SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gellchom

please help us plan birthday/anniversary party

gellchom
16 years ago

Can you help with ideas?

This July we will celebrate both my 50th birthday and our 25th wedding anniversary (bad planning on my part -- I saw this coming 25 years ago!). We just decided to have a party after all (we are taking a vacation to celebrate). Our anniversary is July 4, so we will have the party then (we'll be away on my birthday), for about 50 people. It will be at 6-9 or so to give folks time before to rest up from parade and brunch and time after to get to fireworks. Of course, the food will be hamburgers, chicken, hot dogs, etc., and we'll have a signature drink or two, beer, wine, and soda. My friend volunteered to make a rice and vegetable salad and her famous olive spread, too.

We will rent tables and chairs to put outside and either get nice disposable dishes or rent glass. We'll have a bartender and some helpers (the caterer provides them). We hope our son, the DJ, will be able to provide the music (whether or not he can come into town himself; he can make mix disks and tell us what kind of system to set up).

I can hardly believe I am doing it, because I am so opposed to any reference to gifts at all on invitations, but the invitations will say "no gifts, please" at the bottom. We were just torn between either (1) not mentioning the anniversary and birthday at all and not putting "no gifts' on it, or (2) the opposite. In the end, we felt like all the people we are inviting are close enough that most of them know anyway, and will or won't get gifts anyway as they choose (even if there had been no party), or don't know and would feel bad and sort of distanced if they found out at the party. Plus, everyone gets so many invitations for July 4, we wanted people to know that this is a special evening for us that we really want them to share with us, not just one more cookout to drop in on or not. And whether or not I like it, "no gifts please" has become the convention, at least in my community, when you give yourself a party for a gift-y occasion -- i.e., host a party for your own birthday, anniversary, graduation, etc.

So now I need ideas for invitations (fast!) and decorations. What can you think of that could make decorations a little different from usual July 4th stuff that somehow incorporate the anniversary and/or birthday? I was thinking of starting with something like red and white geraniums in pretty pots (that we can give to friends who help out at the end) on the tables.

For the invitation, I was playing around with something like

July 1957 - Gell is born

July 1982 - Chom and Gell are married

July 2007 - We count our blessings with our favorite people

Every 25 years, something wonderful happens!

Please celebrate with us

date

time

place

Gell & Chom

rsvp, ngp

Too gimmicky? Too obscure? I'm sure you all can improve on "something wonderful happens." Fortunately, wonderful things happen a lot more than that.

Thanks in advance for your help. It's a lot more fun planning with all of you!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
More Discussions