SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hawk307

wfd #301

hawk307
14 years ago

Happy New Year #301

Nothing much this time but

It is my first Roast Stuffed Chicken of the New Year.

LOU

Comments (101)

• hawk307
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Nothing much tonight again.
    Had a ground Sirloin 1/4 pounder, with Onion, Tomato and Lettuce.

But I did have something else that was good.

Two pieces of Corn on the Cob , from the freezer, that were in there since summer.

Used Carmens tip " freezing Corn with the husks on "
    LOU

Also Posted this in Tips.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

FOAS, I'm glad you liked that, I think it's my favorite way to serve pork roast.

Tonight Ashley wanted to go "out". Sigh. Toxic He!!...um...Taco Bell. Soft steak taco for me and something called a Cheesey Crunchy Gordita for Ashley. Cooper got most of mine, it's no better than it ever was!

Annie

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

Woohoo! I finally am posting on WFD!
    Not the whole meal, but my new grill pan I got for Christmas.in action!

Salmon, side 1

Salmon, side 2

Theres a ring on the bottom piece and its open in the center. The salmon was marinated and then infused with white wine while it cooked! I served it with roasted broccoli and cauliflower and Sweet Potato & scallion Salad (thanks lpink!!)
    Delicious!!

Deanna

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Cool pan, Deanna! Your salmon looks great!

Went to the doctor today and found out that I have bronchitis. Got some drugs and came home. I feel better than I have the last couple of days, plus I felt sorry for Tim having to eat leftovers all week!

So I attempted to make an Italian sauce for fish similar to the picture of the one Sharon CB posted a few days ago.

Let's just say I'll stick to T&T fish recipes! LOL

Tomorrow might be pizza, I am not sure yet, depends.

Linda

• stacy3
    14 years ago

well, hello everyone! I haven't been around too much lately....hopefully that will change.

Teresa that Hot pot looks really great! and Ann's stuffed turkey breast - a work of art. pizza, corn, greek meat pie!!! Even the cucumber salad looks good Sharon - :-) So many great looking things. Deanna, I do like that grill pan.

While waiting in the pick up line for Will yesterday, I was reading through a Woman's Day magazine and saw a recipe for Cuban chicken and vegetables. Will loves chicken drumsticks, and I had all the ingredients at home, so I decided to make it for dinner. It was really good! I don't know what makes it Cuban, but heck - who cares. It was good. haha.

Here it is before roasting:

And after:

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Oh wow!

Great pictures and ideas everyone! Stacy - care to share that Cuban Chicken recipe? It looks like something my men folk would love too......

Alexa

• User
    14 years ago

Everybody's meals looks fantastic ! I'd be happy with every single one of them......OK not the salmon so much but I sure am jonesing over the grill plate!

We were at my SIL's cottage for a few days; I'd forgotten what a bad cook she is! I know that sounds mean but she really is. One night was sirloin steak that she cut in pieces and "fried" all together in a small fry pan. The result was more like boiled sirloin! The pan was way to crowded and they virtually steamed.

Last night was a shrimp alfredo pasta thingy. She sauted some shrimp and regular sliced cooking onions in a fry pan and then added a jar of Classico Alfredo sauce and simmered it as long as it took to cook the spiral pasta, including getting the water to boil. The shrimp were like rubber and the sauce was like glue. She does make a great salad though so that was good and I brought dessert. Clive says I'm to offer the main courses next time! LOL

Tonight is either pan fried pickerel or smoked spareribs.

• stacy3
    14 years ago

sure Alex. And it was super easy!

Cuban chicken and vegetables serves 4

From Womans Day magazine

8 small chicken drumsticks (about 1 ¼ lb) I used 4 large ones.
    2 small bell peppers cut into ¾ inch wedges (I used half each of a green, yellow and red)
    2 cups butternut squash chunks
    ¾ cup orange juice
    ½ cup chopped cilantro
    1 tbsp olive oil
    2 tsp each ground cumin and minced garlic
    1 tsp dried oregano
    ½ tsp saltg

1. Position racks to divide oven into thirds. Heat oven to 500 degrees F. Youll need 2 rimmed baking pans lined with nonstick foil
    2. Place half of the chicken, peppers and squash on each of the 2 pans.
    3. Whisk remaining ingredients in a bowl. Pour all but ¼ cup over chicken and veggies. Toss to coat. Reserve remaining cilantro mixture for serving.
    4. Place pans in oven and roast 15 minutes. Remove pans and toss veggies and chicken. Return to oven and roast 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender.
    5. Drizzle servings with reserved cilantro mixture.

*my notes: I made more of the "sauce" because I had a little more of the veggies than the recipe said. I used 1 cup OJ and more cilantro because I love it. And I used 3 garlic cloves minced.

I also only used one pan a big half sheet pan. And I roasted a bit longer because my chicken had been frozen and I wanted to be sure it was done.

I should have done more chicken - with my "more" veggies - as Will had two, I had one and he just had the fourth for Breakfast - LOL. There are still some veggies left.

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Thanks Stacy! It is dinner tonight!

And Sharon - oh my. The food does sound pretty bad, hopefully the wine and the company were better?

Alexa

• User
    14 years ago

Stacy that looks good to me. Especially after I realized that I was looking at squash and not carrots.

Sharon, Moe would have suggested the same thing.

Ann

• foodonastump
    14 years ago

Stacy - that looks so good. I wish I could get my wife to like peppers; there are so many meals I'd like to make where they're prominent.

Kathleen - Looks like Mike did a nice job on the Stollen. At my sister's request, my mom mixed in a layer of Marzipan this year, making it a Dresdener Stollen. We really liked it.

Last night I made Mexican. It was actually somewhat of a miracle meal given the amount of tequila and beer that flowed during prep. It turned out great, even if the picture didn't. I have to thank Lori for the fajita marinade. I was a bit skeptical since it didn't have lime juice in it which is how I typically do it, but it was really good. As was the Spanish rice, courtesy of caboodle via magothyrivergirl. Both recipes will take over as my standards, so thank you. I also made Cook's Illustrated's salsa which I love.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Deanna, I like the grill pan, but I'd love the salmon!

FOAS, nice picture. Yeah, I noticed the Corona,LOL. And those limes for the tequila. What? They're for the fajitas? (grin) sure they are...

Stacy, I love roasted squash. Well, most roasted vegetables, I'd love that meal.

sharon, please don't tell me you had the pickeral, I'll be so envious....

Here we had bean soup. Well, it was supposed to be bean soup, made with a new-to-me type of bean, the Mayacoba. It turns out they are very mild, not a strong bean flavor at all, and they cook quickly. They have a nice texture, kind of buttery, but the amount of time it takes me to cook canellini or great northern beans perfectly got me this:

they are so soft that I'm going to add seasonings and make them into bean dip...

So, dinner tonight was orange/cranberry pancakes with a generous drizzle of local grade B maple syrup:

They were pretty darned good, better than the bean mush...

Annie

• annie1992
    14 years ago

No one eats supper on Friday night?

Elery is here, so I made Ann T's stacked enchiladas. Avocados were 69 cents each, a great price for here in Michigan, so we had beans and guacamole as sides, and I fried some extra corn tortillas to dip in the guacamole.

Ann, this recipe is a keeper for sure, Elery loved it. I wasn't sure I was going to like it, but I did, a lot. I'll be making this again, even though Elery thought it needed to be hotter. (grin) it was just right for me, although I know I'm a wuss...

I had brined a brisket for pastrami, so Elery put it in the smoker while I was at work. We'll have that tomorrow or Sunday, I'm thinking I want sushi sometime this weekend too.

I was pleased with the pastrami, it's peppery and good:

So come on, let's have dinner!

Annie

• momof2doxies
    14 years ago

Since you are begging Annie, I will post that we had good old pot roast with carrots and potatoes. Sorry AnnT about the carrots. No pictures, but it sure tasted wonderful. I haven't had much time for cooking lately but was finally home for part of the day.

Linda

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

That pastrami looks excellent!

Lou your cutlets look so nice and crispy..that's how I like them...

Food, I didn't realize a layer of marzipan made it Dresdener..interesting..
    Your Mexican dish looks good.

Chase, boiled salmon, LOL..I would have had to ask for a can of tuna,,I don't eat salmon even if it cooked nicely!

We ate dinner..I had bought a bottom round as they were on sale..really, like 1.57 a lb.
    I cut it in half, made pot roast with one half...

I marinated the other half for a few days, and turned it into Chinese beef with snowpeas over rice..broccoli for Mike, I don't touch the stuff..:)

• User
    14 years ago

Can't go wrong with Tex-Mex. Looks delicious FOAS.

Annie, your pastrami looks amazing. I'd love a pastrami sandwich.

Kathleen, one of my favourite diner dinners. We had pot roast for dinner last night too. I made hot beef sandwiches with caramelized onions and homemade fries on the side.

Bake a double chocolate pecan tart this morning. Haven't had a chance to taste it yet. It is going to be dessert tomorrow night.

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Great food and photos everyone!

I'm still keeping to green vegetables with fish or meat but Wolf can have what he wants. I made a baked salmon dinner the other day, then liver and onions with spinach and veg, and yesterday chicken tenders coated in my mixture of 1/3 ground almond 2/3 oat bran, nice and crispy, with hash brown potatoes, steamed artichoke hearts (my new veg this week), green beans, squash, yam, and carrots, most of which was for Wolfram. I must learn what to do with frozen artichoke hearts. I find them really tasteless despite that they're healthy. :-(
    Perhaps I'll start a thread asking for ideas for preparing them that I can use on this diet.

Liver & onions; Breaded chicken tenders

Happy Saturday everyone! Our peach blossoms are coming out now.

SharonCb

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

Ann, that looks so good! As did your stuffed turkey breast..
    Sharon, my sister always orders liver and onions if it is on the menu...Not me..:(
    Peach blossoms..wow!

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Sharon, I also love liver and onions, I seldom have it because the doc says it's too high in cholesterol. (sigh)

Kathleen, are those beets with your pot roast? I love beets, even more than pot roast!

Ann T, a slice of that tart, please, for breakfast tomorrow. It would be perfect with coffee.

elery is here so we've had an "international weekend". I made the stacked enchiladas last night, we had sushi for lunch and I made mango dal for supper. Travel around the world for dinner! No pictures, I'm still loading them on Photobucket, so I'll come back here or start a new thread.

Oh, and Ann T, I know how you like shelties, did yours eat ANYTHING? Cooper has decided he likes wasabi!

Annie

• indicanoe
    14 years ago

Tonight was Chicken Pad Thai, from a recipe in our local grocery's recipe magazine. You get it free if you spend more than $25.
    I also made some homemade Crab Rangoons, too. I got the recipe for those from a friend's cooking blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: The way to his heart...

• User
    14 years ago

Annie, all my shelties were "foodies". The only thing that Stetson wouldn't eat was escargot.

Ann

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Thanks, Ann, I was beginning to think this guy had been starved, or didn't have any taste buds.

He'll eat sushi with wasabi, the leftovers of enchiladas even after Elery has doused them with srirachi, he ate a bite of grapefruit this morning, he wanted it and I was sure he wouldn't eat it but he gobbled it up. I'm just amazed at the stuff he'll eat.

So much for Grandma's theory that a dog won't eat anything bad for them! Cooper will eat anything, although I haven't tried escargot.

Annie

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Get better Lou! Lots of rest and fluids!! And take your meds!

Well, the food on here looks and sounds just amazing! As usual. I hardly ever post, because my meals are mostly like last night--some Campbell's tomato soups, Wasa crackers with Sabra hummus, some lowfat cottage cheese and a handful of almonds. Diet soda.

Today though I made a pot of good chili. I thought I'd post the recipe because some folks have been asking about chili.

Red Bean Chili - from the back of the Goya Red Beans bag.

First, make the red beans. I had never bought them dried before, and I really like them! They are MUCH better than kidney beans I think. I soaked them in water overnight and then cooked the lb. of beans with 4 cups of water and a bouillon cube. Cooked in crockpot for about 8 hours. I used half for the chili and froze the other half for another day's chili! I couldn't find my epazote which is something I often add when cooking beans, about 1/2 tsp. as I'm not real fond of it.

1/2 lb. Goya dry small red beans (which is 1 lb. cooked, which is 2 cups, or at least that's what it was to me!)
    2 tsp. Goya Adobo with pepper. I used Penzey's Adobo seasoning, which I love, but only 1 1/2 tsp. so I could adjust up since I didn't know how it compared to Goya's.
    1/2 lb. ground beef. (I used 1/2 lb. smoked tofu, which I had to use up. That's why I didn't take a picture. Taste-wise it was OK, but the white amorphous tofu bits didn't look to good floating in the chili. If I make this again I will sub fake meat crumbles, which is what I often use in my chili.)
    1/2 cup green pepper (I used a small zuchinni, diced)
    2 cloves garlic, minced. (I used one clove because I am a garlic wuss, and the Adobo had garlic in it too.)
    2 TBLSP tomato paste (I used a small can of tomato sauce because I didn't want to deal with half a can of tomato paste)
    1 16 oz. can of whole peeled tomatoes. (I used a 14.5 can diced tomatoes with jalepenos) I also added some water to the chili broth.
    1 TBLSP chili powder. I only had about 1/2 TBLSP left, but the tomatoes had jalepenos in them, and I added a dash of cayenne.
    1 tsp. cumin. (Again, I added less, can always adjust up. I added about 1/4 tsp.)
    1 TBLSP chopped fresh cilantro. Would have been great but I didn't have any so I added some dried parsly and a dash of corriander. A small dash.
    Salt and pepper to taste.

Cook the beans first. I did mine in the crockpot.

In a large skillet over med. high heat, sautee onions pepper, garlic and beef in a little olive oil. I started with the onions, then added (in my case) zuchinni until they were both translucent. Meat eaters might want to start with the beef and drain before adding the veggies. Add garlic last.

Stir in tomato paste, tomatoes (break up if using the whole ones), cooked beans and seasonings to taste. If using cooked beans, it's two cups. Reduce heat and simmer 20-25 min. Salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with a dollop of sour cream and some corn chips.

P.S. I really like the smokey taste the tofu imparted, so next time I might either use fire roasted diced tomatoes, or roasted peppers and a pinch of chipotle pepper. I can't take much chipotle though, that stuff does me in real fast!

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

No, Annie, the red stuff is red cabbage with apples.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    14 years ago

indicanoe, that blog's ice cream looks delicious! Raspberry chip. Yum.

I had chicken a l'orange with steamed rice topped with almonds and some broccoli. Also made a lemon sour cream pie. That mokey sure knows how to make a pie (along with some other good eats)!

Here is a link that might be useful: cooking with monkey blog

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Raspberry chip ice cream? Now that sounds good!

Kathleen, I like red cabbage too, but I like beets best. I've very seldom met a vegetable I didn't like.

I didn't have ice cream, though, or beets. Last night I had beef and broccoli over some of the leftover brown rice from the sushi:

As usual, the beef was too done and the broccoli not done enough, but it wasn't too bad. Cooper enjoyed it a lot too, LOL, and then went to play with the Dead Cat:

Tonight's supper was not picture worthy. I had a sardine sandwich. Yeah, I know, but I like sardines and it just sounded good.

Annie

• woodie
    14 years ago

Tonight I made Stacy's Cuban Chicken! It was great, Stacy, thanks for passing along that recipe. I was nervous for the 500 cause my smoke alarm normally doesn't like that temp, but it all worked and the drumsticks got so beautifully browned nice and dark yet still moist.

I love Cooper and the Dead Cat From He!! - although I truly think you should give him/her a nicer name, Annie.

Last week I tried Ginger's French Dip in the crockpot using pork and it was great. I used some of it to mix with noodles and the rest with BBQ sauce for pulled pork.

• pkramer60
    14 years ago

Annie, it is good to see a photo of my coffee buddy, the Dead Cat and of course Mr. Cooper, the snuggle bug. I will have to try the wasabi on DillyDog. He eat everything but egg whites.

Dinner tonight was an unstuffed cabbage roll casserole. It was good but a bit too sweet for me.Ah well.

TeresaNC: I finally made the Basque Chicken and rice recipe you posted on 7/6. Truly a keeper! I did leave out the olives as I am not fond of them, and upped the peppers.

Basque Chicken and Rice - serves 4-6

2 TB olive oil
    8 pieces of chicken (I used thighs, no skin, bone in)
    3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
    opt. small jar of strips of pimento
    opt. 1/2 cup halved olives
    2 cups rice (I used the yellow rice package)
    4 cups chicken broth
    1 bay leaf
    salt and pepper
    opt. pinch of saffron
    opt. pinch of smoked paprika

Heat a large saucepan or Le Creuset French oven on the stove top, add oil, saute chicken pieces until browned, remove to a platter. Add garlic, onion, bell pepper and saute until onion is transparent.

Deglaze pan with about 1/4 cup water. Return chicken to the pot and add rest. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce to a simmer. Cook 25 minutes or until rice is tender.

Source: Frugal Gourmet's Our Immigrant Ancestors cookbook
    Thanks for any recipes you can share!
    TeresaNC, 7/6/09

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Peppi, you are one of the few people who actually saw the "invisible cat", she usually hides in the basement if anyone is at the house besides me.

Woodie, she has a "real" name, her name is Cinder. Amanda named her because she said she was burned black in the first of he!!. The vet had guaranteed me that she was too little, too starved, too sick to survive, she would certainly die. He underestimated the will of my girls who spent hours dosing her with medications, feeding her from a dropper and wrapping her in blankets and snuggling her to keep her warm. When she got better and her true nature showed itself, she became Cinder, the Dead Cat from He!!. That eventually became The Dead Cat. She doesn't seem to mind...

Peppi, I'm going to have to try that recipe, I think Elery would like it and I could pick out the olives. He loves them, I don't so much...

Annie

• dirtgirl07
    14 years ago

Annie, Cinder the Dead Cat is beautiful. She and Sharon's Bibi make a nice contrast in colors.

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Oh I love cats both those Dead from Hell and alive. That's a cute pic of Cinder and Cooper, Annie!

I'm beginning to forget what we're eating as it's becoming somewhat repetitious but I know we had hake fish and assorted veg with spinach one day, and yesterday it was chilly here so I put the chicken drumettes that I'd defrosted into a stew with vegetables and a mound of chopped cabbage. It was so good, and Wolf was very happy.
    I ate some forbidden potato and lost another pound!

It's chilly here and we have some rain. Here's one of my daily breakfast guests at my computer room window. He's sitting on the edge of the food dish waiting for a refill.

SharonCb

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

I've been remiss in posting here for awhile. Everyone has been doing some wonderful cooking - and the photos are all amazing!

I've been doing some cooking, though several dinners have consisted of cereal or cheese & crackers. Here are a few of my meals lately:

Chicken Paillards with Avocado-Pomegranate Salsa:

Orange Lentil Soup with Seasoned Croutons

Orange Pork Stir-Fry with brown rice:

Chicken & Corn Chowder:

A breakfast Cloud Souffle:

Eggs Benedict with King Crabmeat and homemade English muffins:

And a few desserts:

Meringues:

Jam Thumbprints:

Lori

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    14 years ago

Lori! You can come cook for me. Clearly, you cook like I eat. Eggs benedict on crabcakes is my favorite.

I did so good! I ate a salad. The whole thing. Normally, I pick out the veggies, nibble a lettuce leaf and shove it aside. I made a copycat version of OCharley's Pecan Chicken Tender Salad. That, along with Sol's yellow grits souffles. I ate the remaining honey roasted pecans left from the salad recipe for dessert. Next, I'll try to make a dressing that is better than bottled, so that I crave salads, instead of "I made it through it!" happy.

;)

Here is a link that might be useful: OCharley's Pecan Chicken Tender Salad

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

It looks like you all after raised the bar. Just amazing.

Kathleen, I tried the Rigatoni Pie and failed. I had to quickly recover as guest were coming over not to mention that I wasted a pound of premium rigatoni. I told you that I would need coaching! I was focused on the whole dinner so it dawned on me after the fact that I should have poured all the pasta in the pan then stand them up individually on end. I was trying to put them in the pan one at a time...duh.

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Those dishes all look good Lori. I'd love some of that soup right now, as it's chilly here and raining today.

Rob I'm taking note of that recipe!

I bought too many groceries and can't fit any more things into the deep freeze, so this morning out came a tray of ground chicken-turkey which I made into patties for dinner. I also bought too many vegetables (what was I thinking?) so into my big steamer pot went potatoes, broad beans, squash, carrot, onion and cauliflower. A nice satisfying dinner so now it's time for a strong coffee and a siesta. Think I'll cuddle up with one or two cats on my lap this afternoon and turn on the heat.

SharonCb

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Raised the bar is right! Lori your photos are beautiful. I especially like the meringues!

Earlier in the week I made Claire's Amazing Thin Crust Pizza. That is now my "go to" pizza recipe, thanks Claire!

{{gwi:1486199}}

Last night I made Maple Chili Glazed Pork Medallions along with baked potatoes and a new recipe, Grilled Ratatouille. OMG, it is one of the best veggie sides I have ever had. Definitely going into my "make often" file!

It was too cold and windy to grill outdoors, so I used my cast iron grill pan. Neither of us likes eggplant, so I subbed a large carrot, it was delish! It could easily be served over rice or orzo to make a vegetarian main course, too.

Grilled Ratatouille
    Source: Rachel Ray Magazine

3 large tomatoes, halved crosswise
    2 bell peppers, quartered
    2 zucchini, thickly sliced lengthwise
    1 eggplant, thickly sliced lengthwise
    1 onion, thickly sliced crosswise
    1 head garlic, halved crosswise
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    Salt and pepper
    1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced
    2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

Preheat a grill to medium-high. On a large baking sheet, arrange the tomatoes, bell peppers, zucchini, eggplant, onion and garlic in a single layer. Brush with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.

Transfer the vegetables to the grill and cook, turning once, until just tender and slightly charred, about 5 minutes for the tomatoes, 8 minutes for the peppers, zucchini and eggplant and 10 minutes for the onions and garlic. Return to the baking sheet and let stand until cool enough to handle.

Chop the peppers, zucchini, eggplant and onions into ½-inch pieces and transfer to a large bowl. Squeeze out the garlic cloves, finely chop and add to the bowl. Working over the bowl, slip off and discard the tomato skins and remove the cores, then crush the tomatoes with your hands and add to the bowl. Add the olives and vinegar, season with salt and pepper and toss.

Linda

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Linda, Great paring-I love Ratatouille and I love grilled vegetables. I'll make this for Family Dinner Night as I am always looking for side dishes.

• User
    14 years ago

Last night I made lemon chicken with Steve's Roasted Broccoli and Crushed Potatoes...think it was Ellen that twigged me to those.

It was a thoroughly enjoyable meal. Clive was licking his plate .....well almost! Best part is it was so easy to put together. My kind of meal.

Tonight I think I'll so a turkey pot pie with some filling I made after Christmas and froze. No puff pastry in the freezer and I don;t feel like going out. So unless Clive has errands to run I guess I'll have to make pastry. Maybe I'll go out.....

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Sharon, if you don't want to make pastry and you don't want to go out, just do what Grandma did and just plop some biscuits on top. I still kind of like pot pie with biscuits, although I suppose it really isn't pot pie.

Oh dear, SharonCB, it's cold in paradise? Your chicken and vegetables look very good and fresh. Here the Dead Cat sleeps in front of my little electric heater whenever I turn it on, she has completely taken it over, it's HERS. She doesn't even want to sit by me, just right in front of that heater.

So, supper last night? Leftover beef and broccoli with brown rice, not very imaginative or photogenic, but it was quick and it needed to be eaten before it went "off", so that's what I had.

Annie

• User
    14 years ago

Good Idea Annie! Snow Squalls here and it's just plain nasty out.

Clive doesn't care for biscuits on top of pot pie but he loves them along side turkey or chicken stew. So the filling is now a stew with biscuits on the side.

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Not very healthy tonight, but I had a craving for beer battered onion rings! So I made sloppy joes and onion rings for dinner. Sometimes ya just gotta....

I took a picture, but somehow I accidentaly deleted it! Oh well.

Linda

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Yesterday I made a cabbage and potatoe soup (kind of a caldo verde variation) with extra hot chourico. I wanted something spicy, and, boy, did I get it! I forgot how hot the extra hot is!

Tonight was a cheese omelet with salsa and avocado slices. It's a standby from when I'm feeling lazy or craving avocados.

Lori, that chicken and the soup look and sound wonderful.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Oh dear, it's a good thing this isn't a restaurant, I wouldn't know what to pick, Lori's crabmeat egg benedict or Linda's maple chili pork or onion rings or pot pie, or...

Renee, you can keep the extra hot soup, LOL, you know what a wuss I am!

Ashley wanted mashed potatoes, she just loves them, so we had baked chicken cutlets, mashed potatoes and green beans. She and Cooper were both happy. I dipped the chicken in milk and rolled it in some panko seasoned with penzey's Mural of Flavor. It wasn't bad, but it needed salt, LOL, Mural of Flavor is a salt free seasoning and I could tell!

After supper Ashley and I baked, she's involved in a fund raiser for St. Jude's Children's Hospital, so I baked Rocky Road Muffins while she made blueberry struesel muffins, and then I made Ann T's scones with frozen blackberries while she made some peanut butter fudge brownies. We finished off with cinnamon rolls, hopefully she'll sell it all, plus whatever everyone else brings.

The brownies were especially yummy, but very sweet:

Annie

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

Oh Cathy, I am sorry it didn't work for you...Maybe I had beginners luck...I think I did dump them in and then stand them up!

Linda, I must have had the same craving...

Beer battered onion rings, meatloaf stuffed with spinach, onions and mozzarella,sauce served on the side.and wild rice.

Everything looks good..too good!
    Annie hope the fund raiser for St Jude's went well...as I said on your other thread, my niece is a doctor there in TN. They were up for New Years...it was so good to see them..We talked about the fall in donations due to this economy..

• shaun
    14 years ago

Lima Bean Soup!

• dixiedog_2007
    14 years ago

So many good looking meals. Last night we had pulled BBQ Chicken, coleslaw and baked beans.

Tonight is spaghetti, salad and crusty bread. Lot's of snow coming down in VA.

I would like to get back to posting some pictures but just have been very busy but I really do enjoy seeing everyone elses.:)

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Yes I could go for some of your soup Shaun followed by onion rings, and a piece of Annie's brownies. How I love forbidden things. But it won't be for too much longer.
    It's been a beautiful day but now at night Bibi has just come in from outside and jumped on my knee and her back is wet so it must be raining.
    I feel the need for some warm soup before going to bed.

We were out today for a light midday dinner. Wolf had a slice of roast pork swimming in mushroom gravy with rice....as he likes it, and I had a grilled chicken breast and salad.
    I've bought fish, broccoli and assorted vegetables for tomorrow.

I'm glad the roses are all pruned now. It's time to pick the limes from the tree. Hope I can freeze some, as I've never tried it.

Have a good Sunday everyone!

SharonCb

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Kathleen, those onion rings look good, and so does Shaun's bean soup.

SharonCB, I think your grilled chicken looks even better than Wolf's gravy!

Dixie, I don't know why I never think of making BBQ'd chicken and baked beans except in the summer, that sounds good.

It's still bitterly cold here, right now it's 12F with windchills much lower than that. I went to the farm, filled tanks and checked feeders, treated the horses, checked for eggs. There weren't any. Elery and I came back and I made some black bean and venison chili:

Yesterday Elery fired up the grill and made ribs while I roasted cauliflower. I couldn't seem to get a good picture, though the ribs were very good:

I made some savory muffins with feta, oregano, red peppers, onion, tomato and black olives. I picked out the olives, of course. It was another experiment for a possible wedding appetizer, I froze them on Friday and thawed them today and they held up well, so we'll add that to the list of possibles:

Friday night I made some panko breaded fish which I baked, along with some roasted zucchini, cabbage, sweet potato and tomato slices. As usual, the panko came off the fish, I should have just saved my time and the panko:

Annie

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

Sharon, I agree with Annie..I think your meal looks lovely! I am not a big gravy fan...

Annie, it all looks good..but I am partial to ribs, so fill 'er up! :)

And now the pressure is on for someone to start the next thread with something really pretty!
    Who is ready?? :)
    Post #100...L O

• dirtgirl07
    14 years ago

Sharon, I made the mistake of coming on here tonight without having had dinner. That roast pork with rice and gravey absolutely looks delicious!

As for your limes, here's part of a post from the harvest forum from ruthieg in tx if it helps:

"I buy a couple of bags when they are in season and just toss the bags into the freezer. Usually stick them on the door and I use them for the whole year. If I don't remember fast enough that I'm going to need on and get it defrosted, I nuke it for a minute..works for me..I do lemons too and I have done oranges when they were getting past their prime."