SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erinmn_gw

Retrofitting old home attic with hardwood floors

erinmn
19 years ago

Hi, here's hoping I get some good ideas. I live in an 80 y.o. bungalow in Mpls and my heating bills were extraordinary last winter. The biggest part of the problem is my extraordinarily inefficient 80 y.o. gas-fired gravity furnace. I get that, oh how do I get that. But I can't replace it yet, I'm still broke after moving last year. So I'd like to better insulate the attic. My house is almost a storey and a half, there's 6' headroom at the peak of the attic and it has halfway decent hardwood floors. Someday I'd like to expand up there since I only have 800 sf living space. The attic ceiling is uninsulated. I can see through the gaps in the floor that there is some blown in (likely cellulose) insulation under the floor. Is my best bet to try to pull up some floorboards to pump in more cellulose? (Ugh) Or should I insulate the rafters with fiberglass batts (and have to heat the attic space...)? Or could I get those 2 inch thick foam boards and lay them on top of my attic floor every Nov-March (so the cats can still play up there in the less inclement months)? Are they a big fire hazard? Please, any ideas? Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored