SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovetogrowflowers

I know I am a pain, but I am confused. A Newbie in the group.

lovetogrowflowers
14 years ago

Okay, I have stressed myself out so much over my brugs. The weather is getting ready to change and I am so nervous as to what I should do. I have one in ground and two in pots.

I have been told to cut them back to about 6 inches from the ground. Some say not to cut them and store them in a cool dark place.

My confusion comes from the "Y" I guess. I know they don't bloom until you start getting your Y's. So, my mind is telling me not to cut them back to 6 inches. Wouldn't it take forever for the brug to grow and start making Y's again next season? I'm so lost. Why cut it then?

The two in the pots (2-5ft tall) are going underneath the crawlspace of my home. Being new I don't want to try and keep them going all winter, especially with the bugs and everything. I have the room, but feel like letting them go dormant is best.

My plan as of right now (A Newbies Plan) is to NOT cut them at all and take the two in pots stick them (pot and all) over into a trash bag and fill the bag with mulch all around the pot and part of the trunk, as much as it takes. If I have to I'll wrap them in blankets as well *LOL* I have no basement or garage. My only other option is to stick them inside and old van we have out back using the same technique.

The one in ground I had only planned to mulch like crazy, and not cut it back either. I was told earlier in the forum that the winter might rot the stalk anyway, and that rot could spread to the roots underground.

Cut back, don't cut back, has to have a "Y" before they will bloom. I'm going nuts.

So, again, and I am so sorry. I have debated all day whether to make another post. I don't want to get on anyone's nerves.

1. What's the point of cutting back to 6 inches? Should I? What will the shape of either of my inground or potted brugs look like next year? I like their shape now.

2. Aren't they going to take forever to grow the Y's back next season if I cut them back?

3. Am I supposed to strip all leaves off before putting them under the crawlspace? I hadn't planned on stripping anything. I knew it would probably die on its own.

I hope someone will take the time to explain some of this to me. 30 degree weather is only 3-4 days away and I just don't have a plan. :( I have read and read, but get different information. I understand that everyone has there own way, but my being new, I don't know what to do at this point.

Please advise and thanks so very much. If they were yours what exactly would you be doing? A step by step would be great for what to do with the inground one and why, and the same for the two in pots. I'm an idiot when it comes to plants. *Sigh* Sorry to bother you all again.

Comments (6)