jeopardy during dinner. Rarely do we eat in the den. We just don't find it comfortable to hang over the low coffee table while sitting on the sofa. Although that said, DH takes a tray in there when I'm having a Mahjongg game at the kitchen table. DD moved to Georgia and has the above areas and a darling screened in porch. I think that would be the best of both worlds.
    ...See More
  • nickel_kg
    2 years ago

I can eat anything, any time. But most often breakfast is at home, within an hour of getting out of bed, and it's oatmeal, eggs, waffles, or microwaved morning glory muffins. Sometimes (as a rare treat) oatmeal cookies or cold pizza. I say unless your doctor instructs you otherwise, it's your choice at what hour of the day you "break your fast."

Kathsgrdn thanked nickel_kg
  • marilyn_c
    2 years ago

I don't care for a lot of breakfast foods. Eggs, for example. I cook with them, but I don't eat them. Pancakes and waffles, too heavy. I seldom eat them. I don't eat until about 11, usually. If there is something left over from the night before, I eat that. Sometimes I will cook something for myself. This morning I reheated a biscuit in the microwave because I was hungry and hadn't eaten since yesterday afternoon. Later today I will have some shrimp. Got to make tartar sauce first...which is why I didn't have them for supper last night.

Kathsgrdn thanked marilyn_c
  • Lars
    2 years ago

No coffee for me, but I usually do have a cup of tea in the morning. That is all the caffeine I need in one day.

I often have leftover pizza for breakfast, if I have made some the day before. I usually make two at a time, and half of one is always leftover.

I'm not big on eggs either, unless they are in a frittata or a grits casserole. These take a while to make, but I always made enough for six servings, and they reheat well. I also frequently make migas and occasionally make an omelet. I used to make waffles or pancakes, but now I tend to make okonomiyaki more often than those, but I have to remember to buy cabbage for that, and so it takes some planning.

Kathsgrdn thanked Lars
  • chisue
    2 years ago

DH and I do eat 'breakfast foods' -- around 7 a.m. most days. We have three cold cereals on hand: Oatmeal Squares, Great Grains, and Morning Summit -- and berries or bananas.

Twice a week we have eggs and toast or English muffins w/honey; sometimes bacon. Coffee for him; hot tea or water for me. (I'm succeeding at drinking 40 ounces a day, with a tiny bit of Crystal Lite for flavor.) I can't remember when I had 'breakfast for dinner', but have opened a can of soup. Lunch is often dinner leftovers.

Kathsgrdn thanked chisue
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

I tend to combine breakfast and lunch, around 11am-1pm. So it is usually more of a main dish sort of thing. - like today, I am getting ready to cook some potstickers out of my freezer. I tend to put eggs into other dishes - like maybe topping a bowl of mixed vegetables/green with a fried egg and some cheese. I do make an effort to have a vegetable with my first meal, more so than fruit.

I never eat cold cereal for any meal. I do sometimes like oatmeal or cream of wheat (most often in winter) I don't eat much bread (or pasta) anymore, but every once in a while (like, 4-5 times/year) I will buy some good bread and that is when I am most likely to have peanut butter toast, or a hot cheese sandwich, or hummus. I rarely if ever eat bacon, but I do sometimes by turkey sausage.

Kathsgrdn thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • matthias_lang
    2 years ago

There are two things that I prefer not to have at breakfast. Fresh fruit and tea. On an empty stomach, both cause me momentary stomach cramps and nausea. It goes away quickly, but who would want to start their day like that?

Otherwise, I'm okay with just about anything for breakfast, though I don't like to do much cooking before I'm good and awake.

Kathsgrdn thanked matthias_lang
  • anneliese32
    2 years ago

Anything handy as long as I don't have to cook more than the time it takes for for scrambled eggs or water for oat meal. This morning it was a leftover slice of pizza, reheated in the micro.

Kathsgrdn thanked anneliese32
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

A capuccino is my breakfast.

Kathsgrdn thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • functionthenlook
    2 years ago

I don't eat breakfast. Since a teen I didn't like eating breakfast. I drink half diet dew, half diet ice tea in the morning. Never liked coffee either. I will eat some bacon when we make it for the grands on sundays though. I usually don't eat till lunch. But I do like breakfast foods for dinner occasionally

Kathsgrdn thanked functionthenlook
  • lily316
    2 years ago

I don't eat breakfast ever. I am a late riser and do stuff like feed the five pets, feed the birds, and koi and check the news online. Then I have the same thing every day. Organic seeded bread with hardboiled egg, avocado, slices of mozzarella cheese(sliced very thin), and three minutes on the panini. A bowl of blueberries raspberries, cherries, watermelon, and blackberries, and coffee. I am a creature of habit for sure.

Kathsgrdn thanked lily316
  • Bluebell66
    2 years ago

I can eat anything for breakfast, however, I do not. I typically fast each day until mid-afternoon when I have a snack - string cheese or hard boiled egg or something similar - then eat dinner a low-carb dinner. I used to love eating leftover pizza or dessert or shredded wheat or whatever, for breakfast, but no more. I miss it but feel so much better eating this way.

Kathsgrdn thanked Bluebell66
  • OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

No unusual food for me at breakfast, although I do enjoy some of the traditional ’English breakfast’ items like grilled tomatoes and mushrooms and would probably enjoy a few other grilled or roasted veggies as well.

By unusual, i mean cold pizza, leftover dinner food and such. My usual is to have at least one cup of coffee, usually two, then a couple of hours later i will have some yogurt with cut up fruit or berries and maybe granola sprinkled on top or an egg with cheese.

A splurge would be breakfast out with poached eggs, a couple slices of crisp bacon and a homemade biscuit with honey. Or an omelette or frittata i didnt have to make.

Kathsgrdn thanked OutsidePlaying
  • woodrose
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Toast and a cup of tea is all my stomach can handle in the morning.

Kathsgrdn thanked woodrose
  • Judi
    2 years ago

For the past week I've been making a quesadilla with Red Butte Hatch Chile cheese (a Trader Joe's seasonal find), cherry tomatoes, and arugula.

Kathsgrdn thanked Judi
  • chisue
    2 years ago

Will someone please tell me what's so special about Hatch Chille? I see it advertised as a seasonal treat.

Kathsgrdn thanked chisue
  • LynnNM
    2 years ago

Hatch chile (that’s the correct spelling, BTW) is grown in and around Hatch, New Mexico. New Mexico prides itself in its chile crop and we have great climate and planting conditions for it. The flavor is wonderful in both the green and then, as it ripens more, the red. Chile is harvested here usually starting sometime in August. To me, having lived in New Mexico for 39 years now and counting, Hatch chile can be depended on for the best quality and flavor. We New Mexicans have many beloved recipes for chile everything from appetizers to desserts.

Kathsgrdn thanked LynnNM
  • amylou321
    2 years ago

I am all the way backwards, having worked night shift for 18 years.....I can eat anything anytime. If you are talking about the first meal of the day after waking up, I usually am eating dinner foods. I usually wake up between 2 and 3 in the afternoon and I do not eat until an hour or two after I get to work at 5pm. When I get home around 5:45 in the morning, I cook "breakfast" food. Eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, pancakes, whatever. And that's what we eat before we go to sleep. Now that SO drives a truck at night and has pretty much the same sleep pattern, we stick to that sleep pattern even on days off, though we typically will get up lots earlier on those days to get things done.

All that being said, I would not object to eggs and bacon at 7 pm when I get to work nor would I shun pizza or enchiladas before I go to bed in the morning. Its whatever.

Kathsgrdn thanked amylou321
  • Judy Good
    2 years ago

I can eat only after a couple of cups of coffee. Then anything goes. It does not matter what it is.

Kathsgrdn thanked Judy Good
  • Bookwoman
    2 years ago

When I'm home, only buttered toast and coffee first thing. When traveling, I like scrambled eggs or avocado toast, but I don't have the energy or patience to make those things for myself when all I want to do is sit and read the paper as I wake up. I'm also a big believer in second breakfast, which is often yogurt, walnuts, and berries. But no, I don't want dinner for breakfast, or anything very sweet.

Kathsgrdn thanked Bookwoman
  • Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

I can eat anything at any time and also do not have a rigid morning routine. I like having a large cup of strong coffee but if I'm awake, I'm alert, my heart beats and my mind is clear without coffee if I have to wait. Or go without. If I'm somewhere where good coffee isn't available, I go without.

As for food and timing of breakfast - I'll eat whatever is easy and available now, later, or I can wait until for lunch.

Kathsgrdn thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • colleenoz
    2 years ago

On work days, breakfast is usually a toasted English muffin with peanut butter as it’s quick and easy aand keeps me going until lunchtime. Otherwise I’ll eat anything. Love cold leftover pizza, Chinese food, whatever looks good. At Christmas it’s often turkey sandwiches or leftover trifle. My stomach doesn’t mind what time of day it is.

When we were travelling in Europe, we loved that in some countries, breakfast was good bread (ie, not Wonderbread type bread) with charcuterie and cheese. It was delicious!

Kathsgrdn thanked colleenoz
  • nicole___
    2 years ago

I'm not hungry when I get up. My favorite thing to eat.....period...is green chili! Any time! ♥ Yes, made with Hatch green chilis!

Kathsgrdn thanked nicole___
  • Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Colleenoz, this is probably one of my favorite breakfasts, in Germany. I wanted to remember it so I took a picture. Wish I could find bread that good here. So simple, butter, bread, meat, cheese, a soft boiled egg and delicious coffee.

2 years ago

Ooooo, kathsgrdn, you just reminded me of how much I love soft boiled eggs. My egg topper thingy is awful, though. My step father (German) could lop the tops off the eggs with a butter knife in one fell swoop. I found a new egg topper from Germany, just ordered it. Thank you for the great reminder.

If you are ever in the Bay Area, I would happily invite you to Esther's German Bakery. You would love the bread, and the pretzels, and the cakes, and the schnitzel :-)

https://www.esthersbakery.com

• hounds_x_two
    2 years ago

Anything goes!

Kathsgrdn thanked hounds_x_two
  • Cherryfizz
    2 years ago

I rarely eat so called breakfast foods for breakfast unless I decide to make a Sunday breakfast of bacon and eggs or if I am chilly and decide to have oatmeal. haha mostly my breakfast foods like pancakes, waffles and bacon and eggs become dinner foods. If I eat cereal it is usually at night while watching tv.

Kathsgrdn thanked Cherryfizz
  • Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

kaths and zalco, Northern European breakfast buffets are the best. In Germany, I especially like the breakfast rolls that have a crispy crust that you break open with your hands and either put butter and jam into or charcuterie, "aufschnitt" in German (or liverwurst that comes in the little containers) and cheese. In Scandinavia, many of the same items plus selections of herring. It's bedtime now but my mouth is watering. I do have a not quite empty jar of herring, I may have to break that out for breakfast tomorrow.

Kathsgrdn thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • wildchild2x2
    2 years ago

My only criteria for breakfast is that it include sufficient protein to get me though the early part of the day. It could be cold leftover steak or chicken, a sandwich, eggs, cheese, or sausage. I never could consider muffins, or a stack of a pancakes or waffles breakfast. If I have those they must have a protein with them.

Kathsgrdn thanked wildchild2x2
  • arcy_gw
    2 years ago

Years ago on Weight Watchers I ate left over dinner for breakfast one summer. I had no issues with it. My schedule with work and school meant I was not present evenings. I think protein in the morning makes more sense than the carb load traditional breakfast foods tend to be. For me I would say it's a time thing. Mornings I don't care to get up early enough to make a production over meal prep.

Kathsgrdn thanked arcy_gw
  • lucillle
    2 years ago

My fave breakfast used to be cold leftover pizza. Second place runner ups were Costco croissants, hot and flaky. Neither which I eat now. I do hope for a miracle now and then that will allow my faves but I am happy to be where I am. I'm getting to be quite the omelette artist though, today's breakfast will be a green onion and cheese omelette.

Kathsgrdn thanked lucillle
  • caflowerluver
    2 years ago

I can eat almost anythìng for breakfast, except cold pizza. Tried that in college and never liked it. Now I usually eat a bowl of cold cereal after having my coffee and sitting for an hour or so. I can't take food when I first get up. The cereals are the non sweet ones like Chex, Raisin Bran, Shredded Wheat. Once a week a fried or poached egg or an English muffin with PB&J. On Sundays we make either waffles, or pancakes, or French toast with bacon, or ham, or sausages. Sometimes I make cinnamon rolls or muffins or some sweet to have with scrambled eggs mixed with cream cheese.

The most unusual breakfast was when DH and I traveled by car from Scotland to Wales staying at B&B's. We would order the traditional English breakfast. So much to eat that we would skip lunch.

Kathsgrdn thanked caflowerluver
    2 years ago

Today's breakfast: collard greens and a carrot cooked with some ham. I love all sorts of greens.

When I was on my bike tour of Nord Brabant (southern Holland), it was a package that included the bike, map, hotels and breakfast & dinner. Breakfast was the same in nearly all of the hotels: a plate with a few slices of bread, another with slices of ham and cheese, a bowl of oatmeal, a soft cooked egg, a dish of peanut butter, butter, some kind of preserves, and a dish of chocolate sprinkles.

Breakfast in Israel was much different and I loved them: an array of salads, cooked vegetables, pickles, fish, eggs, hummus, kugels, breads & pastries, cereal, cheeses, yogurt, fresh fruits, some hot dishes (like shakshuka) and more - even halvah, and even at the budget hotels (not as extensive but with the same variety.)

