SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
disneyginger

What's Happening at Your House for Super Bowl Sunday?

disneyginger
16 years ago

We are having a bash with a big mix of family, friends, and a few odds and end neighbors and a few work buddies.

We have a big screen television and my husband bought a new 42 incher to add to our viewing pleasures.

Now, I have to cook! Anyone know how to make and serve "carnitias"? I know it is some sort of beef and after that, the recipes out of my available searches are as diverse as saying I am making "pie" and not knowing what the filling is or the crust for that matter!

Of course there will be wings and celery/dip, some chili, and I think lots of crudites and dips.

Chips and dips.

Stuffed mushrooms are always good. And, I could do lots of barbeque. I have been wanting to try a brisket and some Carolina Pulled Pork for a long time, so this might be the time!

Anyone even know WHAT carnitas are? I really need to make them, as they've been.. "requested".

What are you doing for the big game.

(I really want the Pats to make history with a win, but I love little Eli Manning and have the heart for the underdog win.. Go Giants!)

Comments (40)

• cat_mom
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Go Giants!!! :-)

• michaelmaxp
    16 years ago

I just this year watched a little football for the first time since the mid eighties. I don't have any football pals so will probably watch the game by myself. That's not a bad thing for me.

On the other hand, my son, his wife and my 3 grandkids may come over as they do most Sundays. In that case, we'll cook an experimental gourmet feast and not turn the tube on at all.

michaelp

• Related Discussions

How did you spend Super Bowl Sunday?

Q

Comments (19)
    oh Manitou Springs what a blast from my past! I love that town too, I used to drive there a lot just to hang out. Such a pretty place and fun. Have not been there in years and probably will never make it back. Yesterday I loaded my slow cooker with my pulled pork stuff and let it cook all day so we could have sandwiches for dinner. Hubby watched some of the game, we both tried to catch most of the commercials. I sat in my chair and played with my tablet surfing various sites and reading. I had bought some pantry storage cabinets so we put one of those together for my kitchen, it will be well needed storage. That pretty much covers it .
    ...See More

Super Bowl Non-Fans, What Are You Doing?

Q

Comments (12)
    We never watch the Superbowl. Or the Canadian version: The Grey Cup. Unless Calgary is playing and even that's not a promise. It's just another Sunday for me. I need to shower and get my bedding washed. I just took 12 eggs out of the oven. I baked them scrambled with onions and ham in large muffin cups to take one a day for breakfast, to work. They're just cooling on the counter right now before I pop them out of the cups. Other than that, not sure what I want to do. I bought a bucket of paint to paint my hallway, but I need to be in the mood to do that. I'm so not in the mood....
    ...See More

What to do with Super Bowl leftovers

Q

Comments (7)
    I'd like the chicken and waffles AND the pulled pork. I wouldn't turn down the cole slaw either. Everything sounds delicious, which is why those leftovers are definitely not a bad thing. The egg rolls sound like a good use for the leftovers, and pulled pork sandwiches with BBQ sauce and cole slaw are a favorite of mine. Good use for those Kaiser rolls of yours, Ricky... The pork could also be used in tamales, quesadillas, arepas or chili, fried rice, used to top baked potatoes or nachos, put it in taco salad or pasta sauce, or just freeze it in individual portions for sandwiches later. Annie
    ...See More

Sunday dinner! Mine was at home! What about yours?

Q

Comments (25)
    I had roasted a turkey breast last week, then made stock from the bones - turned that into a turkey vegetable soup seasoned with poultry seasoning, a little wasabi powder, and a cup or so of sauerkraut. Yeah I was in an experimental mood! and wanted spicy. It was good! I finished it off tonight.
    ...See More
  • scott55405
    16 years ago

The sports fan ex is going to be here visiting from Minnesota. I'll let him choose whether to watch here or be dispatched to a sports bar type atmosphere with interested people and larger TVs. I'll go to the beach, or shopping or movie depending on the weather.

• steelmagnolia2007
    16 years ago

We never were Giants fans before, but that all changed once they drafted Eli. What a great kid! Win or lose, hope he plays a gutsy game to shut up all the jerks.

