SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherilynn_gw

Advice Needed

sherilynn
15 years ago

We GC'd the building of our retirement home here in NE Florida, which has about 4,400 sf of finished/heated/cooled space. We made sure we insulated well and used a radiant barrier. We have electric heat and a 500 gallon propane gas tank for our water heater, dryer, gas range top with electric oven, grill, back-up generator.... and fireplace. (Pilot light is off on the fireplace.) We also have deep porches, which helps with the heat.

I have 11 interior water sources in our home. (Five baths, extra sinks, two sinks in a salon, laundry sink, etc...). I also have two washers and dryers in our laundry room.

The cost of propane is going through the roof. I am hardly using the gas dryer at all. Maybe a half a dozen times a month for about 5~8 minutes at a time. I only dry sheets, towels, and whites in the electric dryer. I hang everything else up to dry. Our propane gas bill was running about $100/month three years ago, but is now rocking at $300/month now! As the gas prices go up for the cars, so does the propane gas. Keep in mind, we still have an electric bill on top of the gas bill.

We need to do something to cut out the majority of the propane use. I believe a huge culprit is the hot water tank.

Do you have any suggestions as to what we can do to save money, heat the water, get rid of the majority of the appliances that siphon off the gas?

All suggestions would be helpful. Thank you,

Sheri Lynn

Comments (3)

Sponsored