Kathsgrdn thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • User
    2 years ago

I always feel hungry when I get up in the morning. I’ll have a big breakfast, usually porridge, nuts and yoghurt. Then I’ll have my only coffee of the day (with lots of cream)

I don’t have lunch but have a dinner type meal sometime before 4 PM. Then I’m done most eating for the day.

Of course, I make exceptions if we go out for an evening dinner.

Kathsgrdn thanked User
  • Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Raee, when I was stationed in Germany we went TDY to Israel one year. I remember going to breakfast and no one but me would eat the food, yogurt, sardines, something made with eggplant are all I remember. Poor everyone else went hungry, I was just fine and pretty happy. They finally started making boiled eggs for "us" so they would have something to eat.

• Judi
    2 years ago

chisue, if you ever come across this cheese don't pass it up.

It's only $9.99/lb. at TJ's.

https://beehivecheese.com/products/red-butte-hatch-chile

2 years ago

Kathsgrdn, when I came back, I was telling my haircutter about my trip - she had gone with a group from her Protestant church and when I mentioned how much I loved the food (seriously, I could have gladly eaten shawarma from a little shop daily!) , she pulled a face and said that she thought the food was terrible. She didn't like anything - not liking fish (not even the salmon or tuna) didn't surprise me, of course.

• PattiG(rose)
    2 years ago

One of my favorite breakfasts has always been a piece of toast broken up in a bowl with a soft boiled egg - plenty of pepper and salt. I also don't mind leftovers for breakfast.

Kathsgrdn thanked PattiG(rose)
  • LynnNM
    2 years ago

I eat a breakfast-type breakfast every morning, and have all my life. Other than cold leftover pizza in college, that is. For the majority of my life though, there is no way I could or would eat leftovers from the night before, etc. My DH is a family practice doc and he’s very into healthful eating. I agree, having been in the healthcare field myself for many years, but I absolutely refuse to eat food that’s “good for me” but tastes boring or ugh! Thank goodness we both love to cook and experiment with recipes, as I can honestly say that we eat delicious breakfasts every day of the week.

Kathsgrdn thanked LynnNM
  • Judi
    2 years ago

For the majority of my life though, there is no way I could or would eat leftovers from the night before, etc. My DH is a family practice doc and he’s very into healthful eating.

Are you saying leftovers are unhealthy?

• jmm1837
    2 years ago

I always have breakfast - I need fuel for the day - but I'm not much of a cereal person. At home, we usually alternate between toast with jam, PB or, in hubby's case, Vegemite (argh) one day, and toast with scrambled eggs or an omelet the next. Sometimes it's croissants instead (especially almond croissants). I have been know to have leftover pizza (reheated in a frying pan) or last night's chilli on toast as well. Also, avocado and feta on toast. And, very definitely, two cups of cappuccino. The Italians understand coffee.

Kathsgrdn thanked jmm1837
  • Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    2 years ago

jmm1837, didn't like Italian coffee, too strong for me. My exchange student made me some in my daughter's Italian coffee maker.

• jmm1837
    2 years ago

I was a percolator coffee drinker early on, then a drip coffee drinker; I actually find Italian coffee (made in an espresso machine, not a stove top pot) gives me less of a caffeine hit than those. As for the taste, well, I think like a lot of things, it's acquired, not innate. I was in situations where a cup of cappuccino or espresso became part of a routine (and you know coffee is addictive!)

Kathsgrdn thanked jmm1837
  • LynnNM
    2 years ago

Judi: Nope, as we all know, leftovers can easily be very healthful, they’re just unappetizing to me the next morning. Other foods that ARE unhealthy to eat are the ones we try to avoid.

Kathsgrdn thanked LynnNM
  • WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    2 years ago

I normally eat around 11:00 for the first meal of the day and don't eat dinner until 7:00. Have toast spread with peanut butter; an egg prepared however I decide to cook it; toast and a piece of fruit; a piece of fruit; homemade Greek yogurt with anything I want stirred in. Don't care for a heavy breakfast/lunch.

Kathsgrdn thanked WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
  • krystalmoon2009
    2 years ago

I usually only eat breakfast foods on weekends and I normally have coffee and nothing to eat til about noon

Kathsgrdn thanked krystalmoon2009
    2 years ago

Jmm, I believe the amount of caffeine extracted from the bean depends on how much time it soends in contact with the water.

• sprtphntc7a
    2 years ago

i am a breakfast food type person. i cannot eat left over dinner for breakfast...

give me my old fashioned oatmeal, sprouted toasted with laughing cow cheese sprinkled with cinnamon, eggs of any kinds, low carb (homemade) pancakes & waffles. and coffee!!

Kathsgrdn thanked sprtphntc7a