hand weights

Pixie1

Help, help, help. I have been going to aerobic class three times a week for about 12 weeks now. We use hand weights for part of the workout. I have been using 5 lbs weights. Is that too much weight??? Am I going to bulk up instead of tone up???

SaveComment2Like
Comments (2)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
devorah

5 pounds if fine if you can handle it. I just moved up to three so I am way behind you. Women tone more than bulk. I don't think you have anything to worry about. How does the instructor look?

Save    
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kokomo61

Women (at least 99.999%+ of them) don't bulk up. They don't have enough testosterone in their system to fuel the muscle growth. So, unless you're really eating a LOT of protein, using tons of supplements and doing real bodybuilding weight training, you're not going to add much muscle at all (especially, if you're over 30).

The only problem you might run into is some slight joint issues, if the weight is too high for the amount of motion you're doing, but 5 lbs shouldn't be any problem at all.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular 7 Ways to Design Your Kitchen to Help You Lose Weight
In his new book, Slim by Design, eating-behavior expert Brian Wansink shows us how to get our kitchens working better
Full Story
Decorating Projects Get a Wallpaper Look With a Hand-Painted Touch
Stencil a pattern for all the beauty of your favorite wallpaper at a fraction of the cost
Full Story
Architecture Houzz Call: Show Us Your Logo!
A picture is worth a thousand words, but your company’s symbol may be worth its weight in gold. We’d like to hear the graphic details
Full Story
Friendly Painting, Inc., is a full service residential & commercial painting and contracting business founded in... Read More
The best professional advice in Northern Virginia, charging affordable hourly rates, showing you how to turn your... Read More