SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tulips33

Cables and wiring? Cat6, hdmi, coaxial, ethernet?

tulips33
10 years ago

I've been reading a lot on here about wiring our new construction for audio/computer/video....but I just want to make sure I get all my wires straight.
We're hoping to do some of the audio, security, etc wiring ourselves so if someone could direct me to the wires we should be using I could focus my research.

What we want to do:
~Hook the TV up to a cable or satellite service.
~Stream things from our computer onto the TV (if you can do that)
~Multi-zone audio with multi volume and source control (preferably using a smart phone or ipod/ipad) (want my sources or audio to be TV, music from ipad/smart phone or computer)
~security system with cameras
~be able to connect a computer to the wall and have internet access or access files on other computers
~wi-fi throughout house

My question is what cables do I need for each of the things on my list?

Cables:
Cat6- it's my understanding that these are used to connect speakers to amplifier/controller and to connect computers and tvs to the internet. Is it used for anything else? (is this needed to wire security cameras to the tv/computer?)

Coaxial - this I'm familiar with b/c we've always used it to hook our TV and computer to cable and internet. Is this still needed or is cat6 used for the same thing?

HDMI - is there a reason to wire a house with HDMI cables?

Wire speakers - connects speakers to what - volume control in room? What if you aren't doing a volume control and wanted to use an ipod/ipad/smartphone would those speaker wires just run down to a central location?

Is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks so much for anyone answering my dumb questions! I've just read so much and it'd really help to clarify these things so I can make sure I'm not missing anything.

This post was edited by tulips33 on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 9:37

Comments (9)