SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunbeamsun

Help! I am completely confused on what type of tree I should get

sunbeamsun
13 years ago

I have been poring over tree information for the last 2 weeks and I thought picked one or two that I liked but now I'm not sure whether they would be a good match for the type of landscape that will be in my backyard.

Right now, the backyard is dirt and gravel. Since I have three little children, we've decided to put in grass so they can run around. However, it is a smallish backyard. I'd say about 50 feet by 30 feet and it backs up to a major road.

Originally, I had set my sights on one or two of the following: a Hybrid Palo Verde, a Palo Brea, or a Desert Willow.

I casually asked my husband what he thought about those trees recently and he said he didn't care for the Palo Verdes when they were in bloom so I'm assuming he doesn't want a lot of litter from the tree.

So, here are my criteria for a tree: fast growing, accepts lawn conditions, low litter, light to medium shade and hardy to the cold (remember that weird freeze we had??) I haven't decided whether I would like an evergreen tree or not. And I don't really like the upright shape. I prefer a vase-shape, canopy look. And I don't want thorns on the tree because of the children.

Anyway, I am having a landscaper do the backyard relatively soon would like to know what type of tree I should tell him to put in the back.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm