SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leafy02

I am such a tightwad, I ....

leafy02
11 years ago

Do you ever surprise yourself with how tight/thrifty you are?

I was talking to a coworker and realized midway through our conversation that he was looking at me like I was nuts. He had asked a question about selling things on Craigslist and I told him about my experiences selling things on CL.

Furniture we didn't need any more, an old camera or two...those didn't raise an eyebrow, but when I said I'd sold the hedge from my front yard, my front door, the builder-grade light fixtures from my bathrooms, the liriope from the back yard flower bed, chairs I found in my neighbor's trash, etc... he seemed to think I'd lost my mind.

I'm not troubled by his dismay, I even got a chuckle out of it--I kind of think it's funny that I even thought of selling the hedge--and had the buyer dig it up!

Then today I was looking at TV cabinets online, and I saw the prices on Crate and Barrel and thought "no way--when these kids grow up I won't even *need* a TV cabinet, I'll just wait". And I had to laugh at myself, because I have a third grader--it's not like I'm about to have an empty nest anytime soon. Could I just go ahead and buy something already?

I like to be thrifty but don't want to be penny-wise and pound foolish to the point where I spend another 15 years with an ugly hunk of furniture under the TV.

Anyone else catch yourself being "too cheap" sometimes?

Comments (33)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!