SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Food from around the world...kind of.

annie1992
14 years ago

Elery is here so we actually cooked, and we had the strangest assortment of food ever, we were both chuckling at our "international selection".

Last night we had Mexican, in the form of Ann T's stacked enchiladas. I like them a lot and Elery loved them, they'll be on the menu again for sure.

while I was at work yesterday, Elery was busy smoking pastrami, let's see, that's Italian? Nope, it's not, it's actually Yiddish, a traditional Jewish food. At any rate, this is the third pastrami we've made, we'll get it perfect eventually. In the meantime it's pretty darned good:

this morning we got up and I made Scottish Oat Cakes, right from the side of the Scottish Oats package. Kind of like an oatmeal cookie, but not sweet, it went pretty well with my egg and grapefruit half:

For lunch, I made sushi, just for a change, with wasabi and soy sauce, that was my Asian influence:

It's probably not authentic, but I made it with what I had on hand. That was brown rice, the Florida avocado I'd bought for my taste test comparison, some wild caught Lake Michigan salmon that Elery had smoked last summer and put in the freezer and a bit of low fat cream cheese:

Nope, I'd say it definitely wasn't authentic, LOL.

Finally, I tried a new recipe from Eating Well, for Indian Mango Dal, I'd gotten mangoes 3 for 99 cents at Horrocks. The recipe called for yellow lentils, I was lucky to get any lentils at all here in my tiny town, so I just used what was available. The yellow would have been prettier but this was really good, sweet from the mangoes, a bit hot from the cayenne and fresh ginger, I needed to cut the cilantro a bit finer:

It was all good but I especially recommend the dal:

Indian Mango Dal

From EatingWell January/February 2010

More than 60 different types of dal (or dhal) are made across India. The basic dish contains lentils or other legumes flavored with aromatics and spices. Here, yellow lentils (toor dal) and mango are cooked in a more traditionally Southern India stylemore souplike. Both ripe and underripe mango will work: less-ripe mango imparts a tart flavor and holds its shape, while riper mango breaks down more during cooking and gives the dish a sweeter taste. Serve over basmati rice or with roasted chicken.

6 servings, about 1 cup each

Â1 cup yellow lentils

Â4 cups water

Â1 teaspoon salt, divided

Â1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric

Â1 tablespoon canola oil

Â1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds

Â1 medium onion, chopped

Â4 cloves garlic, minced

Â1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger

Â1/2 teaspoon ground coriander

Â1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Â2 mangoes, peeled and diced

Â1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1.Place lentils in a colander and rinse until the water runs clear. Combine lentils, 4 cups water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and turmeric in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.

2.Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and cook until fragrant and starting to brown, about 30 seconds. Add onion; cook, stirring, until soft and beginning to brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, coriander, cayenne and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more.

3.Stir the garlic mixture and mangoes into the lentils. Return to a simmer; cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are falling apart, 10 to 15 minutes more. Stir in cilantro.

Per serving : 186 Calories; 3 g Fat; 2 g Mono; 9 g Protein; 9 g Fiber; 398 mg Sodium; 511 mg Potassium

1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat

Annie

Comments (38)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations