SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

The amazing benefits of moderate exercise

jenn
19 years ago

Believe it or not, there are people who think it's not really necessary to exercise. I don't mean they know they should but they're lazy... I mean they don't think they need it. The owner of my Curves gym said she can't believe how many women in their 50s and 60s tell her they don't think they need to exercise.

So... I thought I'd share this amazing testimony about the amazing benefits of exercise.

About 2 weeks ago our neighbor was taken to the hospital by ambulance. She was coughing up blood. They discovered her speen had torn, so they removed her spleen. She spent the next week or so recovering in intensive care. In addition to that, she has a chronic auto-immune disease that causes extreme fatigue and weakness, and she is a recent cancer survivor. Most people in this condition would be very poor candidates for surgery.

She recovered from surgery and came home from the hospital on Saturday. Her daughter told me that the doctor said "If she wasn't in as good a shape as she is in, if she was sedentary, she wouldn't have made it through this."

Almost every day she takes a walk with another neighbor, and 3 days a week she goes to a water aerobics class. In spite of the physical weakness caused by her chronic illness (which most people would use as an excuse to not exercise), she exercises almost every day. And because she does, she survived a life-threatening episode and is back home recovering. As soon as she is able, she'll go back to her walks and her water aerobics class. Oh yeh... she's 82 years old.

Another example is the woman down the street who walks to and from the grocery store every day, caring a small bag of groceries home with her. It's at least a 2 mile round trip each time, so I bet she walks about 6 miles a day. Her back is very rounded but she walks with a quick step. Someone recently asked her why she does it. Her reply: "If I don't, I won't be able to move". Her age: 95.

The main purpose of exercise isn't to lose weight or keep us thin or give us hard bodies! It's to strengthen our bodies, build endurance, and keep us there. I hope this motivates us all to get moving and keep moving! :-)

Jen

Comments (9)

Sponsored