SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whazzup_fl

What makes a good guest? - LONG!

whazzup
21 years ago

I consider myself very fortunate to live in a city that is a major tourist destination. Because of my location and wonderful weather year round, we have quite a few guests at many different time of the year. In fact a couple of them just left and I am so glad to have some semblance of a normal life back! We are more than happy to open our house to family and friends who come to town and want to do the "tourist" things. But when guests leave, I always feel exhausted and relieved. And these are people that I really DO want to see and really DO love! Here is a list of do's and don'ts for houseguests. Please add you own because I am so tired, I am sure I have forgotten something.

1. Make arrangements for transportation if possible. If you have a medical reason for not driving, it's understandable. But don't rely on me to work as your taxi service while you enjoy a relaxing vacation. Rent a car or bring your own.

2. Could you wash a dish or cook a meal? How about buying dinner for us? After all, you've saved a whopping amount of money on hotel bills by staying with us, but our grocery bill has increased.

3. Sorry, I've been to the parks too many times to count and I don't feel like going again. But there's no need for you to sit around like a bump on a log because I don't want to go. (Bet you wish you'd rented a car now). Plus, I really can't afford to spend the money on tickets every time someone comes to town.

4. I will not use MY hard earned vacation time to entertain you during YOUR vacation. That time is so that I can have a vacation and do some relaxing myself. So, you just go out during the day and do your thing, and I'll see you at the house in the evening when I get home from work.

5. You may not believe this because you are family and I do love you, but it is true that fish and house guests start to smell after three days. A week or ten days is TOO long.

6. We do things a certain way around here. We watch certain TV shows and eat certain foods. I try to be a good hostess and make you comfortable, but you really need to get over yourself :) Don't be making nasty comments because you think we do things "weird".

7. Yes, it's hot here. You don't have to comment over and over on how you "could never live here". Believe me, if you decide to stay in the great white north, it's no problem for me.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County