Ginger, carnitas literally means "little meats". Traditionally, it's pork that's well-browned and cooked until it's falling-apart tender and shreds easily. You can serve it in taco shells or wrap it in tortillas for a burrito (my preference). For a crowd, you might want to offer both. Just serve it with all the usual toppings -- salsa (hot and mild), sour cream, grated cheese, etc. It's a great choice for a big casual party because it's even better if made a day or two in advance. All you have to do is keep it warm in a crockpot and let everybody help themselves to whatever extras they like.

There's a wonderful recipe in the Chevy's Restaurant cookbook. It's posted at the recipezaar website (the title is something like "The World's Best Carnitas"). Sorry, but I seem to be too dumb to figure out how to post a link here.

sm

• vacuumfreak
    16 years ago

What is this super bowl thing that everyone keeps talking about? Is it a mixing or serving bowl? Do they sell them at William Sonoma?

• loagiehoagie
    16 years ago

Bobby, they have them at Bed, Bath and Beyond. $19.99 but you can get 20 percent off that price with a coupon.

...but you don't have the storage space for it anyway.

I would get the toaster instead.

Duane

• disneyginger
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I found the recipe at RecipeZaar and formatted it to be easy to read.

The Best Ever Carnitas
    6-8 servings
    2 1/2 hours 30 min prep

3 lbs pork butt or pork shoulder
    1 orange, quartered
    1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 cup Pepsi, plus more Pepsi, as needed
    3/4 cup oil or shortening

Fuego Spice Mix:
    Makes 1 cup, youll use 1 tablespoon of it for Carnitas Recipe.
    1/4 cup paprika
    2 teaspoons cayenne
    2 tablespoons salt
    2 teaspoons white pepper
    2 tablespoons ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons garlic granules
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 tablespoons oregano

Agua Negra Marinade
    Makes 3 1/4 cups, youÂll use use 1 cup of it for Carnitas Recipe.
    1 cup soy sauce
    2 cups pineapple juice
    2 tablespoons cumin
    2 teaspoons garlic, minced
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice

Fuego Spice Mix:
    Combine all ingredients, mixing well. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Agua Negra Marinade:
    Combine all ingredients with a whisk. Stores in the refrigerator for 2 days.

Carnitas:
    Trim away excess fat from pork and cut into 3 inch cubes. Dust meat with Fuego spice mix and press to adhere well. Squeeze juice from oranges into an airtight nonreactive container, add peels, garlic,pepper, pepsi and Aqua Negra arinade- mix to combine well. Add seasoned meat and refrigerate overnight. Remove meat from the marinade (reserve marinade) the next day when you are ready to cook. Heat oil/shortening in a large heavy skillet over high heat until fat is smoking; add pork and brown completely on all sides- about 15 minutes.
    Add reserved marinade and simmer for about 2 hours or until pork is tender and dark brown- add additional Pepsi as needed while cooking to keep meat covered.
    Remove meat and chop into 3/4 inch pieces.

It is a more involved recipe than just throwing something into a crockpot, like the requesting person said! But, it looks good. I thought it was beef, but I can see pork being just as good and probably better.

Do you serve it with cheese and tomatoes and lettuce and that sort of thing too? I have never had carnitas, so I am sorry if I sound stupid, I just have never eaten it, or even remember carnitas as an option before. In fact, for some reason, I thought a carnita was some kind of a marinated beef sandwich! I don't know why I thought that, but I did!

• dedtired
    16 years ago

I like to go shopping on SBS. I have the mall to myself and I don't care about football. However, I am rooting for the Pats so it makes Lori316 happy.

• coleen3201118
    16 years ago

If you're lazy (like me), there's an easier carnitas recipe on allrecipes. Ronald's carnitas or something like that. Very easy and quite tasty!

GO GIANTS!!!

• cindy_5ny
    16 years ago

Even though we now live in Giant territory, we are long time Steeler fans and have a football buffet every week during the regular season to watch the games ... but if the Steelers are in the Super Bowl, we don't have a party, we want to concentrate on the game, LOL. Needless to say, this year we will be having a party :)

Thanks for the recipe, Ginger - I haven't really thought about the menu yet, but Mexican sounds good!

I've been checking out a couple of sites for recipes .... looks like some good ideas on foodnetwork.com and razzledazzle superbowl recipes, guess I have to start planning my menu soon.

We have friends that are both Pats fans and Giants fans so we don't know who to root for! :)

Cindy

• cindy_5ny
    16 years ago

Oops - sorry for the bad link - here it is corrected ...

razzledazzle superbowl recipes

• woodie
    16 years ago

Root for the Giants, Cindy!

• stacy3
    16 years ago

Nothing. Nada.

We will actually be celebrating the fact that DH won't be here so we won't have to have it on TV...I will miss the commercials and the halftime show.

I wore out my football enthusiasm in the heyday of the Bills...kind of fizzled out after those four consecutive fruitless efforts at a superbowl win. It just doesn't seem the same anymore.

Plus the fact that DH has to have EVERY SINGLE COLLEGE AND PRO GAME ON DURING FOOTBALL SEASON...And you can't talk to him. He's in his own sick little world. That also kind of turned me off to it. :-)

oh well, enjoy it everybody else.

Stacy

• steelmagnolia2007
    16 years ago

Ginger -- sorry if my first post was confusing. It's so cold here I probably had brain-freeze and didn't realize it. Lemme try again.

Okay, first of all, the term "carnitas" really just refers to the spiced, slow-cooked meat itself. What's confusing is that a lot of people use it to mean the whole dish that you make out of it. The best comparison I can think of is a hot dog. Literally speaking, it's just a type of ground meat (and Lord knows what else) inside a sausage casing. But if you said you had a hot dog for dinner, most people would assume you meant that it was inside a bun, slathered with condiments. Same with carnitas. If someone tells you they had carnitas for dinner, you know they mean the spiced, slow-cooked meat with several different toppings, wrapped up in the Mexican equivalent of a 'bun'. (Am I making sense yet, or just boring you to tears?)

You're definitely right about the countless variations, but to simplify things a little, here's what it boils down to...

1. The first thing is to decide what meat to use. Although it's traditionally pork, you can certainly use beef. I'd definitely do pork -- but I'm a traditionalist. :)

2. The next (and most important) thing is to find a good recipe. Oddly enough, the only two I've ever tried are the one I recommended and the one coleen mentioned. (The exact name if you search allrecipes is "Ronaldo's Beef Carnitas".) It's been a long time since I made the latter, but I think I may have substituted pork. Anyway, it's good but not nearly flavorful enough to make our tastebuds happy. The other one is fabulous. Of course, when you're throwing a big party, you have to consider things like cost and time. The one from recipezaar is definitely not a quick prep -- I just meant it was easy in the sense that it can be made totally in advance and simply reheated. If you choose the simplified version, or one similar, I'd suggest you increase the spices a good bit so it won't be bland.

3. Next decision is what sort of 'bun' to use. A soft tortilla is most common for the wrap, but a lot of people like the meat in taco shells. Actually, it's also a great stuffing for tamales, but I don't think you want to go there! I much prefer the tortilla (warned you I was a traditionalist!), but it's harder to serve to a crowd. A room temp shell is fine for most people, but a cold tortilla is a real turn-off. Offering both would be great, but logistics and the amount of help you'll have may dictate your choice here.

4. Last, but not least, you'll need to decide on toppings. Instead of mustard, ketchup, pickle relish for that hot dog, think standard accompaniments for Mexican dishes -- grated cheese, sour cream, salsa. (Depending on the age and tastes of your guests, I'd offer at least 2 levels of heat in the salsa -- mild and medium. If you know some really like it hot, serve that also.) I've never had shredded lettuce, but that might be something you need if you decide on using taco shells. You can make guacamole or just chop up an avocado. Thinly-sliced green onions are another option, and lime wedges are good.

Sorry to run on and on, but I hope this clarifies things.

• triciae
    16 years ago

What do ya mean..."What's Happening at Your House for Super Bowl Sunday"?

WE ARE WATCHING & CHEERING FOR THE PATS & BRADY...what else would we be doing? We can always eat. I want to watch the game...every single play. I don't want to be in the kitchen. Nobody will care about eating until after the game anyway around here. Well, I'll sit out a bowl of Pepto Bismol tablets to settle the stomachs!

Actually, it doesn't really matter who wins. The Pats have given us such an incredible season! They're already winners in my book. 18-0 doesn't happen every year. Tomorrow is the big kick-off celebration to send them on their way to Arizona. :)

/tricia

• disneyginger
    Original Author
    16 years ago

steelmagnolia2007 THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

• patti43
    16 years ago

Cindy, thanks for the link. Lots of yummy-sounding recipes on it. Going to a yearly party so it will really help as I haven't found anything different from the usual.

• caliloo
    16 years ago

"WE ARE WATCHING & CHEERING FOR THE PATS & BRADY...what else would we be doing? We can always eat. I want to watch the game...every single play. I don't want to be in the kitchen. Nobody will care about eating until after the game anyway around here. Well, I'll sit out a bowl of Pepto Bismol tablets to settle the stomachs!"

AMEN Tricia!

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

is it today ?

is there anything special planned for half-time entertainment; this is usually the only part I aim to watch.

• eileenlaunonen
    16 years ago

No its next Sunday...GO GIANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Serving all the traditional stuff,wings chili etc..We also like hot dogs in water with kraut they seem to go over real big and thats nice and easy for me!!

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

I googled super bowl and found out that "Tom Petty to perform at Bridgestone Super Bowl XLII Halftime Show"

I have no idea who he is but I'll assume he's popular.
    Not much info was found on the website about the half time entertainment.

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Superbowl Sunday? Thankfully, I don't have to do one darned thing, including watch the half time entertainment.

I do always kind of like the Budweiser Clydesdale commercials though......

Maybe I'll just sit around and exchange emails with Stacy, LOL.

Annie

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Or me...nobody in our immediate family watches football, tho I have a rabid Liverpool fan in my dgs. Sometimes Dick will go to a party for a bit just to be social, and I encourage him to do so since I don't have to!

Now if you could tell me the PRECISE time Tom Petty would be singing, I'd watch right then. I don't believe he will be exposing anything...

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Oh I don't know...I'm not sure hubby will be here or go south to his buddies big screen...
    Since the Steelers aren't in...he may just stay home..
    I'll just be doing whatever for food...Probably left over pizza from the night before..snicker.....

• lowspark
    16 years ago

Our TVs will be off.... mainly because we'll be at a party at somoene ELSE's house. I'm not much of a fan. I'll be socializing at the party, eating & talking, only watching the game at the moments when I hear screams, cheers & other outbursts which grab my attention.

I'm bringing an appetizer. Possibly Brie en croute (because I have one sheet left in a Pepperidge Farm packet o' two). Unless I think of something better...

• nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
    16 years ago

Nothing. I'll be helping my mother with her income taxes and my husband will be bored out of his mind - not that he's interested in professional football. I have to make sure he has the iPod fully charged plus plenty of reading material, and snacks. At least Pacific Coast Highway will have a lot less traffic for our commute.

• lori316
    16 years ago

Pam, you're the best! Could you cheer for the Red Sox in September/October too? That would also make me happy, but I might be pushing it. ;)

Cindy, don't listen to Woodie...root for the Pats.

I'm wondering about the rest of the country. I figured most people outside New England would be rooting against the Pats because we're always in the superbowl (I'm not rubbing it in....honest! ;) Curious, though.

We usually go to a house party, but last year Bob and I decided it would be the last year to do that and instead we had planned to have a party at our house, especially if the Patriots are in it.

Well, it's not going to be much of a party, but I am still having a few people over.

No idea what I'll make-have to research here. I'll probably have everybody bring one thing and do the rest. I have the day off after so no worries. Still, I wish it was earlier in the day!

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

I'll be practicing my backhand at ping pong club.

I do like how there's NO traffic on SSS.

Too funny Bobby!

• fearlessem
    16 years ago

I think it is just going to be me, DH, and maybe one or two friends, routing like mad for the Patriots!!! Go PATS! (Our five years in Rhode Island left me a serious Pats fan, though I, like Stacy, am a childhood Bills fan from their heyday. I still route for the Bills as well...)

As for food, I think I'm going to be doing BBQ ribs, though the carnitas actually sound like a very good idea. There is a long and yummy thread all about carnitas over on egullet... I've posted the link to it below -- in particular see the post from Jaymes about halfway down the first page. Many others at egullet swear by his recipe... Hmmm. I have been meaning to try making carnitas for a while, and I have the pork shoulder in the freezer... Perhaps a change of menu is in order!

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

I'll make wings, poppers, fresh veggie tray. We aren't die-hard football fans, but do watch sometimes.

I'll be rooting for whatever score I need to win on several "boards". That's the fun part for me. Tom Petty is OK too. At least he'll probably remain clothed.

Just DH and I and maybe one or two of the kids....very relaxed.

Deanna

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

We have tickets for Twelve Angry Men on Sunday. It's a matinée so we'll be home in time for the game. Won't have time and won't feel much like cooking anything. Can't order in pizza 'cause we will have had a big pizza feed on Saturday for the virtual pizza party.

Maybe we'll order in Chinese in honour of Chinese New Years and the Super Bowl!!

• alison
    16 years ago

Probably going to a movie and enjoying the quiet!
    Not much of a football fan.

I did have a plate of poutine and a Molson Canadian last Sunday for the NHL All-Star Game -- does that count as festive, sports-related eating?

• indicanoe
    16 years ago

We'll be cheering for the Patriots!! We are going to a friend's house to watch it on thier tv. I will probably bring aztec bean dip,yum, with tortilla chips. We won't be watching Tom Petty though....a few years ago we started a tradition that a leftover christmas tree gets burned during the half time....let me tell ya, they burn pretty well by Feb. Its pretty funny, the boys all stand around the tree in the snow and make attempts at "lighting" the tree, and then eventually whoosh...and half-times over. GO PATS!!

• daylilydayzed
    16 years ago

My hubby doesn't watch football so we will not celebrate the Super Bowl. I don't care for football and he doesn't want to watch since he can't play. He got hurt playing football in High school that ended any chance of playing pro, Knee injury.
    I am so glad that he doesn't like to watch.

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

alison I checked your home page....I was so sure you must be a Canadian...maybe displaced?

Poutine and Molson's...that is about as Canadian as it gets...butter tarts for dessert!

Now I am jonesing for poutine......

• shaun
    16 years ago

Annie and Stacy, don't forget me! I can't stand football so I'll be sitting here at the computer while hubs and son watch it.

I might make some Brats; saw Paula Dean and her son making them the other day and they looked so good!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

My Dad, who lives with us is a FAN (Auburn '55), so we have the nfl package and watch every college and pro game. Well, he does at least.
    I'm happy that he gets sooo happy every September through January each year.
    I enjoy the commercials and the general hula bula that goes with the last game.
    I'll make something he really loves, and enjoy his excitement. Dh will watch it too but he hasn't a clue as to what's going on.
    I have a big deadline Monday so I'll be working also.

• jannie
    16 years ago

Dh and I are doing what we always do-stay home, watch the game on TV, enjoy the commercials and half-time show. Everybody in the world discusses the commercials and half-time show the next day. Don't want to feel out of the loop!

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Most of the commercials are cut out here in Canada...they go to "local" ads....boring! LOL

• caflowerluver
    16 years ago

Probably be working outside if the weather is nice or inside if not. I have never watched a Superbowl in 56 years on this planet and in 30 years of marriage. I am so thankful I married a man who doesn't like sports.

Did you know that is a very good day to buy a car or a big purchase like a TV because the stores are deserted. The only problem is getting a salesman to pull himself away from the TV.
    Clare

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus